Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842179 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2730 on: October 31, 2015, 03:08:50 pm »

Fantastic, thanks! :D
One wheel short of a wagon

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: October 31, 2015, 03:23:19 pm »

Quote from: Pidgeot
Have you decided how you will distribute the 64-bit builds (once they're ready)? Will it be a single ZIP per OS, containing both 32 and 64-bit executables, or one ZIP for OS/bitness combination?

I'll probably have a bunch of separate zips, but the list is getting long the way it is formatted now.  But that's the way I'm leaning.  We'll also enter a sort of annoying save compat territory -- even if I manage compat between the bitnesses, 64-bit saves will often be too large for 32 bit DF to load.  I imagine there could be "false" bug reports over this, but I'm not sure how to handle it without spending a zillion years coding calculations estimating memory sizes before load or something.
It seems to me that as long as saves are compatible, they shouldn't take much more memory to load (if anything, 32-bit saves might take less memory, since structures with pointers like STL strings would take up less space in memory). Granted, saves that take over 2/3/4 GB of memory probably won't be loadable by 32-bit DF, but there aren't too many of those around currently.

Regarding that, what sorts of issues are you running into with 32/64-bit compatibility? The main issue being mentioned is the difference in sizes of integer types (namely "long"), which I suppose you could resolve with fixed-width types (stdint.h), although it would be a pain to rewrite an entire project (or even just the (un)serialization code) to use those.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: October 31, 2015, 06:31:47 pm »

Thanks for the answers, Toady! :)

I'm of two minds regarding the potential to jump straight to the artifact releases. On the one hand, it's sad that games and recipes would have to wait longer (hopefully not that much longer though) - on the other hand, MYTH GENERATOR! I've been looking forward to that so long!
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: October 31, 2015, 07:08:22 pm »

As of now, a dwarf can go their whole life without eating their favorite food or seeing their favorite material. Are there plans to make dwarves' likes and dislikes change based on their environment?

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: October 31, 2015, 09:32:38 pm »

Thanks for all the answers, Toady! I'm so excited for the release.

As of now, a dwarf can go their whole life without eating their favorite food or seeing their favorite material. Are there plans to make dwarves' likes and dislikes change based on their environment?

There's a whole Fortress Talk about the development of the game's cultures, including making people's favorites more in line with their environment. Obviously no timeline exists.

http://www.bay12games.com/media/df_talk_5_transcript.html

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: October 31, 2015, 09:50:08 pm »

Bones being able to be specified will be amazing for adventurer mode crafting, for the record. Right now I just dummy in a "cleaned bone" item and have a reaction use one item from the corpse, x cleaned bones, x hides if appropriate, dagger, and needle. I did have them using different tools from the dagger but it seemed dumb to not give the little copper thing a use.

Hmmm, regarding army movement/army controllers/refugee behavior. I seem to recall those groups lacking an army_controller when Putnam and I were poking around trying to force sieges/teleport on the travel map. The former worked occasionally, the latter works fine. Is adding a default controller that leads a unit to a relative or nearby site or even just keeps them from sleeping eternally possible? I've followed refugees immediately after sacking a site and walked across the entire map with them, they just kinda stayed pointed at a given location until they hit an arbitrary location, bounced around a bit, and then when I let them travel freely again and caught up they just walked back to the campsites outside the sacked site and dozed off eternally.

The kids thing is kinda sad but gives me a new goal: will children remain unwilling to trade in any way, even little things like giving them toys or food later when they have to eat in adventurer mode? If I make some toys and "accidentally" leave them lying around, will they play with them?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: October 31, 2015, 10:29:07 pm »

I thought you could use the personal barter screen to trade with anyone, even kids?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: October 31, 2015, 11:46:14 pm »

"You should find an adult." As I recall.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: November 01, 2015, 03:09:39 am »

That's the actual trade screen, I thought. Lemme double-check, but... >.<

EDIT: Well shit. Seems they reject personal trading too. Son, I am disappoint.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 03:21:07 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: November 01, 2015, 06:21:06 am »

That's the actual trade screen, I thought. Lemme double-check, but... >.<

EDIT: Well shit. Seems they reject personal trading too. Son, I am disappoint.
Children in DF know better than to accept gifts from strangers.  I find it hard to consider this a bad thing.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: November 01, 2015, 11:19:38 am »

Ohh Toady if you ever have to think of how to handle children in terms of psychology.

A good way to understand children is that they are adults without the ability to understand or cope with things in general.

As someone once said: "Children are like adults without their lids on"

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: November 01, 2015, 04:19:21 pm »

Ohh Toady if you ever have to think of how to handle children in terms of psychology.

A good way to understand children is that they are adults without the ability to understand or cope with things in general.

As someone once said: "Children are like adults without their lids on"

So basically your average dorf as-is. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: November 01, 2015, 04:28:48 pm »

I assume that the current growth rates of trees will be adjusted, because they grow ridiculously fast right now, but will trees grow at realistic speeds or at accelerated speeds? If the latter is the case, probably because of gameplay reasons, how much faster will they grow?
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: November 01, 2015, 08:47:21 pm »

Thanks for the answers.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: November 01, 2015, 09:51:16 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
I finished handling the last personality needs in dwarf mode -- dwarves can swipe and own and wear trinkets again somewhat like they did before, for instance, with the avaricious and extravagant dwarves doing it more than others.

Does this mean that we'll once again have dungeon masters who wear sixteen crowns and twenty capes and not a stitch else?
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 306