Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842134 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3450 on: February 18, 2016, 03:35:01 am »

All I know is that you always start with a weapon that uses the spear skill, and another weapon that uses the dagger skill. Even if the weapons aren't allowed for any entities; for example, 'legendary' weapons modded in as a possible outcome of a mood.

Yeah. The weapon types I've pinned down concretely. It's always an item of type "WEAPON" that uses the specified skills, and excludes training weapons. You never spawn with civilian knives instead, because those are tools instead of weapons. And you never spawn with training spears because those have the training token thingy.

However, if you mod in addition weapons that fit the criteria, last I checked they'll be selected at random.

So it's MATERIAL that has me stumped. So far I've pinned down the idea that IS_METAL and MAYBE ITEMS_WEAPON are required tokens for a material to be used by outsiders, but I don't know what makes it favor copper unless forced to do otherwise.
Just a Correlation but from what I under stand, you normally start with copper Picks in Fortress mode because they are cheapest.
Expanding on this: Would that mean you are getting a (Dagger Skill/Spear Skill) item of the cheapest metal in Adventure mode?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: February 18, 2016, 04:48:51 am »

It's just set to copper, AFAIK.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: February 18, 2016, 01:55:39 pm »

Far as I can tell, the adventure mode thing might be hard-coded.

Also interesting, if you muck with a civ to make them start without access to metal (while still having picks as digging tools), the embark screen will force steel picks on you anyway, and removing them will lead to the discovery that they aren't on your purchase list.

The solution is you can assign a pick to that civ as a WEAPON and that'll allow it to show up as made out of, for example, wood. At least, assuming you give them the token for wooden weapons. Which is the only way you're getting non-metal weapons on the embark screen, even if you mod in stone picks or such.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: February 18, 2016, 02:13:35 pm »

Using WEAPON instead of DIGGER also lets you start a dorf with mining skill as an adventurer.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: February 18, 2016, 02:16:54 pm »

Ah right, which might be interesting. It does cause miner to show up twice on the skill list in embark mode though.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: February 18, 2016, 11:09:49 pm »

From the most recent post, I figure it'll be out before you post a reply but just in case.
Assuming you get to one of these replies before 42.07 is out, will the tree-cutting job involve moving to the travel screen like composing? I assume the mention of player-created data necessitates the transition to reload the map in the new state if that is the case.

If you do get 42.07 out before replying to this, is the push for adventurer-site creation related to the work needed to get the roadside taverns working?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: February 18, 2016, 11:50:12 pm »

Of course, chopping down trees isn't very interesting by itself. The reason we went forward with it now is that next we'll be using the logs for some construction options and finally adventurer-driven site creation to cap adventure mode features for this release. More on that as it is implemented!

That's a pretty big deal.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: February 18, 2016, 11:57:54 pm »

All aboard the hype train. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: February 19, 2016, 02:11:38 am »

woot incoming adventure mode crafting and base building.  Here's to keeping our fingers cross that it doesn't give too much trouble

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: February 19, 2016, 03:54:14 am »

1) Will we be able to embark on areas with adventurer made sites present or will they be blocked?
2) If we designate our adventure built site as a fortress (if that's possible) can we actually reclaim it later in fortress mode?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: February 19, 2016, 08:36:04 am »

This is really great. It's the beginning of something much bigger, I hope !

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: February 19, 2016, 12:58:45 pm »

Here's a thought. If or when adventure mode sites become a thing, how are they planned to interact with existing sites? For example, would local lords get annoyed at the player-character for building unauthorized things all other their farming fields?

And what about the potential for building an isolated shelter in the wilderness, would that eventually allow retiring in places that normally aren't safe to retire in?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: February 20, 2016, 01:51:32 pm »

^I would assume that part of the player created site data issues includes having them be retire-ready.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: February 20, 2016, 01:59:51 pm »

Will be interesting, yes. Though it seems that to answer my own question (or part of it), Toady did mention that overwriting stuff in existing sites is going to be more complicated, so no pissing off the local lords and ladies just yet. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3464 on: February 20, 2016, 11:39:52 pm »

I know you plan to add bounties, but will we ever be able to for example, join a shady organization that for example kills nobles for other nobles.
Sort of like the dark brotherhood from skyrim? (Like an assassins guild) Or at least will nobles who are having succession issues maybe confront you and ask you to kill another noble to help you up their social status if you have a reputation for killing things and offer monetary rewards, perhaps only communicating through messages and that brings me to my other question...
Will you ever add "couriers" who deliver messages to you from people who want you to do things for them/meat them somewhere and if so could we use this to order around members of our own organization.

also (unrelated)

You said on the adventure mode  df talk toady that you wanted to keep workshops out of adventurer mode  - since they were more an abstraction of a concept and would be overhauled later. What changed your mind?

(original question from a dude on reddit)

Can players no longer usher in the age of emptiness in a given world many adventure mode players are claiming you can no longer depopulate sites in adventure mode
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:41:01 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 306