Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1840127 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3480 on: February 22, 2016, 11:47:47 pm »

I can't seem to find anything about that on the dev page, though I swear I've seen it mentioned before that the game will eventually move more towards work-zones than workshops.

He mentioned it in df talk. Have you checked the old dev page?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: February 22, 2016, 11:51:05 pm »

Will adventurers be able to make buildings from cloth?
And if they can, will that eventually migrate to fort mode as well?

I guess cloth should have some disadvantages. Maybe rot.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3482 on: February 22, 2016, 11:52:53 pm »

Oh, I'm suddenly remembering that boogeymen exist.
In what manner do boogeymen exist? Are they phantasmagorical, physical-just-summoned, or some kind of spiritual entity, like a ghost?

Looking forward, how do you think boogeymen should exist in relation to the citizens of fortresses? What sort of cultural influence do you think they should have? Will their degree of physicality vary with the "world fancifulness" settings you mentioned implementing at one point or another?

Do bogeymen set off traps? Should bogeymen set off traps?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: February 23, 2016, 03:30:30 am »

With being able to build now, does the construction exist as a true site, with a name, people who know of it could give directions, an entry in legends mode? Would we have a claim of ownership to our site? Would that be an independent claim (only we are associated with it, nobody else) or would it belong to our civilization if we are a member of one?

Since you made a workshop, which workshops and reactions are available to us in adventure mode for now? All of them?

So we can entomb the dead now in coffins we made (they are a container), right? Will that actually count as them being properly memorialized? Can we make slabs to memorialize someone as well?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: February 23, 2016, 10:08:33 am »

Oh, I'm suddenly remembering that boogeymen exist.
In what manner do boogeymen exist? Are they phantasmagorical, physical-just-summoned, or some kind of spiritual entity, like a ghost?

Looking forward, how do you think boogeymen should exist in relation to the citizens of fortresses? What sort of cultural influence do you think they should have? Will their degree of physicality vary with the "world fancifulness" settings you mentioned implementing at one point or another?

Do bogeymen set off traps? Should bogeymen set off traps?
Boogeymen are real things, but you are under such existential stress that perceptions are warped into phantasmagorical proportions.  You see, boogeymen are the fervent supporters of a political party other than your own ;)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: February 23, 2016, 01:00:28 pm »

Im unsure if this fits FoTF, but do you edit the RAW files by hand? Or did you develop your own RAW tool?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3486 on: February 23, 2016, 01:37:54 pm »

Will workshops be replaced by zones or rooms eventually? Like a tavern, you build tools and store them in it.

Outside of him mentioning it in DF talk, the prime reason it isn't implemented yet seems to be the issue of tools and stockpiles. Like, should there only be a saw and hammer for carpetting, or does there need to be more and add sanding, pliers, rulers for measuring etc etc, and how to prevent the player going insane juggling all these.

Not sure though, my memory is a bit fuzzy lately.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: February 23, 2016, 06:48:14 pm »

I expect someone else will be able to answer this, but I have no idea where to find an answer myself...

Will the 30-item cap for manager jobs ever be lifted? Sometimes I need 100 statues or something to be made at once and it's tedious to add in several different jobs and sort out their priorities separately.
[Signature]

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: February 23, 2016, 07:34:11 pm »

Oh my, when you use a reaction that specifies only something empty (for brewing into flasks/waterskins/mugs/barrels as an adventurer, for example) it lists weapons you are holding. From poking around trying to do this with dfhack I know there isn't much difference between a weapon containing a corpse and a coffin containing a corpse. You recently mentioned putting items in containers, will we be able to have a nice cozy little cabin in the woods with rows of upright weapons and the bodies of our foes impaled on them?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3489 on: February 23, 2016, 07:59:45 pm »

Will we eventually be able to define our own custom biomes, just like with custom weather effects?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: February 24, 2016, 12:08:49 am »

You could soon be able to repair some of the dodgy procedural bridges/roads created during worldgen with an adventuring carpenter.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: February 24, 2016, 04:13:37 am »

Do you have any intention of adding a sound engine at some point in development?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3492 on: February 24, 2016, 06:05:54 pm »

Will we eventually be able to define our own custom biomes, just like with custom weather effects?

Thats not really how the game works, the biomes are ingrained deeply into the simulation eg, swamps are based on a salinity maps, water maps , temperature, climate etc and a ton of other maps on the world map.It doesnt just randomly place biomes they come about based on climate and stuff like real life.  If you mean defining something akin to a"good/evil" biome the plan is to base them off of spheres. I doubt we will be able to create our own, we might be able to edit raw files for them like with evil biomes and stuff though.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:22:02 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: February 24, 2016, 06:07:22 pm »

Do you plan to ever add any new Ages?

Will Armok appear in any capacity in generated mythology?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3494 on: February 24, 2016, 06:12:06 pm »

Do you plan to ever add any new Ages?

Will Armok appear in any capacity in generated mythology?

Doubtful,  the gods are procedurally generated, and  I believe toady has said armok is not planned to appear in dwarf fortress without modding ever (though I might be wrong about armok).

What do you mean by more ages btw?
list of ages here, though most ages are based on adlibbing names of creatures and such.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Calendar
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:17:48 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 306