Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1841506 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #510 on: September 26, 2014, 09:20:28 pm »

What are the 119 emotions?

The 6 emotions present in dwarf mode were horror, terror, fear, shock, grief, and rage.  What were the remaining 10?

love, melancholy/depressed, beserk rage, those emotions that nobles get when demands aren't met..... I'm also curious as to what the 16 are.

Still, 119 emotions or emotes, wow, that goes from like I dunno, a dull novel to a shakesperian play, it's a huge amount of new interactions. Or maybe a simple melody to a complex symphony or opera would be a better example.

It'll no longer be the rather simple, now it'll be a complex interaction.

Now that things are livelier and with the conversations, Will we get to peek in on the conversations of our dwarves in fort mode? You know, see Urist McFuturedad on his pregnant wife and future child, see the soldiers comment on the slaying of the FB or be concerned about injured comrades, see our dwarves pay thier respects to the dead, grumble about the shortage of copper, etc.

Edit: Oh, will the 119 emotions also be applied to the other races and be visible in adventure mode?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:40:59 am by smjjames »

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 26, 2014, 11:41:03 pm »

Do each of the emotions have a distinct in game effect, aside from just a note on the dwarf information screen?

Will grief mean more than appreciation of art now?

Will dwarves become acclimated to splendor, and no longer be brought to tears in awe at their masterwork dining room after eating there all their lives?  On the flip side, if they lose said legendary diningroom and then have to deal with lesser quality, will they see it as a major loss, or still as an "okay" diningroom?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:44:10 pm by Fieari »

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 27, 2014, 01:01:30 am »

usually through the stress/stability measurements which replace the "happiness" meter
Does this mean there's no "positive excitement" (like joy of giving birth, which should be neither "stable" nor "stressed") status anymore?

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #513 on: September 27, 2014, 02:22:53 am »

119 emotions? I'd imagine most of these are situational nuances on the same emotion scales.
This wheel, for instance, is probably some indication on the kind of thing we might expect:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No idea on the practical effects. It'll certainly be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm impressed.

So dread is not quite the same as fear, nor terror.

Fear is the base emotion - covers everything, more of less.

Terror is the immediate reaction to an immediate and terrible threat, eg: Urist Mc Butcher charging at you with a meat cleaver.

Dread is the long-term anticipatory emotional state arising only in situational context, eg: from the potential for Urist McButcher to come charging at you with a meat cleaver because he's found out you've been schtupping his wife.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:41:42 am by WordsandChaos »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 27, 2014, 03:21:39 am »

Is this going to work in Adventure mode too so we can finally get something else than "it was inevitable" in answer to incredible adventure feats ?

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 27, 2014, 06:49:02 am »

I wouldn't be surprised if, at first, it will be more like dwarf mode becoming all "It was inevitable." with a chance of "My fury boils, this will not be forgiven!" or "Oh joy! Oh blessed day!". We'll see.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 27, 2014, 07:18:11 am »

How do you plan on farming out parts of the game that the community may be better able to detail, such as creatures and thier behaviour or farming and blacksmithing? Am i right in saying that the raws this depends on are crucial to the donation model (or don't exist yet :P)?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 27, 2014, 08:46:51 am »

I guess you could say that this update was... very emotional.  8)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 27, 2014, 10:10:43 am »

I guess you could say that this update was... very emotional.  8)

:'(
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 27, 2014, 06:18:57 pm »

Dwarves already talk in Fortress Mode, but you can only see it in the combat reports. They even have special dialogue for when they master skills.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 28, 2014, 02:26:17 pm »

The 6 emotions present in dwarf mode were horror, terror, fear, shock, grief, and rage.  What were the remaining 10?

Judging by the string dump, they were:
suspicion, alarm, shock, horror, grief, triumph, rage, grim satisfaction, satisfaction, fear, sadness, love, bliss, vengefulness, terror

Edit - and joy. Then it's the full 16.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 04:12:56 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 28, 2014, 03:45:18 pm »

You could see some, too; "Someone sneaking around? That's awfully suspicious!" is said when you sneak in broad daylight in front of nobody hostile.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 28, 2014, 05:35:24 pm »

How many of the emotions are ones that have long German names that have no equivalent in English?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 28, 2014, 11:26:26 pm »

How many of the emotions are ones that have long German names that have no equivalent in English?

Everything is schadenfreude for us, as soon as we start talking about the demise of everyone else's fortresses.

In a more serious note, which ones are you talking about, specifically?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 29, 2014, 09:19:39 am »

Everything is schadenfreude for us, as soon as we start talking about the demise of everyone else's fortresses.

In a more serious note, which ones are you talking about, specifically?

The only one I know of is schadenfreude.

Just wondering here, when will the bug where attacking armies in post worldgen are always successful, leading to Mongol Horde style waves of mass conquerings, be fixed? It creates a real problem for longer term gameplay for any single world. This bug is mainly notable in fort mode, but it seems to happen in adventure mode as well.

This bug I think: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8202
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:26:14 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 306