Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842245 times)

Colev0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4500 on: June 24, 2016, 01:58:50 am »

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with asking, but have you checked out the bug tracker recently? There's hundreds and hundreds of issues. Some of them are bugs, some of them are unfinished features. Unless you say specifically what you want to know, you almost certainly won't get the answer you want.

You want to know "When will animal men be more viable and less quirky?". Define viable. Define quirk. What do you want to do with an animal man? Are you aware of the massive updates animal men got in this cycle making them hundreds of times more "viable" than previously?

Your question is as vague as "Hey, will you fix the issue with the dwarves some time?". Everything in the game could do with being less "quirky".

It's good to ask questions. But be more specific if you want actual information. DF is a massive game with a huge long-term development plan and nobody can read your mind to guess what you're asking.

I'm not sure I deserved a belittling lecture over a mere misunderstanding, but you've got a point. Here's something less vague, then:

Are there plans to fix issue #0009588 on the Bay12 bug tracker anytime soon? The issue makes animal people undesirable as fortress residents and adventure mode companions because it more than halves their walking speed when they aren't hauling/carrying something in their hands. I'd really like to use animal people as residents in a fortress since it makes the fort's population more varied, but this issue makes it difficult for them to do several jobs efficiently, and thus discourages their use.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: June 24, 2016, 05:15:30 am »

I'm not sure I deserved a belittling lecture over a mere misunderstanding, but you've got a point. Here's something less vague, then:

Are there plans to fix issue #0009588 on the Bay12 bug tracker anytime soon? The issue makes animal people undesirable as fortress residents and adventure mode companions because it more than halves their walking speed when they aren't hauling/carrying something in their hands. I'd really like to use animal people as residents in a fortress since it makes the fort's population more varied, but this issue makes it difficult for them to do several jobs efficiently, and thus discourages their use.
Fantastic to see you on the forum! I hope you stick around, and join the community.

So question likes these, when asking about Blah, or X, in the future, is "Sounds good, no time line." Its doubtful there are heinous bugs that ToadyOne and ThreeToe are like, "We could fix that, but nah." Considering this seems like being told no twice in the row on your question, I really do hope you stick around.  ToadyOne has over the years, kinda set up a pattern to a certain category of questions. This bug we'll get looked at again, when they become relevant to development. Considering the last release, ToadyOne stated they were gonna start to switch DF over to 64bit, its probably very unlikely that your personal favorite bug is gonna get quashed in the time frame of "soon", unless it exist because of memory registry issues, which, you know, it may.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:17:15 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Colev0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: June 24, 2016, 02:00:15 pm »

Fantastic to see you on the forum! I hope you stick around, and join the community.

So question likes these, when asking about Blah, or X, in the future, is "Sounds good, no time line." Its doubtful there are heinous bugs that ToadyOne and ThreeToe are like, "We could fix that, but nah." Considering this seems like being told no twice in the row on your question, I really do hope you stick around.  ToadyOne has over the years, kinda set up a pattern to a certain category of questions. This bug we'll get looked at again, when they become relevant to development. Considering the last release, ToadyOne stated they were gonna start to switch DF over to 64bit, its probably very unlikely that your personal favorite bug is gonna get quashed in the time frame of "soon", unless it exist because of memory registry issues, which, you know, it may.

Ah, well, I suppose I should've expected that. Regardless, thanks for the reply, and the warm welcome.

Urist McWoodBurner

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: June 27, 2016, 01:01:39 pm »

So I was listening in the video of the Dwarf Moot about boats and the economy so my questions,

Will you be implementing some sort of port that can be built in fortress mode? That would make ocean embark more interesting and also being able to build ships/wagons to send to trade with other cities? I think that would add awesome depth once the economy is set up. Sending dwarf out to their death the world and see if they survive the wild.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:09:09 pm by Urist McWoodBurner »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: June 27, 2016, 02:21:56 pm »

Given the Dwarfmoot talked about boat draft, you'd need to use piers to get out to a sufficient depth for the boats to float free. You can currently build floors/piers without a problem, but last time I tried to build a wave breaker it failed as waves just continued through without being affected.
One the one hand, using a dry dock to build a boat is a great usage of dwarven engineering, but on the other hand it doesn't match the boat building technology of the DF timeline. I'd go for the dry dock anyway, though, as building the boat on land and slide it into the water is likely to be tricky.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: June 27, 2016, 02:26:05 pm »

One the one hand, using a dry dock to build a boat is a great usage of dwarven engineering, but on the other hand it doesn't match the boat building technology of the DF timeline.

What, no viking longboats? :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: June 27, 2016, 04:41:22 pm »

One the one hand, using a dry dock to build a boat is a great usage of dwarven engineering, but on the other hand it doesn't match the boat building technology of the DF timeline.

What, no viking longboats? :V
I have a feeling that as soon as DF has viking longboats, we will see an entire development cycle dedicated to improve farming.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: June 27, 2016, 04:55:19 pm »

;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: June 28, 2016, 01:57:47 am »

Longboats are within the DF time line, but Vikings are not within the DF universes...

I fail to see any connection between longboats and dry docks, however, but you can of course build a longboat in a dry dock, even though they were built light enough to be possible to haul past rapids, and so didn't require much in the way of infrastructure to get into the water.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: June 28, 2016, 02:09:18 am »

Longboats are within the DF time line, but Vikings are not within the DF universes...
It's not that big of a jump in lore to imagine coastal raiders in longboats once boats and 'normal' fantasy pirates are implemented.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: June 28, 2016, 02:12:00 am »

True. Does seem like dry docks would require the ability to transport a boat over land to some degree, something longboats will also require. In game terms, it's reasonable to assume that both mechanics, if they become accessible in fortress mode, will be easier to use with smaller boats.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: June 28, 2016, 02:17:37 am »

True. Does seem like dry docks would require the ability to transport a boat over land to some degree, something longboats will also require. In game terms, it's reasonable to assume that both mechanics, if they become accessible in fortress mode, will be easier to use with smaller boats.
When you travel over dry land, you just pack up your boat and throw it on the wagon. Problem?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: June 28, 2016, 02:38:00 am »

And what if your boat IS the wagon?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: June 28, 2016, 02:49:10 am »

And what if your boat IS the wagon?
A new Hollywood blockbuster in the making. Zombie Sperm Whale vs Wagon.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: June 28, 2016, 03:35:51 am »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 306