Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834199 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3090 on: December 25, 2015, 03:22:18 pm »

Oh this is gonna be a clusterfuck to update my mod. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: December 25, 2015, 05:10:32 pm »

Oh good god giant elephants are going to be fun. I predict the Elves use them as war-mounts.

Elephants are so large its impractical enough to keep them grazing reliably without throwing them into a cage periodically, certainly looking forward to future capabilities of speedy hunting companion giant elephants for all purposes.

Would giant elephants be large enough to qualify to be multi tile? (vertically above one layer but structurally the same) and would any of the multi-tile animals/creatures/mega-beasts/other relate to what your dwarves at ground level can reach? (unable to sever very much other than the legs of a bronze colossus for instance, without crippling it or gaining elevation?) or would it work normally?

What next, giant elephant werebeast night creatures?

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: December 25, 2015, 06:37:01 pm »

now we've got giant and person versions for most of the original animals. The newer animals from the sponsorship drive came with those forms, but we never did have giant elephants and various large bears and all the great cat people and so forth.

Uh, oh. I hope Toady did something to appearing frequency of humanoid animals - there were A LOT of complaints that whatever-mens clog up map entirely leaving no space for normal wildlife.

Would giant elephants be large enough to qualify to be multi tile?

Multitile creatures will not happen any time soon. Those giant elephants will be one-tile - like already existing gigantic monsters like bronze collosuses, dragons, forgotten beasts etc.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: December 25, 2015, 06:49:01 pm »

Well.

In case it has not yet sunk in: DOOOOOOOOOOOM.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: December 25, 2015, 07:19:08 pm »

Well.

In case it has not yet sunk in: DOOOOOOOOOOOM.

All the more reason to train your huntsdwarves in the art of the chainsaw. Rip and teeeaaar.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: December 25, 2015, 07:49:54 pm »

Would giant elephants be large enough to qualify to be multi tile?

Multitile creatures will not happen any time soon. Those giant elephants will be one-tile - like already existing gigantic monsters like bronze collosuses, dragons, forgotten beasts etc.

I probably should have rephrased that to question whether all creatures based on large size will have a rehaul and rebranding as 'multi-tile' once they exceed a certain size. If we are doing math on the exact size of layers in comparison to existing animals that is.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: December 26, 2015, 08:37:25 am »

I probably should have rephrased that to question whether all creatures based on large size will have a rehaul and rebranding as 'multi-tile' once they exceed a certain size. If we are doing math on the exact size of layers in comparison to existing animals that is.
If/when Toady introduces multi-tile creatures, I guess they will be reworked by hand. I already can imagine it will be horrible pain in ass, and probably enemies digging/destroying tiles would have to be introduced earlier, unless you want big monsters stucked harmlessly on smallest obstacle.

I mean, you probably could introduce some automation (if size is between x1 and x2, tile size 2x2x2, if...then tile size 3x3x3, if size is that and it is FLAT monster, then 2x2x1 etc), but many creatures would have distinct shape (giant snakes, anyone? 1x3x1) and behaviour (again, giant snakes will move and change direction differently than standard gigantic monster) that you would have to describe in raws. And don't get me started on neccessity of describing what body parts are on what tile...

I think multi-tile monsters (and any interactions of them with everything else in game - in world generation, fortress and adventure mode) alone will be one major release, so about 1 year. This is how much hassle they will be.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Silverybearded

• Bay Watcher
  • Midor Belnekol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: December 26, 2015, 01:50:34 pm »

Great. Now all I can think of is a trail of "S"s which gain one S every time it eats a dwarf.
Engraved is a superior rendition of an image of Arkoth, the local deity of balance and speech, and two elves. Arkoth is burning the two elves. Arkoth is laughing. The two elves are suffering. The image was commissioned by the Round Guild, a local dwarven government.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: December 26, 2015, 02:23:36 pm »

Great. Now all I can think of is a trail of "S"s which gain one S every time it eats a dwarf.

[NO_BRAKES][DIES_ON_COLLIDE]
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: December 26, 2015, 03:59:55 pm »

How are Kobold names generated? I got some very interesting ones in my last world, and I'd like to know how the game comes up with these shenanigans.

Some quick legends-trawling:

"Drinkis", Female Kobold. {Like Sankis, but even drunker and a kobold?}

"Stinkus", Male Kobold. {Really, game?}

"Beeris", Female Kobold.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: December 26, 2015, 06:40:17 pm »

[NO_BRAKES][DIES_ON_COLLIDE]

My apple storage has been decimated. I have nothing left to brew with since that giant kingsnake slithered in, my dwarves are cutting off the sections but it just keeps getting longer.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: December 27, 2015, 12:51:24 am »

Okay, I see a problem...

Toady, did you delete creature_savage_tropical on purpose? >_>
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3102 on: December 27, 2015, 01:07:57 am »

(it only had the big cats and a scorpion -- big cats are in their proper files now, and I mentioned the scorpion in the change log, it'll be back)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: December 27, 2015, 01:42:38 am »

(it only had the big cats and a scorpion -- big cats are in their proper files now, and I mentioned the scorpion in the change log, it'll be back)

As I discovered afterward. I done derped, sorry about that.

In that case, minor question. Any plans regarding whether that delicious brain-rotting venom will stay as the way it is?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: December 27, 2015, 11:50:20 am »

Nooo ! The giant desert scorpion !
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 306