Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1840417 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2655 on: October 18, 2015, 10:49:41 am »

will we be able to mod what dwarves can write onto paper?
I have a need to make my dwarves produce TPS reports.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: October 18, 2015, 01:16:06 pm »

That'd be great.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: October 20, 2015, 09:26:37 am »

Would you ever consider livestreaming DF development (e.g. on Twitch)?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: October 20, 2015, 09:38:21 am »

Would you ever consider livestreaming DF development (e.g. on Twitch)?
More regular communications would be great (weekly podcast-ish thing rather than big DF Talks), but watching someone debugging code is not my idea of fun.  And being watched while debugging code sounds like even less fun.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: October 20, 2015, 09:55:53 am »

Will the exact mechanics of training levels ever be explicitly explained? I have observed that a creature's pet value is is inversely proportional to how many of them need to be trained in order to advance through the training levels. I have also observed that maintenance training, war or hunting training and training already trained infants into fully tame animals all contribute less to training levels than training a fully wild animal does; this has caused me to hypothesize that the contribution of any given training session to the training levels is directly proportional to the increase in an animal's training level caused by that session. I have also heard from another guy who trains a lot of animals that training levels do have an effect on in-fort training:
Taming already trained infants contributes very little to the training level of a species. Perhaps if training levels did anything this wouldn't be so trivial.
Training levels help your animal trainers train creatures to higher levels. Even a legendary animal trainer can only get an animal to about superior if your civ hasn't encountered that animal before.
My observations seem to agree with this; nevertheless, this is one black box I personally wish Toady would let us all look inside.

Furthermore, will having one fortress's training levels spread to the entire civilization as well as being able to fully domesticate a species in fortress mode ever be implemented?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: October 20, 2015, 03:04:43 pm »

Furthermore, will having one fortress's training levels spread to the entire civilization as well as being able to fully domesticate a species in fortress mode ever be implemented?
Fortress training should spread slowly as your civs' caravans leave you already, you just can't reach domesticated level yet because there were some technical complications regarding domesticated breeds and some other things.

Quote from: Nikita
With all this talk of knowledge-sharing, are there any plans to make civilization-wide domestication of animal species possible? So you can e.g. domesticate a Roc or a Dragon in one fortress, and have it available at embark the next time?
It was the eventual idea to get to that final step, yeah.  There are various associated difficulties with that, code-wise, so it wasn't an immediate thing.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: October 21, 2015, 02:07:26 am »

More regular communications would be great (weekly podcast-ish thing rather than big DF Talks), but watching someone debugging code is not my idea of fun.  And being watched while debugging code sounds like even less fun.

Twitter already exists for this kind of communication. And if you read it, you would have seen that he writes much more in it than he used to.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: October 21, 2015, 07:10:19 am »

I think if Toady communicates any more than he already does, he won't have enough time to actually update the game. Occasional forum discipline, Dftalk once per major update, interviews a few times a year, monthly Future of Fortress report, monthly financial report and post on Patreon, weekly development update, daily (almost) Twitter including replies to questions. I gather he answers email too on occasion. How much more communication do you need?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: October 21, 2015, 08:14:44 am »

I will plead ignorance to the Twitter feed; it's just not a place I frequent.  I was thinking more of a 15-30 minute podcast each week as opposed to daily tweets, but the tweets would get the job done and that's already happening.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: October 21, 2015, 08:44:05 am »

I think if Toady communicates any more than he already does, he won't have enough time to actually update the game. Occasional forum discipline, Dftalk once per major update, interviews a few times a year, monthly Future of Fortress report, monthly financial report and post on Patreon, weekly development update, daily (almost) Twitter including replies to questions. I gather he answers email too on occasion. How much more communication do you need?

That is my thought on the matter too. 

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: October 21, 2015, 09:50:57 am »

Could work, but the current way he gives feedback is alight too. What would be more interesting is if the code itself was visible in-between updates.

Not accessible for editing by anyone of course, but simply so curious source divers can get a better look at how upcoming features will work.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: October 21, 2015, 04:39:11 pm »

Could work, but the current way he gives feedback is alight too. What would be more interesting is if the code itself was visible in-between updates.

Not accessible for editing by anyone of course, but simply so curious source divers can get a better look at how upcoming features will work.
Is that something other closed source games developers do?

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: October 21, 2015, 04:48:08 pm »

Is that something other closed source games developers do?
No. It is kinda entire point of "closed" in "closed source".
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: October 22, 2015, 11:49:41 am »

True. ._.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: October 22, 2015, 01:19:52 pm »

So are you going to keep talking about he not communicating enough or are we gonna get around the fact he already comunicated by updating the log again and gave us among some clean ups this little jewel:

Quote from: Toady
"I also added a numbered tag to reactions so that they won't use up entire bone stacks making multiple products if you don't want them to (the dwarves were making giant piles of bone plectrums out of a single yak skeleton all at once). I don't remember if this was already possible in some way, but there's a new tag anyway."
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 306