Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1839620 times)

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2550 on: September 30, 2015, 05:50:04 am »

You can either randomize your personality and values according to your creature type and culture (just tapping 'r' until you get a paragraph/needs you like), or you can go in and set your values/personality facet by facet manually (in a gigantic slider list).  Your personality in the latter case is still restricted by creature type (so you can't make a very altruistic goblin), but you can set as many values outside of your culture as you want (instead of the standard 3 or so).  It isn't based on a point system, since one personality isn't supposed to be better than another (though there will always be min-maxy settings that you can use to make your character have fewer needs, etc.).

So there is a relatively easy way to view the values of different civilizations outside Fortress mode! Unfortunately not for the values of goblins and kobolds without modding and it's certainly a bit clunky, but it's better than nothing.
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: September 30, 2015, 11:32:53 am »

They still all try to kill you over there as part of their ethics.  We'll have to wait for things to be more nuanced before you can visit.

It is unethical for a goblin to not kill dwarves, elves or humans who crash their poetry readings.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: September 30, 2015, 11:38:15 am »

According to Goblin ethics, a death threat is an invitation to tea, so why is it their fault if everyone misinterprets their poetry-tea party death threat as invitations? Should be pretty obvious, really...
One wheel short of a wagon

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: September 30, 2015, 01:52:18 pm »

Oh dear, being able to change your personality and have it matter, and sliders, why am I excited about sliders?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: September 30, 2015, 02:45:35 pm »

Oh dear, being able to change your personality and have it matter, and sliders, why am I excited about sliders?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Porto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: September 30, 2015, 03:31:09 pm »

Such a great show.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: September 30, 2015, 09:08:18 pm »

Amen to that.

How will visitors petitioning to become citizens interact with population caps? I assume the petitions themselves will work like Liaison visits where we get a new screen with the relevant information and a choice about the petitioner. Will we still get those petitions even if we've already hit our cap?

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: October 01, 2015, 12:24:58 am »

Such a great show.

Who names there kid show sliders?
Hello I'm insane!

forfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: October 01, 2015, 03:29:01 am »

here's one: will adventurers ever be able to make more crafts? I for one would love to roleplay as a blacksmith working to craft the best masterpiece gear possible, using adventurer loot to fund these endeavors. Or be able to cook my kills. Or any number of things like that really.

edit: Lord Baal: sorry, I'm new to the forum XD
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:50:36 am by forfor »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: October 01, 2015, 07:09:39 am »

It's planned, no date yet. Also green your questions my friend.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: October 01, 2015, 08:47:07 am »

Will people petitioning the fortress be a mechanic designed for that single purpose, or will it be part of a framework allowing for different kinds of petitions?
ie. For the imprisonment of the valued upper class, the banishment of a troublemaker, making a certain deity the official fortress religion, a declaration of war, etc.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: October 01, 2015, 08:55:27 am »

Will people petitioning the fortress be a mechanic designed for that single purpose, or will it be part of a framework allowing for different kinds of petitions?
ie. For the imprisonment of the valued upper class, the banishment of a troublemaker, making a certain deity the official fortress religion, a declaration of war, etc.
I want a pony!

A system like the old fashioned SimCity "biggest problems facing the city survey" would be useful.  The problem is the screen will be clogged with the elves asking you to spare the trees, dwarves petitioning for the expulsion of their grudges, and indecipherable graffiti from kobolds.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: October 01, 2015, 09:26:46 am »

Well, not if you do it like Caravans where it only happens once a year, or a season. Add to the Mayor [Receives_Petitions] token and then once a season have a listing of things the citizens want to see happen, with appropriate choices.

Tilogour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: October 01, 2015, 11:16:38 am »

Are you going to add possibility to tame wild animals in adventure mode?
As I remember historial figures can do that.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 11:21:54 am by Tilogour »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: October 01, 2015, 03:21:54 pm »

Thanks, Toady!

Are you going to add possibility to tame wild animals in adventure mode?
As I remember historial figures can do that.

Eventually, something like that should be able to happen. It's mostly a question on how the historical figures do it, and how the new knowledge system. I can't find the relevant quotes right now, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 306