Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834346 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1785 on: May 02, 2015, 01:27:04 pm »

Will the distant update require new worlds for the changes to occur?
Considering that everything with new jobs and new civ knowledge requires a regen for mods, I imagine the tavern update will need it yes.

Basically, if the civs never get told about poetry being a thing they oughta generate, they won't generate it, so no dancers and poets. Furthermore, books, instruments and the knowledge to make them are also a typical thing that civs need to understand civ-wide before your dwarves can do them, so that probably needs regening as well.

I imagine you'd be able to define a tavern, but that's basically it.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: May 02, 2015, 03:04:58 pm »

Thanks for the answers!

Will the distant update require new worlds for the changes to occur?
Considering that everything with new jobs and new civ knowledge requires a regen for mods, I imagine the tavern update will need it yes.

Basically, if the civs never get told about poetry being a thing they oughta generate, they won't generate it, so no dancers and poets. Furthermore, books, instruments and the knowledge to make them are also a typical thing that civs need to understand civ-wide before your dwarves can do them, so that probably needs regening as well.

I imagine you'd be able to define a tavern, but that's basically it.
Assuming the update remains save-compatible*, that's about the size of it, yeah:
Quote from: Toady One
Right now, it's still compatible.  It was too difficult to get the old saves to generate new instruments without crashing everything, so they'll be somewhat impoverished.  The dwarves might be able to make completely freeform stuff or nothing at all.  I'll know more when dwarves are using the new forms.  I'm trying to maintain the basic compatibility so I have an easier time with old bug report saves and so on, and there might be some use of the new art stuff in old forts (instrument defs are the hard part, so they might get singing forms, poetry and dance, but I can't promise it).  Other things like taverns/temples/needs etc. should work immediately in old forts, though you won't have as many varied visitors because entire classes of visitors (bards etc.) won't exist in the old worlds.
*And even if this release does, I'm assuming a break in save compatibility will come up sooner rather than later. I didn't have one on the table for the artifacts section originally, but with the mythology generator incoming, it's also a candidate now.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: May 02, 2015, 03:12:27 pm »

As I stated above with plagues, I think my overall inclination is to go ahead with horrible random disasters, but to lean toward giving the player reasonable warnings that allow them to make decisions (like the turning away of migrants) which might be painful but could help.  There are certain things like earthquakes which don't really have something like that, and I think it might be too much just to totally destroy a fort like the old demon timer from 2D (where you didn't even see a demon and it just ended the game, pending an adventure mode run).  Rarely wiping out half of the dwarves in a quake on the other hand...  I can kind of get on board.  Sim City made it entertaining enough when a city-wide disaster struck, and we can probably manage -- especially if the effects of the disaster reverberate outward in a way that can be enjoyed for as long as you're playing the world, rather than just forcing you to rebuild and continue locally.  I'd definitely understand turning that off though, for people that are just interested in working on fort-centered projects and so on.
Seems to me that earthquakes could solve the old problem with calculating structural integrity of player-made structures being resource-intensive. Maybe mix it up a bit, so even a hall in stome could collapse if it's too big and not braced, but that would be rare, while on the other hand if you've got a fort suspending in mid air by a beam of soap, that's gonna fall on any earthquake.
Ooh, definitely sounds like a good suggestion. You should make a thread.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: May 02, 2015, 08:02:19 pm »

Toady, you're awesome, thanks for clearing that up about the greatly respected/legendary hero, makes sense actually because I was thinking a couple of my longer running characters seemed to have "reverted" back to legendary at some point. This game you're making is awesome, and hacking at it and breaking things and doing stupid things with it is awesome.

Recently I figured out how to fake vertical jumps as an adventurer (and Rumrusher promptly expanded it to allow control when throwing your opponents around) but I had to use Roses' method from the propel.lua script of turning your dorf into a projectile to do so.

This leads me to a question:
An active projectile has several flags which were critical in getting my dorfs hopping up into trees (and goblin towers) like PARABOLIC and NO_COLLIDE plus NO_IMPACT_DESTROY, but for the life of me I can't determine what HIGH_FLYING does, would you happen to recall if it is an outdated tag or just for something else entirely? Oh, and do any of the numerical flags there have an effect on the way a projectile lands? When you jump you can land on your feet, using the launch.lua script right now you basically have to keep a hand free and grab on to a wall or tree to stop yourself, or just skid to a stop and hope your armor/toughness can take it.

I am also so freakishly excited for the artifacts/myths update, like [*HEAVY BREATHING INTENSIFIES*] type, though I'm dying to go explore and see how all the music and library stuff plays out, always new stuff popping up to surprise me in the current version, totally new stuff is a treat!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: May 03, 2015, 11:17:17 am »

Not going to green this since it is only a semi serious question but. Is Flat Chains in Banach Spaces one of the things that dwarven scholars can discover and write about?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: May 03, 2015, 11:27:48 am »

As it happens, the question has been kind of been asked and answered (no Banach spaces, so no flat chains in them, so no dissertations by Toady One in game):

Quote from: Heph
So now maths and engineering :P will we get differential gears and banana Spaces?
Generally speaking what are the highest ideas the dorfs or any other civ can come up with?

Differential gears are certainly one of the popular "did they or didn't they" technologies -- just in my quick run through, they were hypothesized in the Greek mechanism as well as the Chinese south-pointing chariot.  I don't remember finding anything definitive online.  I went ahead and made them a difficult tech (and added the pointing chariot and astrarium -- abstractly for now of course).

They can get divergence of the harmonic series and invent a symbol for addition, but no banach spaces.  They can build a theory of rainbows using water-filled spheres and a camera obscura, and they can calculate the height of the atmosphere based on atmospheric refraction using the law of refraction (though it tries not to get into the actual shape of the world, since that might vary).  They can make oil of vitriol and spirit of niter in theory, though I don't remember if we have any vitriols at all.  Historians can start to understand how cultural differences and state bias affects source reliability and think a bit about social forces.  They can come up with dedicated hospitals with specialized wards, staffing, medical labs and treatment for many illnesses.  All sorts of other stuff -- as far as I can tell, none of this bumps up against the soft 1400 cut off, though there was disputed material here and there, in every field, and people are welcome to comment or advocate for inclusion/removal if they have information.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: May 03, 2015, 12:20:47 pm »

I have shamed myself by not seeing that earlier.  Thank you for allowing me to see the error of my ways.

* Greiger commits Sudoku.

(Seriously thanks, I missed that :))
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: May 04, 2015, 08:46:08 pm »

Wow, great devlog!

* a red panda man that became an herbalist in a human village for some years before taking up a wandering life as a musician
    * In adventure mode, you can now play as animal people if they are close to a civilization
    * you could play an elf or even a goblin if some already live in a human city[/li]

So much unexpected good stuff coming in this release!!

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: May 04, 2015, 09:44:46 pm »

So, what part of the visitors will visitors play in our fortresses? Are any of them capable of betraying us during a siege, and say, opening a drawbridge?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: May 04, 2015, 10:07:24 pm »

So, what part of the visitors will visitors play in our fortresses? Are any of them capable of betraying us during a siege, and say, opening a drawbridge?
Spies like vampires with false histories that have them from friendly civs when actually they're from the dark pits down the road, perhaps? That would be cool! High lasher skill being the dead giveaway that gets them the room in the tavern located just above the magma pit...

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: May 04, 2015, 11:57:04 pm »

This is more of a request - could I get adventure mode digging/mining in some simplest form in the next release?
I don't need a signature.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: May 04, 2015, 11:59:25 pm »

Specific bugs should be reported on the bug tracker, and specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.

Lord Herman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: May 05, 2015, 01:17:28 am »

The question about writing being used in engravings made me wonder, will we also see graffiti on walls of towns and ruins, like the drawings found on walls in Pompeii? If so, might it also be possible for adventurers to make their own graffiti?

SupremeSandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: May 05, 2015, 04:15:28 am »

As animal people are playable now can gnomes become playable assuming they've joined the civ?
Training enormous always-burning baby elephant gladiators, who wield inanimate lions.

This is literally possible.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: May 05, 2015, 04:21:17 am »

The question about writing being used in engravings made me wonder, will we also see graffiti on walls of towns and ruins, like the drawings found on walls in Pompeii? If so, might it also be possible for adventurers to make their own graffiti?
If its on the books, then chances are, they adventure will be able to do so as well. I dont remember anything about graffiti being a part of the old dev goals. Though it sounds like a reasonable actions, for the entities to take.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 306