Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1841388 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3435 on: February 14, 2016, 11:04:21 am »

Will sand and clay tiles remain as infinite sources of the respective materials or will they become finite at some point in the distant future?
Toady has mentioned a few times that he would like sand to work more like a liquid, and he mentioned back when the clay industry was added that they considered making clay finite.

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: NSQuote
Where would you obtain clay from?
Quote from: Areyar
It would be nice to see a mechanism where there is at least a small chance of a tile being mined out if clay mining will use the current sand collection interface. (Same for sand  actually, but less so.)
Right now it works like sand, and we were considering making it eat up the tiles after a number of uses, but it doesn't currently do that.

As such, it seems reasonable that sand and clay won't stay as infinite as they are right now.
*sweats profusely*
But...but.....my infinite supply of trade goods made from expensive materials!

Currently, you can only trade with the dwarven caravan of your own civilization and the nearest human and elf civilizations. Will this ever change? Will travelers ever come from much further away to trade at the fort?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: February 14, 2016, 05:06:55 pm »

Probably not. Whats suggested from the trade network stuff, is that trade will tend to flow to hubs, and there will be trade between these hubs but any one trader isnt traveling very far.

However, items created at any point that connected can travel to any point. So while the Traders will never be that far away, their goods can be.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: February 14, 2016, 05:19:26 pm »

Given that the basic room system is half implemented already, with the development planned targets surrounding nobility entering and staying at the fort in rented rooms will there be any particular advantages to keeping nobles in pocket either long-term or permanently? Economy and diplomatic based bonuses perhaps?

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: February 15, 2016, 02:44:21 pm »

Are fistfights supposed to be counted as crimes? Right now they're not, even if somedwarf dies in a brawl.
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: February 16, 2016, 12:13:22 pm »

Are fistfights supposed to be counted as crimes? Right now they're not, even if somedwarf dies in a brawl.

For what it's worth - the issue has been on the bug tracker for a while now
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3440 on: February 16, 2016, 02:54:16 pm »

If I recall, images on amulets and other items are an improvement or decoration, hence why they don't yet work in adventure mode.

In contrast, figurines have image properties on their own, hence working differently.

Thanks!
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: February 17, 2016, 12:36:32 am »

The Yeti and Samsquanch(sic); In relation to the new changes with Taverns and various Animal men having the option to try civilized life now. Where do they fit in? I ask because I notice they are not tamable, but I don't think they are like the <noun>men, If I make my Tavern/Library/Temple bitchen enough will there be a chance the local population may decide to stop kicking in the door and stop in for a pint?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: February 17, 2016, 12:45:56 am »

The Yeti and Samsquanch(sic); In relation to the new changes with Taverns and various Animal men having the option to try civilized life now. Where do they fit in? I ask because I notice they are not tamable, but I don't think they are like the <noun>men, If I make my Tavern/Library/Temple bitchen enough will there be a chance the local population may decide to stop kicking in the door and stop in for a pint?

They aren't intelligent, so barring any future changes, they won't be wanting to stop by a place where everybody will presumably know their name.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: February 17, 2016, 03:29:43 am »

They aren't intelligent, so barring any future changes, they won't be wanting to stop by a place where everybody will presumably know their name.
Alright, sounds fair enough thank you. I think for my own purposes on this map then I am going to add trainable tags because the thought of and army of War Yeti is to funny to pass up.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: February 17, 2016, 01:15:39 pm »

You mentioned adding helves/using them to make stone axes/possibly using those to enable tree cutting and such, but the issue with not being able to give those changes permanence being in place. Are you saying that you're considering basically adding some of the dfhack advfort script* (which allows some fort functionality) to adventure mode officially, and are you aware that we will be happy and love it even if site permanence isn't preserved everywhere?

*Not sure if you've played with it, it puts up a gui line at the top left with the selected job/task, then careful movement in a direction activates said job, you can scroll through and change the jobs, and it will let you pull items from the ground/your hands/backpack I think to use yourself or at an appropriate workshop. Being able to perform construction/deconstruction/mining/tree cutting would be amazing for cases like libraries that spawn with the entrance underground, even if the changes reverted when you left the zone, simply being able to get inside while you're there would be a huge improvement.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3445 on: February 17, 2016, 03:04:02 pm »

You mentioned adding helves/using them to make stone axes/possibly using those to enable tree cutting and such, but the issue with not being able to give those changes permanence being in place. Are you saying that you're considering basically adding some of the dfhack advfort script* (which allows some fort functionality) to adventure mode officially, and are you aware that we will be happy and love it even if site permanence isn't preserved everywhere?

*Not sure if you've played with it, it puts up a gui line at the top left with the selected job/task, then careful movement in a direction activates said job, you can scroll through and change the jobs, and it will let you pull items from the ground/your hands/backpack I think to use yourself or at an appropriate workshop. Being able to perform construction/deconstruction/mining/tree cutting would be amazing for cases like libraries that spawn with the entrance underground, even if the changes reverted when you left the zone, simply being able to get inside while you're there would be a huge improvement.

He has had player-site building planned for a long while, i'm sure he will figure something out. I for one am excited, I am sure he will do some clever restrictions (like having you "claim land" then only allowing you to change things there or something like that.) Or maybe just saving the areas you edit right away.

He has talked about "micro-sites" so maybe thats how he will do it.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: February 17, 2016, 09:29:40 pm »

How does the game determine what material is used for outsider weapons? My testing so far has shown that if you mod copper to be unsuitable for use in weapons, it'll pick silver instead. What makes it choose though materials, over, say, iron?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: February 17, 2016, 11:12:24 pm »

He has had player-site building planned for a long while, i'm sure he will figure something out. I for one am excited, I am sure he will do some clever restrictions (like having you "claim land" then only allowing you to change things there or something like that.) Or maybe just saving the areas you edit right away.

He has talked about "micro-sites" so maybe thats how he will do it.
Well, the micro-sites would be needed for the roadside taverns, and awesome if that ends up working itself out soon. Either way, even if the same restrictions advfort has are present (only a few types of sites keep changes, lairs, player forts, I think towers maybe?) I really doubt anybody would mind at all, just having those sorts of jobs available in vanilla would be amazing.

Course now I'm wondering what the interface would be, amusingly the first idea that came to mind besides the advfort overlay would be to let you attack the tree/ground/building with the appropriate tools/skills.

How does the game determine what material is used for outsider weapons? My testing so far has shown that if you mod copper to be unsuitable for use in weapons, it'll pick silver instead. What makes it choose though materials, over, say, iron?
Oh god, yeah, I'm pretty curious about the outsider "entity" too, how much of that could be moved to the raws I wonder, if just so I could have a bearded outsider dorf.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: February 17, 2016, 11:19:48 pm »

All I know is that you always start with a weapon that uses the spear skill, and another weapon that uses the dagger skill. Even if the weapons aren't allowed for any entities; for example, 'legendary' weapons modded in as a possible outcome of a mood.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: February 18, 2016, 01:11:06 am »

All I know is that you always start with a weapon that uses the spear skill, and another weapon that uses the dagger skill. Even if the weapons aren't allowed for any entities; for example, 'legendary' weapons modded in as a possible outcome of a mood.

Yeah. The weapon types I've pinned down concretely. It's always an item of type "WEAPON" that uses the specified skills, and excludes training weapons. You never spawn with civilian knives instead, because those are tools instead of weapons. And you never spawn with training spears because those have the training token thingy.

However, if you mod in addition weapons that fit the criteria, last I checked they'll be selected at random.

So it's MATERIAL that has me stumped. So far I've pinned down the idea that IS_METAL and MAYBE ITEMS_WEAPON are required tokens for a material to be used by outsiders, but I don't know what makes it favor copper unless forced to do otherwise.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 306