Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1841455 times)

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1875 on: May 13, 2015, 02:03:18 am »

Toady, yesterday you talked about how visitors fall into three categories, and then two more. With long term visitors petitioning the mayor to stay, it sounds like the mayor is becoming an increasingly busy position.

thus

1. Is there any chance of a job/position labelled "government clerk", to free up the mayor's time? Between meeting with liasons (possibly once a season, and even 1 meeting can take over a season), consoling citizens (a la camp counselor) and now approving long term guests or new citizenship requests, is there a chance to free up the mayor's time?

2. Additionally, will how dorfs vote be changing in the near future? Currently they work by voting for the dorf they'd enjoy drinking best with, but will we be seeing a change to vote by merit? Dorfs who have the patience, kindness, etc to do so, more than just being able to talk about what goods we want to order from the company catalog

Additionally I want to ask along the lines of Research

1. Will we be likely to see that research affects the way Dorfs do things? For example with Dorf Chemistry, the boiling of water might (with research unlocked) be used for the distillation of water for use in hospitals, or for the purification of wells. Or in general, would dwarves be able to research ways to clean certain particles (FB dust, spit, blood, etc) from surfaces in ways that would prevent contamination?

2. Are we likely to see art forms and intellectual concepts die off? More than the library of alexandria analogy that was proposed, will we see concepts die off the way that Latin as a language died off? (only practiced in scholastic sense and such)

And lastly (I know I ask a lot of questions, sorry!)

1. With multi-racial and potentially multi-cultural forts, are interracial marriage and adoption on the tables for next release?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: May 13, 2015, 07:52:02 am »

These all aren't questions, they are suggestions disguised as questions.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: May 13, 2015, 08:26:21 am »

How are the visitors (adventurers, artists, scholars) going to arrive?  Accompanying caravans, accompanying migrant waves, on their own?  Will there be special announcements to draw attention to their arrival?

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: May 13, 2015, 09:01:49 am »

1. Is there any chance of a job/position labelled "government clerk", to free up the mayor's time?

New positions or mayoral changes aren't slated fort his release, and haven't been mentioned for the near future.  You can currently mod your own positions and split out the mayoral duties if you wish.

2. Additionally, will how dorfs vote be changing in the near future?

Again, no slated changes to the voting functionality has been slated or mentioned for the near future.

1. Will we be likely to see that research affects the way Dorfs do things?

This has been mentioned as an eventuality with knowledge discoveries affecting workshops and skills.  But it isn't on the table for this release.

2. Are we likely to see art forms and intellectual concepts die off?

Not sure here, as it seems there is a possibility to have all knowledge holders of a given form killed, though there may be books, etc. with the knowledge in them.

1. With multi-racial and potentially multi-cultural forts, are interracial marriage and adoption on the tables for next release?

No.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: May 13, 2015, 09:05:01 am »

About animal people.
Now that they can join various sites, can an adventurer recruit one not from the site but a 'wild' one?

The functionality of playing/recruiting them was mentioned only in regards to the ones that went through the act of civilization and joined a civ.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: May 13, 2015, 09:09:24 am »

With musical instruments being used now, are we going to see other non musical related use of "musical" instruments? Like invaders sounding horns to attack or bells being used to wake up the militia soldiers that are sleeping? Or is this behavior part of the army arc?

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: May 13, 2015, 10:04:52 am »

About animal people.
Now that they can join various sites, can an adventurer recruit one not from the site but a 'wild' one? If so, how would other followers react - would they attack them as they are treated as wild animals or would they let them live?

That is already possible. I do that every time I play as an elf.

In earlier versions non-elven non-animal man followers would attack them but I think they stopped doing that with the last major update.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: May 13, 2015, 07:59:31 pm »

With musical instruments being used now, are we going to see other non musical related use of "musical" instruments? Like invaders sounding horns to attack or bells being used to wake up the militia soldiers that are sleeping? Or is this behavior part of the army arc?
First thing that came to mind:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Naturally I will be testing to see if there are any early bugged instruments that turn out to be skull-splattering doomtoys under certain conditions.

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: May 14, 2015, 12:52:13 am »

Since visitors will be visiting local "establishments", will minting currency have a greater purpose than just to be used as an export item?

I'm not exactly sure what the exchange rate would be, like 1 golden coin for 10k elven bark currency notes? If this is even how it's going to work.

I can just see a possible expansion of the use of currency in this next update as a likely next step. Money for furniture/weapons/food/beer/bounties and whatnot.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:42:22 pm by Admiral Obvious »
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: May 14, 2015, 02:11:28 am »

If the monster hunters are successful in their endeavors during their stay in your fortress, will they make their own trinkets from their kills as they do offsite?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: May 14, 2015, 02:50:43 am »

You mentioned inns will attract visitors due to their reputations sometime back. Would the caverns also attract adventurers due to reputation (monsters found, previous adventurers killed, wealth uncovered, or something?).
I think designing notorious trap/vampire/zombie/yak filled labyrinths to send the world's best adventurers into could be tremendous fun. And betting on the outcome! Then if no-one survives, retire and take it on yourself. :)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: May 14, 2015, 05:23:22 am »

I predict ToadyOne will answer question as follows: "Sounds reasonable. No timeline."
There was this aspect related to combat, with squads keeping formations. That all had to be cut during the last long dev cycle or the one before that. Horns and things in armies back in the olden days were used a lot for signaling changes. So whenever ToadyOne and ThreeToes revisit that topic, is probably when this'll become pertinent again.

You mentioned inns will attract visitors due to their reputations sometime back. Would the caverns also attract adventurers due to reputation (monsters found, previous adventurers killed, wealth uncovered, or something?).
He already stated in the Dev Log that adventures will travel to the Fort and ask permission to slay a beast inside a residing cave. If the adventures aren't currently using that in game rumor to decide where to travel to, then its more then like an eventual plan for them to use that information.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: May 14, 2015, 06:22:05 am »

Ah yes, I was referring to the devlog. Was wondering if the adventurers Toady mentioned were attracted by the quality of the Inn or the 'quality' of the cavern. If I build a gorgeous inn, will legendary warriors petition to face the fearsome Gorlak living peacefully a few floors down, or will they only turn up after a few FBs have taken over the underworld.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: May 14, 2015, 05:10:42 pm »

Since visitors will be visiting local "establishments", will minting currency have a greater purpose than just to be used as an export item?

I'm not exactly sure what the exchange rate would be, like 1 golden coin for 10k elven bark currency notes? If this is even how it's going to work.

I can just see a possible expansion of the use of currency in this next update as a likely next step. Money for furniture/weapons/food/beer/bounties and whatnot.
I believe Toady's said that the main point of running taverns is currently for fun, and people visiting the tavern won't actually be paying for anything. Though, I guess past fun now that adventurers can visit your tavern it could be a source of non-dwarven soldiers which has practical uses.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: May 14, 2015, 05:35:35 pm »

God I am so geeked for the idea of hanging out in a tavern with dancing dorfs and later being able to hit things with a lute, good weapon or not.

Then later I can use a !!lute!! for it!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 306