Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1841595 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3885 on: April 02, 2016, 03:36:35 pm »

If the added elements are named the same way existing generated beasts are, it would be acceptable. You could at least parse the name and at least have a vague idea of what to expect. The problem is if they're named the same way the instruments are, which would be moronic. ;w;

Well, you can look at descriptions of titans, and they'll say something like "A three-eyed quadruped with oval copper scales. Beware it's poisonous bite!" The description helps a lot more than the name.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: April 02, 2016, 03:39:51 pm »

True. Still, even then you have hill titan, tundra titan, etc. Or really just titan, that alone immediately tells you to check the description. All titans fit a specific naming theme, all night trolls fit a naming theme of their own, etc. It tells you something, even if that something is "you're gonna want to look at the description to see just how fucked you are" instead. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3887 on: April 02, 2016, 04:33:59 pm »

Toady wrote that you might generate a world without even being guaranteed dwarves or humans or anything, and all the critters are rando-land.  While such a thing might be interesting for those seeking a novel experience, it would also make it very difficult for newer players, especially, to make heads or tails of anything, since the rules of the game are changing every time you play.

Imagine if the bugfuck-insanely-named musical instruments, only they can kill you. This is the only major downside I see, wherein the name gives no reliable clue as to what you're looking at.

How will the myth generation affect the naming methods of these new generated features? Will they at least have names that give a vague hint as to what to expect (like how demons and night trolls are labeled), or will it use random language-based monikers? Because I can see that being an infinitely worse idea than that feature's current use with musical instruments. I don't mind not having any clue what an instrument is just from the name, because an instrument can't eat my face. -_-

Read some screenshots (like from the recent interview) the myths actually make sense when you read them (as do the artifacts and such) so I expect it will have a decent naming scheme.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: April 02, 2016, 04:56:41 pm »

Hmm, this bodes well.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: April 02, 2016, 05:08:16 pm »

Toady is certainly aware of the gray goo problem and has mentioned a few times that he wants to improve exposition of the generated elements, such as during world generation. I had a suggestion topic about an overview mode some years back. Something like that could also help.

Read some screenshots (like from the recent interview) the myths actually make sense when you read them (as do the artifacts and such) so I expect it will have a decent naming scheme.
Well, there is that one type of element that wasn't quite clear from the earlier screenshots that I theorized could be pantheons. They do seem to share the color of elements called "Gods"/"Divinity", so that may mean they are... Actually, if you're answering detail questions in the next FotF reply:

Are elements like The Badatite from the interview pantheons as it seems from sharing a color with elements like the Dupicia Divinity?
Primordial/Cosmic seems pretty clear - an element with no direct parentage. Does Celestial have a similar meaning, and are there other tags like them?
It seems that the myths generally involve at most two entities to act as "direct parents." Are there any acts of creation involving three or more entities?
Does the prototype generator already read the game raws? If so, how does it know to group the animal people away from the animals?

(Questions mostly rendered moot by the talk being free content.)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:44:20 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: April 02, 2016, 05:38:57 pm »

I had a suggestion topic about an overview mode some years back. Something like that could also help.

The silliness of modesty past the point of bringing up a subject aside, you might as well link something to make it easier for people to actually find what you are talking about. :P

Allow me to shamelessly plug your thread for you.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3891 on: April 02, 2016, 09:53:00 pm »

So, the system for playing as a bard in this game is amazing, you can write music play instruments get people all  happy, dance, do poems, play music, pretty much whatever you want however, people don't get bored  when you play the same song five thousand times, and they don't throw money at you when you play really well, and if you are bad, they don't try to, for example throw you out of the tavern, do you plan to make it so people can become bored if you play the same song five thousand times (especially if the song is described as not even being very good in general)  and get upset if you play really bad (or really crappy songs), or will people always be perpetually entertained by the same song (even if its a "badly written" song)  and not throw you out of taverns for playing badly..?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:55:03 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: April 02, 2016, 10:03:21 pm »

So, the system for playing as a bard in this game is amazing, you can write music play instruments get people all  happy, dance, do poems, play music, pretty much whatever you want however, people don't get bored  when you play the same song five thousand times, and they don't throw money at you when you play really well, and if you are bad, they don't try to, for example throw you out of the tavern, do you plan to make it so people can become bored if you play the same song five thousand times (especially if the song is described as not even being very good in general)  and get upset if you play really bad (or really crappy songs), or will people always be perpetually entertained by the same song (even if its a "badly written" song)  and not throw you out of taverns for playing badly..?
Bye bye Miss American Pie... Drove my Chevy to levee but the levee was dry...
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: April 02, 2016, 10:08:49 pm »

So, the system for playing as a bard in this game is amazing, you can write music play instruments get people all  happy, dance, do poems, play music, pretty much whatever you want however, people don't get bored  when you play the same song five thousand times, and they don't throw money at you when you play really well, and if you are bad, they don't try to, for example throw you out of the tavern, do you plan to make it so people can become bored if you play the same song five thousand times (especially if the song is described as not even being very good in general)  and get upset if you play really bad (or really crappy songs), or will people always be perpetually entertained by the same song and not throw you out of taverns for playing badly..?

Not an answer to this, but have you, by chance, played Elona?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3894 on: April 02, 2016, 11:15:01 pm »

So, the system for playing as a bard in this game is amazing, you can write music play instruments get people all  happy, dance, do poems, play music, pretty much whatever you want however, people don't get bored  when you play the same song five thousand times, and they don't throw money at you when you play really well, and if you are bad, they don't try to, for example throw you out of the tavern, do you plan to make it so people can become bored if you play the same song five thousand times (especially if the song is described as not even being very good in general)  and get upset if you play really bad (or really crappy songs), or will people always be perpetually entertained by the same song and not throw you out of taverns for playing badly..?

Not an answer to this, but have you, by chance, played Elona?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually never heard of it until now, thanks for that, ill try it out!
I am an indie game dev!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: April 03, 2016, 04:12:21 am »

I had a suggestion topic about an overview mode some years back. Something like that could also help.

The silliness of modesty past the point of bringing up a subject aside, you might as well link something to make it easier for people to actually find what you are talking about. :P

Allow me to shamelessly plug your thread for you.
Apart from my original suggestion being mostly targeted at a different problem (visibility rather than gray goo), I figured calling it an overview mode at least would give a good idea of how it would look like.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Hartsteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: April 03, 2016, 06:58:17 am »

Hi everybody, making my first comments here and hoping not to ask stupid questions.  :)

Is there a plan to implement some more conditions regarding statics, especially of buildings? Will siege engines be able to topple or destroy walls in the future?

Will tools be necessary to create things?  Will there be more tools like nails & hammer for wooden walls, chisels for masonry, etc.?

When will more things break?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3897 on: April 03, 2016, 09:50:29 am »

Hi everybody, making my first comments here and hoping not to ask stupid questions.  :)

Is there a plan to implement some more conditions regarding statics, especially of buildings? Will siege engines be able to topple or destroy walls in the future?

Will tools be necessary to create things?  Will there be more tools like nails & hammer for wooden walls, chisels for masonry, etc.?

When will more things break?
Check out the Dev page, working siege engines among other things (like digging) are planned . You could also check out the old wreck/bloat Dev page for more info (on phone right now so cannot link).

Toady said in a df talk, and also in the last fotf reply that making dwarves (and by extension adventurers use tools instead of workshops is planned, in fact adventurers already use tools instead of workshops for things)
I am an indie game dev!

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: April 04, 2016, 02:53:23 pm »

I'd guess this would be hard to implement, but will players be able to mod/influence site generation? Will there be more kinds of site-types available in the future, for modding if not for vanilla DF?

Just asking from a modding perspective. It would be cool to have a few more types of sites, for more primitive/advanced civilisations for example. Or have hamlets, but no towns etc.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: April 04, 2016, 03:21:03 pm »

Will nations ever effect the terrain around them? Like say, a bunch of goblins dam off a river to make a lake, but years later the dam bursts, flooding the river valley?
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 306