Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842801 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1350 on: February 08, 2015, 11:03:27 am »

with the upcoming addition of taverns and the recent addition of both sexual preferences and lust propensity what are your thoughts on one of worlds oldest professions, prostitution? as taverns and bars where being used as makeshift brothels for centuries and some evidence's that temples to fertility goddesses had sacred prostitution as far back as 1800BCE.

Very old quote from a thread on this subject:
Speaking of cheap tricks, were people turned off because Ultima (7?) had prostitutes?  Ultima 7p2 had a nude lesbian scene.  That kind of thing doesn't bother me.  I'm not sure what I think about dwarven prostitutes though, or even dwarven marriage.  Both genders seem like a bunch of heavy drinking workaholics, though they do share beds with their spouses (and their pets).  The dwarves I'm portraying aren't "slightly stupid" in a general sense, as they are very talented artisans and engineers -- this mechanical/crafting bent pulls them away from the common man analogy.  They are also emotionally unbalanced and strangely attracted to lava flows, though.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: February 08, 2015, 11:07:01 am »

From that it sounds like he has no particular problem with it, so it could be added.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: February 08, 2015, 02:44:49 pm »

I think since then, though, Toady has become more conscious of potential scandal. He did remove crass words from the game's dictionaries, for example. And even there, he's thinking it's not a thing for dwarves which would make it unlikely in dwarven taverns.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: February 08, 2015, 02:47:48 pm »

Is there any plan to fix some of the issues of egg-laying civilizations? plz. for kobolds.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: February 08, 2015, 03:21:31 pm »

I think since then, though, Toady has become more conscious of potential scandal. He did remove crass words from the game's dictionaries, for example. And even there, he's thinking it's not a thing for dwarves which would make it unlikely in dwarven taverns.

Other species than dwarves can run taverns, though, especially with multi species forts...

"Obok's Gentleman's Club" may be shunned by most dwarves, but less scrupulous peoples may avail of it.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: February 08, 2015, 05:07:03 pm »

Is there any plan to fix some of the issues of egg-laying civilizations? plz. for kobolds.

He was planning on doing proper Kobold sites back when he was doing elf, gob, and dwarf sites, I imagine some egg problems will be be a part of that whenever he gets back to it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: February 08, 2015, 06:42:22 pm »

Ummm.. darwen brothels... we could finally find use for the name Urist McDaddy  :P
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: February 08, 2015, 11:00:14 pm »

the potential scandal is a non-issue in my mind, the game grand theft auto V has off screen prostitution and has sold over 34 million units and made take 2 interactive over 1 billion in revenue, this is in spite of the "Hot Coffee Mod" scandal of a previous game, its like they say, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

I mean even the game dragon age had a scene where the player could engage in prostitution with two nugs no less. http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Nug

Very old quote from a thread on this subject

The main reason it came to mind is because of the Lust Propensity value, I've had dwarves with a very high lust value and it just made me think of adultery, cuckoldry and prostitution and while the first two aren't relevant to the current dev ark prostitution is relevant for taverns and temples.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: February 09, 2015, 05:44:56 pm »

the potential scandal is a non-issue in my mind
I feel the same. But the game is Toady's livelihood, we can hardly fault him for being inclined towards caution.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: February 09, 2015, 07:02:09 pm »

-edit-
Never mind. It's not worth it.
-end edit-

The prostitute question's been answered by Footkerchief, and like nearly every feature-creep inducing suggestion-disguised-as-a-question, the answer is most probably going to be "Maybe later, maybe not, no specific timeline on that." if Toady addresses it at all. Any further discussion is pointless here, and belongs in suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:44:50 pm by Man In Zero G »
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust the plump helmet! ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: February 10, 2015, 12:57:49 am »

with the upcoming addition of taverns and the recent addition of both sexual preferences and lust propensity what are your thoughts on one of worlds oldest professions, prostitution? as taverns and bars where being used as makeshift brothels for centuries and some evidence's that temples to fertility goddesses had sacred prostitution as far back as 1800BCE.

Very old quote from a thread on this subject:
Speaking of cheap tricks, were people turned off because Ultima (7?) had prostitutes?  Ultima 7p2 had a nude lesbian scene.  That kind of thing doesn't bother me.

Dwarven nude lesbian scenes ... Sounds interesting. Of course just from pure scientific point of view. ;-)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:01:48 am by Urist McGoombaBrother »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: February 11, 2015, 05:19:05 pm »

-snip-

... Let's just agree to disagree there.

Anyway, with multiracial forts coming into play for the next release, will it be possible to define multiracial entities as well?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: February 13, 2015, 12:07:28 pm »

Anyway, with multiracial forts coming into play for the next release, will it be possible to define multiracial entities as well?

With the possibility of multiracial entities being added in the near future,will it be possible to have interracial marriages between 2 different races and maybe some sort of hybridization as well?(half-elves and half-goblins?)
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: February 13, 2015, 01:29:36 pm »

It depends if the races are the same species or not. Given how different they are in biology (dwarves do not need vitamin D from the sun, can navigate underground, have no size dimorphism between sexes, and feel no ill effects from alcohol), this seems very unlikely.

For old times' sake.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: February 13, 2015, 02:34:57 pm »

That's assuming real-world biology. Fantasy stories tend to have different ideas about biology than our universe (or at least our planet) does, sometimes including half-races. But it almost certainly won't be happening in the near future releases. Well, the marriages might happen within the start scenario framework, I guess.

How are things looking regarding save compatibility? I'm guessing it's at least tricky to inject the new stuff into existing saves.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 306