Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842721 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4110 on: April 26, 2016, 11:10:34 am »

allowed work orders to be automatically restarted with different frequencies (always/monthly/seasonal/yearly), respecting any conditions.

Any conditions? What kind of range is that 'any'? What is the craziest condition you implemented, or will be possible with your implementation?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4111 on: April 26, 2016, 12:45:48 pm »

Well, generally it's when they kill someone (a sapient someone), isn't it ?

That's a fairly easy one to pull off, but there is also being a child of a historical figure, being some sort of explorer or adventurer, being a leader of any kind, or making some sort of notable object whether it is an artifact or just some masterwork crafts and becoming a legendary crafter.

About language, I think that it will part of a "Culture" arc, because there are a LOT of things to do (and very interesting one) to differenciate cultures. Look at what Ultima Ratio Regum has tried to do on this part.

But about dialogue and conversation I wondered something.

Some RPG have very advanced (of course, scripted) talks between you and your PNJ companions (such as, for example most Obsidian games), while others have very minimal or no "psychological" interaction. How do you envision interaction between you and your companion(s) ? Are you happy with the current state of this part of the game, do you plan in a middle/long term to change it, and if yes, how (=to what) ?

Toady wants to allow marriage and romance at some point, and if you can have romance with anyone, why not your followers?

In any event, as long as there's a Language Arc in the future, I can't imagine there isn't further rewrites of dialogue that will go with it.

About the language arc, I wonder if toady is still planning to procedurally generate actual text snippets/paragraphs in books for players to translate or if he has completely decided that that probably isn't "doable", it wouldn't surprise me if he still wanted to accomplish it, he isn't one to shy away from something so challenging.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: April 26, 2016, 08:41:47 pm »

About the language arc, I wonder if toady is still planning to procedurally generate actual text snippets/paragraphs in books for players to translate or if he has completely decided that that probably isn't "doable", it wouldn't surprise me if he still wanted to accomplish it, he isn't one to shy away from something so challenging.

I'm not so sure it would even be that challenging... you know, unless you wanted it to make sense or something. 

Strictly speaking, if you just used some sort of chatbot program off the shelf that just generates conversational-style text, and then used the mostly already-existing code to just find and replace words in English with words in Dwarvish, you'd be done. 

Language arc mostly needs to do things like be able to conjugate verbs, (I.E. right now, "anger" is "ustos" in dwarvish, and "angered" is "ustos", and "will be angry" is "ustos", and "angrily" is "ustos"...) as well as set up rules for grammar, rather than just being "Mad Libs" pre-built sentences where you fill in the nouns. Then, you can get things like replacing the exact extent to which a peasant will emphasize the monster in question.  (Not every creature will be described as, "It has killed KILL_NUM in its thirst for destruction!", although even gradients can be created with simple fill-in-the-blanks for how its destructiveness is described.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #4113 on: April 27, 2016, 01:49:29 am »

Well, generally it's when they kill someone (a sapient someone), isn't it ?

That's a fairly easy one to pull off, but there is also being a child of a historical figure, being some sort of explorer or adventurer, being a leader of any kind, or making some sort of notable object whether it is an artifact or just some masterwork crafts and becoming a legendary crafter.

About language, I think that it will part of a "Culture" arc, because there are a LOT of things to do (and very interesting one) to differenciate cultures. Look at what Ultima Ratio Regum has tried to do on this part.

But about dialogue and conversation I wondered something.

Some RPG have very advanced (of course, scripted) talks between you and your PNJ companions (such as, for example most Obsidian games), while others have very minimal or no "psychological" interaction. How do you envision interaction between you and your companion(s) ? Are you happy with the current state of this part of the game, do you plan in a middle/long term to change it, and if yes, how (=to what) ?

Toady wants to allow marriage and romance at some point, and if you can have romance with anyone, why not your followers?

In any event, as long as there's a Language Arc in the future, I can't imagine there isn't further rewrites of dialogue that will go with it.

Theoretically not necessarily impossible, but it would be fiddly. Off the top of my head you'd divide general statements into categories - questions, answers, greetings, etc.  I suppose you'd have to get the program to recognise each separate part of a sentence, like 'Hi, how are you?' and then structure something around that. So:

'Hi' is the greeting - it's interchangeable with a number of other single word greeting, or possibly some more elaborate ones.
Then you've got the question type - in this case you can conceivably swap 'how' out with 'why', 'where', 'what', etc. Then 'are' could be one of a similar list,  - 'were', 'do', 'can', etc.  and then the subject - 'you', 'he', 'she', 'it', 'they', '[name]' etc.

Of course, that has the ability to generate some... interesting questions, and it's pretty simplistic. But it does get quite stodgy when you start going into all the sub-categories any one word can occupy depending on context.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: April 27, 2016, 03:36:49 am »

Will human residents drink water instead of booze?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: April 27, 2016, 05:08:51 pm »

If you go halfway across the world to a legendary dwarven tavern, would you drink water instead of booze?
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: April 27, 2016, 05:10:48 pm »

If you go halfway across the world to a legendary dwarven tavern, would you drink water instead of booze?
Hey, if dwarves understood the motivations of humans, they'd probably get sieged less often.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: April 27, 2016, 06:15:37 pm »

Like if their "sit near fire, all sad and thirsty" tactic isn't enough.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: April 28, 2016, 12:28:13 am »

Historically, there was reason not to drink the water, what with people dumping their sewage into the same waters their wells were connected to and all.  The brewing process killed the germs, whether that was alcohol or tea or later coffee, since it involved getting water up to or at least near boiling.

Europeans drank either (weak) alcoholic drinks or (herbal) teas in the time period DF is constrained to. 

If you're talking about adding more drinks, then adding tea brewing makes more sense.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4119 on: April 28, 2016, 08:10:19 am »

Historically, there was reason not to drink the water, what with people dumping their sewage into the same waters their wells were connected to and all.  The brewing process killed the germs, whether that was alcohol or tea or later coffee, since it involved getting water up to or at least near boiling.

Europeans drank either (weak) alcoholic drinks or (herbal) teas in the time period DF is constrained to. 

If you're talking about adding more drinks, then adding tea brewing makes more sense.

I would play with tea brewing if toady added that!
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: April 28, 2016, 08:33:13 am »

*DG was unfocused after being unable to sample a suitably quixotic tea preference for too long*

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: April 28, 2016, 05:26:32 pm »

I've been doing some math about possible tile sizes. It takes an average dwarf 9 ticks to walk 1 tile, which equates to 10 meters at WolframAlpha's 2.5 mph estimate. This means the map sizes in the "Create World" menu are Wales, Israel, Portugal, Germany, and Iran. A standard 4x4 embark is about 910 acres, and with 200 dwarves, that's about average (142 people per square mile) population density. Does 10x10 make more sense than 2x2 tile sizes?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: April 28, 2016, 08:00:15 pm »

I've been doing some math about possible tile sizes. It takes an average dwarf 9 ticks to walk 1 tile, which equates to 10 meters at WolframAlpha's 2.5 mph estimate. This means the map sizes in the "Create World" menu are Wales, Israel, Portugal, Germany, and Iran. A standard 4x4 embark is about 910 acres, and with 200 dwarves, that's about average (142 people per square mile) population density. Does 10x10 make more sense than 2x2 tile sizes?
Dwarves have shorter legs than humans, so are probably slower. They probably aren't in much a hurry to begin with. It's not a good idea to work backwards from speed when we don't know how fast a dwarf should be.

Tiles have been loosely defined as 2 meters wide, at least until Toady decides to rework them. Creatures and items have been given definitive volumes in the raws, but that's useless when everything fits in one tile.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:06:41 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: April 28, 2016, 09:37:02 pm »

*DG was unfocused after being unable to sample a suitably quixotic tea preference for too long*
If you're that unfocused, are you sure that was tea?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: April 29, 2016, 03:14:47 am »

It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 306