Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842351 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2325 on: August 13, 2015, 01:10:58 am »

Will History ever have events that are less solo-fights and wars and more like... A group of people teaming up on a monster? or is the solo meant to reflect that he is the "leader"?

I know that the old "How the HECK did that dwarf kill the Bronze Colossus" thing is odd... but I am always kind of incredulous that basically in this world where Godzilla roams the earth that instead of armies, teams, or groups of people trying to take it down... People just decide to do it solo all the time.

And

How much longer are we going to be stuck with oddly fragile megabeasts? or to rephrase: At what point are you going to work on fixing up relative strengths in world gen?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: August 13, 2015, 03:16:51 am »

Toady, are you getting close enough to hint at what might make the cut in myth generation for the upcoming release?

Also, are there any raw changes that are firm enough that you feel comfortable discussing them yet?  (And hopefully at least part of the myth generator is in the raws...)

The upcoming release is part 1 of the taverns arc, which will be followed by part 2 (Presumably? Toady might be bored of fun and games by now). Then the artifact arc is due to begin. So it's going to be quite a while (years?) before we see the myth generator.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 03:18:59 am by Shonai_Dweller »

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #2327 on: August 13, 2015, 07:59:15 am »

Will History ever have events that are less solo-fights and wars and more like... A group of people teaming up on a monster? or is the solo meant to reflect that he is the "leader"?

The current system doesn't simulate actual battles. It's more like 5000 Elves and 5000 dwarves line up and then, literally, take turns combating single opponenets until the battle ends.

But hopefully at some point we can have the battles be more.. err, battle-esq.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: August 13, 2015, 10:33:42 am »

The current system doesn't simulate actual battles. It's more like 5000 Elves and 5000 dwarves line up and then, literally, take turns combating single opponenets until the battle ends.

But hopefully at some point we can have the battles be more.. err, battle-esq.

That's why you have experienced, heavily armed and armored demigod necromancers being taken out by puppies in world gen.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: August 14, 2015, 05:37:25 am »

I've watched multiple group battles, with solo duels around them, and tangles where groups of enemies would engage other groups, often splitting the smaller group into chunks and everyone tackling the isolated foes before moving to the others, or part of one group going left and engaging part of another squad while the rest of the group goes right after a loner or pair.

It does happen, it's just not described well in legends because it usually ends up being recorded as whoever landed the killing blow or initated the conflict dueling soandso.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: August 14, 2015, 08:15:27 am »

WG battles and in play battles are handled differently. That's why you'll see actual combat in play.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: August 14, 2015, 09:56:28 am »

Didn't Toady once release the worldgen battle simulation separately?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: August 14, 2015, 12:16:14 pm »

Yes, in 0.40.16.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: August 14, 2015, 09:47:09 pm »

Yeah, and I thought that a lot of the stuff in world gen descriptions didn't happen in game.

Then I walked into a town with bodies impaled on stakes and tied to trees with ropes and such.

Sounds morbid to call it a magical experience, but it really was.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: August 15, 2015, 09:16:02 am »

Yeah, and I thought that a lot of the stuff in world gen descriptions didn't happen in game.

Then I walked into a town with bodies impaled on stakes and tied to trees with ropes and such.

What, really? I want to see!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: August 16, 2015, 02:24:06 am »

The top few images of this album: http://imgur.com/a/K7TEy

I was honestly amazed.

Also super excited because I saw Toady noting that reactions will be able to preserve artifact status. Being able to add decorations and whatnot to existing artifacts suddenly becomes an option, among other things.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: August 16, 2015, 07:47:25 am »

The top few images of this album: http://imgur.com/a/K7TEy

I was honestly amazed.

Also super excited because I saw Toady noting that reactions will be able to preserve artifact status. Being able to add decorations and whatnot to existing artifacts suddenly becomes an option, among other things.

If you get killed by a bandit in its camp, and then you go to that camp with a later adventurer, sometimes you can see the body of your previous adventurer (and his/her companions, if any) impaled on a spike.

Pretty cool.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: August 16, 2015, 10:51:02 am »

If you ever hae the game to the point where dwarves can be impaled in fortress mode, will the dwarves both be depressed yet have good thoughts from being impaled on their favorite wood?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: August 16, 2015, 03:43:32 pm »

I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: August 16, 2015, 03:45:17 pm »

If you ever hae the game to the point where dwarves can be impaled in fortress mode, will the dwarves both be depressed yet have good thoughts from being impaled on their favorite wood?

I think they're impaled posthumously, So They can't exactly remark on how wonderful the poplar wood spear being shoved through them is.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 306