Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834428 times)

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1950 on: May 22, 2015, 05:03:48 pm »

They don't need to eat or drink, but they should be able to if they want to. And they're the sort who should not have any aversion to getting blind drunk (not that anybody gets drunk really - yet) and gorging themselves on fine dwarven cuisine for the sheer pleasure of it, as their personalities skew toward immoderation.

But they don't strictly need to. They won't die or anything if they don't.

However, they're probably not going to because of coding. But they should have the option to.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: May 23, 2015, 11:07:36 am »

I for one, consider them being well, beings of flesh and bone they should sustain themselves not unlike dwarves and humans. And drink and sleep to.

I didn't knew they can't eat. I always remove the no-eat/drink/sleep from their raws, so far the thrive just as fine but didn't know they where incapable of it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: May 23, 2015, 11:24:05 am »

Goblins are minor demons (IIRC), so it'd make sense that they don't need to eat or drink. However, they are demons. Like Man said, it'd make sense sense if they had the option to (and they probably will if you remove the appropriate tags). I mean, they can vomit, so it'd make sense that they ate for some reason every once in a while. Even if it isn't for sustenance.
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: May 23, 2015, 01:58:27 pm »

I'm quite sure if you enable playing as goblins in adventurer mode you can definitely still eat. You just don't need to.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: May 23, 2015, 08:15:56 pm »

Obviously goblins' desire to eat and drink will be inversely proportional to how well-fed your mortal citizens are.  Because they're evil little buggers by nature. >:(
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: May 23, 2015, 09:45:53 pm »

Probing with a pickaxe is a totally legitimate surgical technique, how else would we find out what is inside demon skulls?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: May 23, 2015, 10:03:47 pm »

I can see food being to goblins as booze is to dwarves. In so far as they don't really need it, but can become rather violent without it.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: May 24, 2015, 03:20:24 am »

So, what Toady means to say is - the scholars of the world would trepan the miner's idea and say it wouldn't trepan out?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: May 24, 2015, 10:19:11 pm »

I can see food being to goblins as booze is to dwarves. In so far as they don't really need it, but can become rather violent without it.
Except that dorfs need booze. They become physically and mentally unhappy without it. Whereas gobos never need to eat.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: May 24, 2015, 10:55:57 pm »

In that case, I can see booze being to goblins what it is to dwarves as long as dwarves are around. Remember, goblins are cruel!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: May 25, 2015, 03:30:42 pm »

Incidentally, is there any intention to expand the adventure mode medical system?

Because I think it'd be more interesting to need to treat your wounds properly and wait a reasonable time for them to heal fully, rather than sleep being like Wolverine.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Ariachus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: May 25, 2015, 03:57:52 pm »

This is a question for Toady and the design team but I was wondering if it would make sense for observer skill to factor into target priority. I recently mentioned this on a post to the DF reddit because a poster was complaining about a dwarf repeatedly going for a head attack that was being deflected by a goblin wearing an iron helm. Would it be logical for the dwarves to be able to tell how likely an attack might be parried or blocked ie factoring into target as target priority-(chance of deflect or block)*(current observer skill)/(max observer skill). I only mention this because dwarves occasionaly get stuck going for the head of a helmed enemy as opposed to the unarmored leg/hand/whatever else. I just thought this would be a reasonable way to implement a little common sense, which dwarves are not known for admittedly, in the attack priority. Admittedly I'm not familliar enough with the system to try and create a mod for this, and i'm pretty sure this is hard coded, but with my moderate degree of programming knowledge I thought this might be an easy and logical addition.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: May 25, 2015, 04:09:11 pm »

That's more a suggestion.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: May 26, 2015, 04:00:36 am »

Plus it's just part of the programming that unconscious foe = headshot for the AI.

PFunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: May 26, 2015, 09:00:03 pm »

I had a thought with respect to text engraving. Could it be a feature one day that noble mandates could be directed by the nobles or the manager to be engraved on slabs and placed in communal areas as was often done with ancient laws? These could then be removed as they deprecate and placed in the garbage, or preserved in the library, or taken into annals by scholars, found by adventurers visiting ruins, as well as vandalized by dwarves who don't like the 'laws' and thus could be punished for it?
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 306