Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1839395 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3360 on: January 27, 2016, 07:27:03 pm »

Oh, and you know what else we should be able to do? Embark on tundra/cold mountains/glaciers, obtain the seeds of tropical fruits and grow them in an underground greenhouse, then turn them into booze and serve them at a tavern with a Spanish name decorated with imagery of tropical fruits, plants, animals and other things.

I hope Toady is reading all this and taking notes.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: January 28, 2016, 06:05:20 am »

Could we get to actually make flags and tapestry(or whatever those things that hangs from the wall are called) with our fortress simbols now?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: January 28, 2016, 06:16:49 am »

Could we get to actually make flags and tapestry(or whatever those things that hangs from the wall are called) with our fortress simbols now?

Questions in green, please.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: January 28, 2016, 06:56:48 am »

Yes yes I know. I wasn't really asking toady. It was more of an open, rhetorical question.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: January 28, 2016, 09:26:38 am »

A theoretical answer to the banner question would be that when/if decorations like show cases, banners, tapestries, red carpets, braziers, etc. are added you should be able to specify what they look like when you make them. Now, changing the "graphics" to depict the things that just adorn the surface of walls/floors would be a different issue, but I guess you could use the engravings "graphics" as a starting point.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: January 28, 2016, 09:58:00 am »

I have mixed feelings about the ability to control the art. Being surprised by the goofy stuff that dwarves come up with has always been a source of entertainment. I guess you can still leave it up to them. I hope so.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: January 28, 2016, 10:18:42 am »

Well Toady wrote you can still leave them to their own devices after you pick up a broad theme. I do hope theres still an option to let them choose even the theme.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: January 28, 2016, 12:46:20 pm »

Maybe it should be done by a special noble.

I think that with calmer dwarves, more useless and demanding sods nobles would be a nice return to older traditions.
One wheel short of a wagon

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: January 28, 2016, 07:35:07 pm »

Will it ever be possible to define custom item specific improvements?

I mean, this seems like it would be a really useful tool for modders.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: January 28, 2016, 09:14:56 pm »

Thank you Toady.  Soon I will be able to decorate my volcanoes with statues of the god of volcanoes.   ....And burning goblins.  And the odd accidental burning dwarf.... instead of just a million renditions of the same bonecarver raising one of their millions of ☼Donkey bone bolts[5]☼
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: January 28, 2016, 09:33:56 pm »

A theoretical answer to the banner question would be that when/if decorations like show cases, banners, tapestries, red carpets.
red carpets
carpets

Given that I can already envision a production chain (specifically plant thread, which can be intercepted and dyed before arriving, goes to a craftshop where a clothier/sub-crafter type assembles it) carpets as a idea and a use in raising value seems like a logical point of decoration not explored upon within the game.

Does the future hold any *planned* developments where we can make our own non-carved natural wall embellishments such as the subject matter of carpets i mentioned above? ETC - Signage , IE - wooden and metal iconographic signs with different individual decoration rules *via workshop decoration modification*) but essentially work like tag on engravings, or carpets layered over floors detailing events as dictated or nothing at all.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #3371 on: January 29, 2016, 02:25:28 am »

A theoretical answer to the banner question would be that when/if decorations like show cases, banners, tapestries, red carpets.
red carpets
carpets

Given that I can already envision a production chain (specifically plant thread, which can be intercepted and dyed before arriving, goes to a craftshop where a clothier/sub-crafter type assembles it) carpets as a idea and a use in raising value seems like a logical point of decoration not explored upon within the game.

Does the future hold any *planned* developments where we can make our own non-carved natural wall embellishments such as the subject matter of carpets i mentioned above? ETC - Signage , IE - wooden and metal iconographic signs with different individual decoration rules *via workshop decoration modification*) but essentially work like tag on engravings, or carpets layered over floors detailing events as dictated or nothing at all.

DF Talk #8 around the 1hr and 25min mark:

Toady: [] ... so I'd like to have ... the humans civilizations for example, it would be lame if they all had the same architecture, once I refresh my memory on what are the bits and pieces that make up the different architectures, what kind of different buildings there are and all that kind of stuff, they should make choices, then, and be able to have the towns have different characters to them when they make their walls or just their houses and various castles and little parapet things, and little spikes that stick out of the top with little flags on them, and minarets and all that kind of thing or whatever. As much diversity as you've got in the real world, as much as we can convey with a tile based format, that stuff should come across, it's one of those things where you have to engage in the project at some point and actually do it, and it's hard to time things which are superfluous in a sense, but they should be done. At first things will look vanilla, just as we get people to have walls properly and moats and tapestries and rugs and things, just making the towns look better, but as we get enough information to allow them to diversify then they should be able to do that, hopefully.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: January 29, 2016, 05:45:41 am »

Will there ever be a point in the future where NPCs might seek revenge on their own?

Basically when can I reenact the classic trope of murdering someone's loved ones in front of them, extolling the virtues of power and martial prowess to them, and then having them hunt me down years later once they're ready to take me on?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:49:14 am by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3373 on: January 29, 2016, 01:08:54 pm »

A question regarding squads...
Will we see backup weapons as an option? For example, you could have a squad of marksdwarves that uses crossbows as normal when at a certain range away from the opponent, but uses daggers or short swords if an opponent gets too close or if they run out of ammo.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: January 29, 2016, 01:32:24 pm »

red carpets
carpets

DF Talk #8 around the 1hr and 25min mark:

Toady: [] ... so I'd like to have ... the humans civilizations for example, it would be lame if they all had the same architecture, once I refresh my memory on what are the bits and pieces that make up the different architectures, what kind of different buildings there are and all that kind of stuff, they should make choices, then, and be able to have the towns have different characters to them when they make their walls or just their houses and various castles and little parapet things, and little spikes that stick out of the top with little flags on them, and minarets and all that kind of thing or whatever. As much diversity as you've got in the real world, as much as we can convey with a tile based format, that stuff should come across, it's one of those things where you have to engage in the project at some point and actually do it, and it's hard to time things which are superfluous in a sense, but they should be done. At first things will look vanilla, just as we get people to have walls properly and moats and tapestries and rugs and things, just making the towns look better, but as we get enough information to allow them to diversify then they should be able to do that, hopefully.

Ah excellent, thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 306