Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842852 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1530 on: March 09, 2015, 01:26:47 am »

It's not even a check, each group has a unique ID. The name is not used for identification at all.
Naturally, but will the ID be the same or not?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: March 09, 2015, 02:04:42 am »

A new ID is generated for every group and the name has nothing to do with the process.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: March 09, 2015, 07:44:22 am »

Great, now all we need is to be able to bury enemies and then we will have dwarves dancing above the tombs of elves and goblins.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: March 09, 2015, 08:15:00 am »

The dwarves will actually dance during play following the rules of the dance styles? (solo dances vs group dances and so on). How do you think in displaying them, and how will be displayed the music being performed?

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: March 09, 2015, 11:11:14 am »

On that note, Will cats and small children be in danger due to sections punctuated by kicks?
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 09, 2015, 11:17:12 am »

The dwarves will actually dance during play following the rules of the dance styles? (solo dances vs group dances and so on). How do you think in displaying them, and how will be displayed the music being performed?
My guess is that there will some sort of flash tile to indicate dancing, because there's no way to draw the head movements and side-kicks in the current UI.  I expect that dancing partners can occupy the same tile, what would be impressive is if the tile-to-tile movements actually related to the dance descriptions.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #1536 on: March 09, 2015, 02:04:48 pm »

Would it be possible for dancing to be weaponised/afflicted? I'm thinking along the lines of dancing mania: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_mania. I have a compelling mental image of the potential for a forgotten beast to coat a Fortress in dust that renders dwarves unable to do anything but dance until dead, or a Pied Piper character who just shows up at the fort and leads Dwarves off the map with their mesmerising music...

Secondly: How do hostiles deal with music? If a Goblin army lays siege to your fort, and your tavern area happens to be throwing an amazing gig, are attackers in ear-shot likely to drop what they're doing and just start rocking out because the bard's got sick flute skills? 

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 09, 2015, 02:46:30 pm »

My guess is that there will some sort of flash tile to indicate dancing, because there's no way to draw the head movements and side-kicks in the current UI.  I expect that dancing partners can occupy the same tile, what would be impressive is if the tile-to-tile movements actually related to the dance descriptions.

In the last interview Toady mentioned Dancing, he said there something about conveying the concept of Dancing to the Player when you see weird pathing (let me pull that section)

This whole thing is mostly just so dwarves can sing drinking songs. The poetry is going to link up with the dancing and the music and it’ll be able to describe what your dwarf is going when he’s moving left and to the right in the tavern and you’ll be like, ‘is this dwarf’s path-finding broken?’ and it’ll say he’s ‘dancing to the urist’ or whatever and you’ll say, ‘what’s that?’ and it’ll pop-up the five paragraphs that you always never knew you wanted about dwarven dance theory.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 09, 2015, 07:16:46 pm »

snip

Cool, that is what I wanted to know.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 10, 2015, 12:22:54 am »

Secondly: How do hostiles deal with music? If a Goblin army lays siege to your fort, and your tavern area happens to be throwing an amazing gig, are attackers in ear-shot likely to drop what they're doing and just start rocking out because the bard's got sick flute skills? 
That would be the best thing ever, defeating a siege with the power of rock!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: March 10, 2015, 12:49:12 am »

*Sick dodok skills

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 10, 2015, 08:12:22 am »

How does a tavern compare to a dining hall in the mind of a dwarf? If both are available, do they prefer one over the other for their parties or needs?

Also, do songs, dancing, etc. only occur at parties, or will we see people doing them just for fun in their down time?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 10, 2015, 08:22:21 am »

When ergot can grow on rye, then we can see some massive dancing mania outbreaks. The psychological effects of ergot caused a lot of strange behaviour in the past.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

crapabear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: March 11, 2015, 10:25:41 pm »

The newest devlog mentions worldgen teacher-student links. Do you think the framework you'll set up for this will end up being the same framework you'll eventually use to model the transfer of other forms of knowledge? Like fighting styles, etc.?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 11, 2015, 11:48:27 pm »

It looks like it may already be the framework for secret transfer that's been around since 2012?
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 306