Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842529 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1605 on: March 22, 2015, 07:08:18 pm »

After reading the brilliant devlog, I wish the game would tell us stories instead of us having to search the histories for them now.
"DF, tell me a story."
"Yadda yadda yadda... Your fortress has crumbled to its end."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: March 22, 2015, 08:17:06 pm »

After reading the brilliant devlog, I wish the game would tell us stories instead of us having to search the histories for them now.
"DF, tell me a story."
"Yadda yadda yadda... Your fortress has crumbled to its end."
By fiery magma and clowns.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: March 22, 2015, 08:29:59 pm »

https://xkcd.com/1425/

I mean, it's not "virtually impossible", but it'll certainly be quite a diversion when it happens.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: March 22, 2015, 08:42:58 pm »

Will there be partial and unfinished works?

Often great writers/artists like that other Adams everyone knows, the late Terry Pratchett and alike leave unfinished works to very untimely deaths. Will we be able to see such works?

Also now with books more commonplace will the Bookkeeper actualy keep book?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: March 22, 2015, 09:17:23 pm »

Have you heard about weighted A* search which introduces a constant factor w (with w > 1) to A*'s admissible heuristic to improve execution time by trading off the optimality of the results to be no worse than w times the optimal solution ?

Edit for clarification: My intention is to get a quick yes/no-like answer before I'll attempt to write a potentially redundant, proper, lengthy and formal suggestion post about ε-admissible search algorithms that are based on weighted A*.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:22:42 pm by Idranel »

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: March 22, 2015, 10:51:39 pm »

Toady, will you be making a different soundtrack that plays according to events in game to improve situational awareness? Like a 'combat to the death' tract, a 'I hear music' tract, a 'I'm quick traveling' tract, exc...
iirc, we were told that toady wont include new music because its actually him playing  the music, and that takes a lot of time from programming.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 23, 2015, 04:06:22 am »

Do you have plans for gorlaks, or other non civilised creatures making poems, songs, dances, and similar?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 23, 2015, 04:12:29 am »

I feel like it might not be that it's whether there are plans so much as whether it's going to happen anyway...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 23, 2015, 07:17:17 am »

Have you heard about weighted A* search which introduces a constant factor w (with w > 1) to A*'s admissible heuristic to improve execution time by trading off the optimality of the results to be no worse than w times the optimal solution ?

Suggestions go to the Suggestion Forum. There have many threads about path finding. Necro one or start a new one.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Galena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 23, 2015, 07:44:25 am »

Will dwarves read books while on break? And if they read books, will they be able to gain skill from them?
He listed off what sounded like a lot of painful-sounding procedures that needed to be done, then proceeded to immediately throw a party.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 23, 2015, 07:52:02 am »

a good thing, since the early tests without books led to the expected and repeated tragic loss of knowledge and the constant rediscovery of previously known facts without much progress toward advanced techniques.

Oddly enough it isn't always a loss of knowledge caused by tragedy in real life.

An extremely common event is simply that no one can or is willing to adopt the technology and is lost simply through disuse.

It is why with technology that there is something known as the "Social cost of new technology"

It is why even though we had many books on technology that existed that we "rediscovered currently known facts" over and over again.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:53:42 am by Neonivek »

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 23, 2015, 10:23:43 am »

It may be slightly off-topic from what's being talked about right now what with books and such, but I'd like to know:

Toady- have you thought about tweaking with crossbows/ranged weapons having fixed ranges? i.e. the idea of firing a crossbow from a 3z high tower to get extra range?
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 23, 2015, 10:26:48 am »

Since "we aren't tackling any of the difficult questions where game and knowledge intersect," I imagine it won't matter immediately, but in the long run, where will knowledge of adamantine working come from?
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 23, 2015, 11:54:51 am »

Suggestions go to the Suggestion Forum. There have many threads about path finding. Necro one or start a new one.

I might just do that but it'll end up being quite long. I'd prefer not to waste his (and my) time by writing too much about things he is already aware off.
In the interest of saving everyone's time I think this is a perfectly valid yes/no-question before writing a long and formal suggestion post. And I've tried my best to keep it simple without sounding like I'm suggesting he should do x or y.

Weighted A* is one of these basic concepts quite a few other things are based on. To my surprise it seems to be rare to encounter it outside of lectures on autonomous robotics/driving but to assume he never heard of them feels like underestimating Toady.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:58:52 am by Idranel »

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 23, 2015, 04:19:02 pm »

Looks like on the 20th, Toady answered a majority of my questions and confirmed that this game will be everything I have ever wanted, ever.  And more.  <3  And this game WILL make a splash in academia in a variety of fields.  When this game implements fully planned features for economic stuff and procedural determination of value for commodities and services (I hope Toady likes counting's suggestions)... it will be the most sophisticated model of civilizational, cultural, economic, etc. development this world has ever seen.

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 306