Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834285 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2685 on: October 25, 2015, 12:26:17 am »

64 bit will allow larger worlds and larger embarks. However, because DF is memory bound, I expect the 64 bit version will run slower in most cases, because pointers use more memory. I'm sure Toady will keep the 32 bit version working though.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: October 25, 2015, 12:32:09 am »

There might also be some small speedup from using a more modern compiler.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: October 25, 2015, 08:30:53 am »

Basically it is future proofing. Sure it will eat more memory and having more stuff could make the game slower. But memory speed is constantly improving as well as it's quantities. A 64bit version would be useless for someone with 2, 4 or even I dare to say someone with 8 gb of ram. But what of having 16, 64, 128? Its becoming increasingly common to have more and more memory.

Now what we need are quantum processors to really speed up the game :p
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: October 25, 2015, 02:31:14 pm »

it would not be useless to someone with 8 GB of RAM; the game crashes pretty regularly when you get too big

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: October 26, 2015, 04:46:22 am »

so how big could embarks get? The players on supercomputers could actually do something to scale now?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: October 26, 2015, 04:50:59 am »

Are there any changes to the tileset in the new version, or can we just plug in our favourite (basic tileset) from day one?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: October 26, 2015, 08:08:05 am »

Will it be restricted exclusively to books?
Soon enough we'll have dwarf children stuffing smaller dwarf children into lockers.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: October 26, 2015, 08:15:59 am »

Will it be restricted exclusively to books?
Soon enough we'll have dwarf children stuffing smaller dwarf children into lockers.
I think you mean "coffers".
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: October 26, 2015, 03:46:02 pm »

In the hope that I can do a bit of early prep work for PyLNP:

Have you decided how you will distribute the 64-bit builds (once they're ready)? Will it be a single ZIP per OS, containing both 32 and 64-bit executables, or one ZIP for OS/bitness combination?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: October 27, 2015, 05:36:37 am »

I haven't seen any updates about gambling and dwarf games in taverns, and they're still listed as "future goals" on the dev outline page. Are they still going in this release?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:52:30 am by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: October 27, 2015, 07:22:44 am »

In the hope that I can do a bit of early prep work for PyLNP:

Have you decided how you will distribute the 64-bit builds (once they're ready)? Will it be a single ZIP per OS, containing both 32 and 64-bit executables, or one ZIP for OS/bitness combination?

I'm guessing it would be two separate zips. That would help ease confusion among most players, and it's pretty much the "standard" on how software is handed out when it has a 32 and 64 bits versions.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: October 27, 2015, 07:57:52 am »

I haven't seen any updates about gambling and dwarf in taverns, and they're still listed as "future goals" on the dev outline page. Are they still going in this release?
The original plan was for the taverns release to be split into two parts, with gambling and tavern games in the second release. Toady hasn't said that this isn't the case any more, but he has made some vague comments about gambling needing the economy and, maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a kind of excited can't-wait-to-dig-deep-into-this vibe around the myth generator so we'll have to wait and see whether part two follows part one or if it all gets mixed up. Either way, they don't seem to be part of the upcoming release.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: October 27, 2015, 08:13:39 am »

I haven't seen any updates about gambling and dwarf in taverns, and they're still listed as "future goals" on the dev outline page. Are they still going in this release?
The original plan was for the taverns release to be split into two parts, with gambling and tavern games in the second release. Toady hasn't said that this isn't the case any more, but he has made some vague comments about gambling needing the economy and, maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a kind of excited can't-wait-to-dig-deep-into-this vibe around the myth generator so we'll have to wait and see whether part two follows part one or if it all gets mixed up. Either way, they don't seem to be part of the upcoming release.
Maybe it would work better is we phrased it as "There is a myth that gambling will be in the next release..." ;)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: October 27, 2015, 01:48:44 pm »

I haven't seen any updates about gambling and dwarf games in taverns, and they're still listed as "future goals" on the dev outline page. Are they still going in this release?

they never were AFAIK, they were always the release after this

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: October 27, 2015, 02:39:24 pm »

so how big could embarks get? The players on supercomputers could actually do something to scale now?
Nope, supercomputers rely on many processors working in parallel. Since DF is one-threaded, it wouldn't preform better than on your home computer.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 306