Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1841733 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #225 on: July 29, 2014, 04:49:33 pm »

Can you make this release's new dialogue more moddable? In the game's data/speech folder, you can change a lot of the stuff people say in adventure mode, but the new dialogue ("It is inevitable", etc) hasn't been added yet.

The purpose of the thread is to discuss current developments.  Specific bugs should be reported on the bug tracker, and specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 29, 2014, 04:51:22 pm »

Profaning temples is the normal way to become a vampire. The only problem is, where do these animal people find temples to profane; aren't they all on the surface in cities? So I guess it is probably a bug; underground populations shouldn't profane temples.
I'm pretty sure the animal people who profane temples come from among those outcasts that occasionally settle in those cities with temples.

Whenever I see an animal person in a human civilization, I can with 90% certain say that it is definitely a vampire. I have yet to incorrectly call out a vampire from a flashing animal-person.

In previous versions they used to stay in the homes flashing. Now they run rampant in the towns killing everyone they meet ( but not you - if they see the player they just run away).

My question was to confirm if there is a bug about the amount of vampire animal men. I'm usually finding 5 or 6 alive in every town I go, and many more dead (I imagine those were recently killed by the population)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 29, 2014, 09:39:08 pm »

Now that the population cap has been fixed, does this mean we will still get migrants when the units list gets exceptionally large? In at least 0.34.11, when the units list totalled over 1,000 units (dead or alive, not just citizens) the number of migrants started to drop significantly.

It seems like the game is getting in order more and more! Hopefully it should now be possible to run a succession game with most things fixed.

While the units list including dead or alive units is probably a bug, it makes sense to me that fortresses with 1000 alive units (!) should get fewer migrants until the FPS threat has passed, for performance reasons. Eventually, when the number of citizens is very large, emigration should happen.

Right, but really if it is because of FPS, it should be an option in the .init files. Plus, it is more of a dead units problem.......
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2014, 02:52:03 am »

Will cobalt be added?
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 30, 2014, 05:53:03 am »

Will cobalt be added?
Looking at the wikipedia entry, it doesn't seem to me that it would fit with the rough historical/technological frame that has been set for DF.
It would probably be fairly trivial to add with a mod, though.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2014, 08:46:13 am »

Will cobalt be added?
Looking at the wikipedia entry, it doesn't seem to me that it would fit with the rough historical/technological frame that has been set for DF.
It would probably be fairly trivial to add with a mod, though.

Yeah.

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:COBALT]
    [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE
    [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:cobalt]
    [STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten cobalt]
    [STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling cobalt]
    [DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1]
    [BUILD_COLOR:0:7:1]
    [MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
    [SPEC_HEAT:421]
    [MELTING_POINT:12691]
    [BOILING_POINT:15269]
    [SOLID_DENSITY:8900]
    [LIQUID_DENSITY:7750]
    [MOLAR_MASS:58933]
    [IMPACT_YIELD:787500]
    [IMPACT_FRACTURE:1575000]
    [IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:437]
    [COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:787500]
    [COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:1575000]
    [COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:437] bulk modulus 180 GPa
    [TENSILE_YIELD:225000]
    [TENSILE_FRACTURE:450000]
    [TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:107] young's modulus 209 GPa
    [TORSION_YIELD:225000]
    [TORSION_FRACTURE:450000]
    [TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:107]
    [SHEAR_YIELD:225000]
    [SHEAR_FRACTURE:450000]
    [SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:300] shear modulus 75 GPa
    [BENDING_YIELD:225000]
    [BENDING_FRACTURE:450000]
    [BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:300]
    [MAX_EDGE:10000]
    [STATE_COLOR:ALL:GRAY]

rustybob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2014, 01:25:48 pm »

will you ever optimize the game, so that, say, i can run a 200 dwarf fort at 100 fps for 20 ingame years?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 30, 2014, 02:09:35 pm »

will you ever optimize the game, so that, say, i can run a 200 dwarf fort at 100 fps for 20 ingame years?

It's not possible to guarantee anything, but optimizations are part of the long-term plan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 30, 2014, 03:45:14 pm »

Not to mention that 0.40.05 had a bunch of optimization anyway.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 30, 2014, 05:18:53 pm »

Anyway, you will die from other cause than FPS with 200 dwarves :p

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing D&D Counts as Partying
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.com/
« Reply #235 on: July 30, 2014, 08:23:15 pm »

To add to that, some computers will be incapable of running DF at reasonable speeds. Workstations, rather than gaming rigs, are perfect for running what is less like a dwarf video game and more like a hybrid dwarf physics simulation. The biggest bottleneck is quite often RAM latency, believe it or not.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:49:33 am by Streeter »
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 31, 2014, 11:36:47 am »

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil" (Donald Knuth)  Remember, DF is in early Alpha, with a multi-decade possible release window.  A very vague estimate is 1.0 in around 20 years; the computer you'll be running it on then might be expected to be as much more powerful than a good Core i7 as the Core i7 is more powerful than an 80486.  And quite possibly with an even more drastic change in architecture. 

At this point in time, it seems moderately likely that future computer developments will be in the direction of "wider", more parallel, architectures.  You can get computers with four CPUs each with 15-cores / 30-threads *today*; that's 60 traditional cores, none of which is individually faster than a desktop core.  Put in one to four Kepler card for an additional 2,880 micro-cores each if you want.  Today, taking serious advantage of that sort of width requires a fair amount of effort; in twenty years, that might be the sort of hardware you have in your phone to run retro games on, and compilers will handle it all automatically. 

It's not out of the question that by the time DF is closing in on 1.0, the logical optimization might be to use one traditional core per dwarf, and one micro-core per chunk of map to handle its fluids and temperatures.  People might end up saying "Well, I only have an old 96-core, so I try to keep my forts under 80 dwarves". 

On the other arm, if we get real quantum computing, programming for that will be a different world.  As I understand it, pathfinding would be one of the things it would be better at than traditional computing; perhaps most of DF will run on the deterministic side, with pathing offloaded to the "QPU" card. 

The point is, there's no way to tell that far out; it's better at this stage to concentrate (as Toady generally has been) on the actual world generation and gameplay; and worry about serious optimization in another decade or so as the game closes in on Beta status, once it becomes more clear what to optimize *for*. 

(Side note: On these time scales, it's not out of the question that some kid playing DF now will grow up to work for Intel and design a CPU *specifically to run DF-like tasks*.  Think big! :)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 31, 2014, 12:44:42 pm »

Thou hast well spoken, Miuramir!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 31, 2014, 01:30:31 pm »

DF has reached far beyond the scope of influencing the many DF clones out there... Shadow of Mordor is being appointed as the game of the year by many, and one of its main features is a procedurally enemy generation system called Nemesis System ... very similar to the "Nemesis Arc" here:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_single.html

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:52:38 pm by thvaz »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #239 on: July 31, 2014, 03:52:34 pm »

Now that the population cap has been fixed, does this mean we will still get migrants when the units list gets exceptionally large? In at least 0.34.11, when the units list totalled over 1,000 units (dead or alive, not just citizens) the number of migrants started to drop significantly.

It seems like the game is getting in order more and more! Hopefully it should now be possible to run a succession game with most things fixed.

While the units list including dead or alive units is probably a bug, it makes sense to me that fortresses with 1000 alive units (!) should get fewer migrants until the FPS threat has passed, for performance reasons. Eventually, when the number of citizens is very large, emigration should happen.
It's most definitely not a bug - there is explicit logic in the migrant code (known to exist in 0.34 and dating back to at least 0.23, if not the very first release) which checks the size of the in-play Units list (including dead invaders and livestock) in order to limit the number of migrants that can arrive; once it reaches 1000, it limits you to 10 (though I'm pretty sure auto-generated pets and family members didn't count), and once it reaches 3000, migrants stop entirely.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 306