Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1841171 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2220 on: July 17, 2015, 04:22:22 am »

Do you have any plans for lower order "magical" items in the Artifact arc?

I know you want to avoid the convention of "+20 flaming swords", and that artifacts are meant to be a rarity. Yet, a little (if commonplace) magic does keep things interesting in games like D&D, Skyrim, and Dungeon Crawl.

Masterpieces are currently the next best thing to Artifacts. Still, potions are planned, and Threetoe's stories seem to have a bit of lesser "hedge magic".  I think Dwarf fortress can provide context to "throwaway" items in ways other games can't, and it doesn't have to signpost their effect's either.

Furthermore, judging by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it seems like mundane equipment could be a lot more- unexpected.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:30:19 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: July 17, 2015, 04:34:09 am »

Will you add some method for adventurers or fortress citizens to learn how to read soon? Will fortress mode scribes even need to know how to read? And finally will there be any reason to read books in adventurer mode?

Will I be able to sing songs of my defeated foes mid-battle?
*slaughter this guy*
"I slaughtered this guy!"
*slaughter that guy*
"I slaughtered that guy!"

Is reputation as an artist going to get broadened to include non-performing arts which are already in the game, such as sculpting/statuary?

Limegreen guys! FTFY
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:38:12 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: July 17, 2015, 06:24:12 pm »

Ok stupid question that probably goes against all things dwarven but. Will all drinks be hardcoded to induce drunkenness or would it be possible for modders to create what would essentially amount to non-alcoholic drinks by omitting a syndrome tag?

* Greiger ducks out the door to avoid thrown beer mugs.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: July 17, 2015, 08:32:55 pm »

i don't understand the controversy

anyway there are definitely syndrome effects associated with the drunkenness system so it should probably be the latter

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: July 17, 2015, 09:12:30 pm »

Do you have any plans for lower order "magical" items in the Artifact arc?

I know you want to avoid the convention of "+20 flaming swords", and that artifacts are meant to be a rarity. Yet, a little (if commonplace) magic does keep things interesting in games like D&D, Skyrim, and Dungeon Crawl.

Masterpieces are currently the next best thing to Artifacts. Still, potions are planned, and Threetoe's stories seem to have a bit of lesser "hedge magic".  I think Dwarf fortress can provide context to "throwaway" items in ways other games can't, and it doesn't have to signpost their effect's either.

Furthermore, judging by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it seems like mundane equipment could be a lot more- unexpected.

What do you think?
I thought that was basically what the quality levels are. A masterwork is a +x sword or whatnot.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: July 17, 2015, 11:30:18 pm »

Thing is, they're all plus x of "wicked sharp jesus put that thing down", not anything else.
Reading a thinner book

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: July 18, 2015, 06:34:54 am »

Pretty sure accuracy is also changed, I'll have to test later now but I did see that a masterwork had accuracy values around 105 for normal attacks while artifact (same material/weapon/skill) had like 230 for the same attacks. Forgot to check nq and such.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: July 18, 2015, 02:46:05 pm »

Here's what the wiki says about the quality :
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Quality

note that there's a lot of "unknown"

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: July 19, 2015, 09:34:55 am »

I asked this question for the last big release, but I'm curious again for the next one:

Will there be any changes/additions to Legends mode, and if so, which are they?

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: July 19, 2015, 09:41:46 am »

With so many new types of characters moving around to visit taverns, is there a chance a retired adventure mode bard or monster slayer will show up at your fort? Could they apply for residency?

Will you be able to drink/sleep/dance at a tavern from your retired fort in adventure mode?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: July 19, 2015, 02:17:38 pm »

I could swear I remember seeing a note about trying to make sure retired adventurers would move around and behave properly. Same for taverns in your own forts, which I really look forward to as it suggests it will help fix the "everyone lurks in the bedroom all the time" situation.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: July 20, 2015, 01:57:18 pm »

Many games site your work as inspiration/influence to their game, and many games seek to be fortress likes, do you ever worry about other games outpacing dwarf fortress?   
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: July 20, 2015, 04:32:08 pm »

Out pace how?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2233 on: July 20, 2015, 08:47:58 pm »

Many games site your work as inspiration/influence to their game, and many games seek to be fortress likes, do you ever worry about other games outpacing dwarf fortress?   

I realize your question is for Toady One to answer, but it occurs to me that Dwarf Fortress is not a commercial game. If I were in Toady's shoes, anyone who bases a game off Dwarf Fortress is free advertising. I am curious what he thinks.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

DarkwingUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: July 21, 2015, 03:05:00 am »

Hi Toady!
Since last year's release we have been slowly getting more news of the outside world as we play in fortress mode. For me, it is fun and exciting to hear that a nearby fortress has been under attack, or that someone has stepped down from the nobility and someone else has taken their place.

My question: is it likely that for this release or one of the upcoming releases, you will put in an ability for us to open the world map while in fortress mode? Simply having the ability to see which cities are where would make that news much more accessible and engaging.

Also, with the ability for people to tell stories and sing songs, I imagine that with the upcoming release, we will have visitors coming to our taverns and sharing even more news from the outside world.

As we have with the outpost liaison, would there be a similar notification or interaction system with tavern visitors?
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 306