Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1839604 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4395 on: June 10, 2016, 08:33:01 am »

...you fixed 0003838?

We can encounter/be sieged by/loot world-gen enemies in full armor?

Did you ever know that you're my hero? You are the windmagma beneath my wingsminecart.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: June 10, 2016, 09:21:25 am »

^ That was #1 on the wishlist. Too awesome  :)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: June 11, 2016, 10:55:49 pm »

^ That was #1 on the wishlist. Too awesome  :)
Tarn's explanation of what went into fixing that and what has to be fixed to make sure nothing else goes wrong as a result of fixing it was highly entertaining. Item wear, broken necks, ripping helmets off unconscious opponents. Awesome stuff to look forward to.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: June 11, 2016, 11:03:31 pm »

Got my question just a little late on the Twitch Stream during DwarfMoot.

Ocean Titans don't seem to get generated anymore. Can we expect to see them terrorizing the seas when boats are introduced? We currently have Sea Monsters but they're limited to evil regions and don't have that randomly generated charm.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: June 12, 2016, 04:21:03 am »

Will there be a sort of recap anywhere of what has been said during the DwarfMoot ? I hope !

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: June 12, 2016, 06:05:09 am »

Recording of the live stream will be put up some time soon according to Capntastic.

kane_t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: June 13, 2016, 03:06:19 pm »

Do you plan to add more noble positions in Fortress mode--especially ones with special requirements (like offices)--or to strengthen the requirements for the noble positions that exist (like bookkeepers consuming writing material)?  If so, is that a near-term milestone or a long-term one?

I really like the way noble requirements shake up your fortress design and force you to think more carefully about your layouts, and I especially (no sarcasm!) like the way managers and bookkeepers actually require offices to do the work that lets you access basic interface functionality.  But, as it stands, unless you sprout a lot of barons, there are only very few positions like that.  Chief Medical Dwarfs don't even need an office to work.  I'd really like if there was more of an administrative class in fortress society, especially if it was tied into core simulation mechanics (eg., make it harder to keep dwarves happy, and then add a Therapist noble position that helps sad dwarves).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:23:10 pm by kane_t »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: June 13, 2016, 04:38:51 pm »

This might not be for this release, but is indeed a question for the future of the fortress. How much independence or free will for the dwarves or any being that composes the population of your fortress you intent in the end? I mean, eventually we'll end up with "civilian zones/areas" where the dwellers can do whatever they want?

To further what I mean, I'm imaging zones where they can make up their own rooms/houses, workshops, markets, churches, taverns and so on at their own wits within the same site of your fortress.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: June 13, 2016, 07:29:20 pm »

I have a question about the myth thing.
At GDC it was said that you can set the myth level, that limit the stuff that can happen on the world, humans as some example have an ultra low mythic level and so they can happen even with a ultra low myth level.
My question is, does setting your world mythic level to a high value, force the world generation to generate high mythic level creatures/stuff, or the world will generate itself logically as it always do and if it the generator "feels" a higher mythic level thing is needed it will put this thing without rejecting the world?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:37:49 pm by exdeath »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: June 13, 2016, 07:46:08 pm »

I have a question about the myth thing.
At GDC it was said that you can set the myth level, that limit the stuff that can happen on the world, humans as some example have an ultra low mythic level and so they can happen even with a ultra low myth level.

My question is, does setting your world mythic level to a high value, force the world generation to generate high mythic level creatures/stuff, or the world will generate itself logically as it always do and if it the generator "feels" a higher mythic level thing is needed it will put this thing without rejecting the world?
Questions in lime green, like this.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: June 13, 2016, 11:28:03 pm »

...and some combat AI to make people remove helmets from unconscious opponents. Then the release should be ready.
Every time I look at the devlog lately I squee a little.  Just a little.  Enough to be awkward when reading on a phone at a funeral, but not enough to be heard across the room.

No longer will one of the first things I do with new versions be modding helmet coverage from 100% to 80%.  Because people should be smart enough to take the bloody thing off now!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: June 13, 2016, 11:32:39 pm »

So wait...my tactic of distracting the GCS by having it gnaw uselessly on the Captain of the Guard's steel helmeted head until the rest of the squad turn up might not work any more?

- The giant cave spider carefully removes the swordsdwarf's helmet...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:35:25 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: June 14, 2016, 12:17:28 am »

Well, that's to be expected in dwarf fortress. I imagine later bug fix notes will mention "stopped unintelligent creatures from figuring out how to undress and disarm opponents"
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: June 14, 2016, 03:56:29 am »

Wooo! Just read the devlog about the armoured invader changes upcoming. Having just lost a fortress because my copper-clad military insisted on repeatedly beating the iron helmet of a gobbo while the civilians were slaughtered, this sounds like a good change!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: June 14, 2016, 09:27:56 am »

Well, that's to be expected in dwarf fortress. I imagine later bug fix notes will mention "stopped unintelligent creatures from figuring out how to undress and disarm opponents"

I can see this being bloody inevitable, but on the other hand I suspect it will cause bugs of even stranger nature. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 306