Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1839583 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #525 on: September 29, 2014, 10:10:13 am »

Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft.

Just wondering here, when will the bug where attacking armies in post worldgen are always successful, leading to Mongol Horde style waves of mass conquerings, be fixed? It creates a real problem for longer term gameplay for any single world. This bug is mainly notable in fort mode, but it seems to happen in adventure mode as well.

This bug I think: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8202

It's a deliberate placeholder for now, and not a bug as such, and timeline questions rarely have good answers. Also see this Twitter exchange:
Quote from: Bay12Games
Quote from: TinyPirate
@Bay12Games any word when civilizations won't lose any time they are attacked? #dwarffortress
@TinyPirate Army fights are a large issue, and there are obstacles to even just making it a coin flip, so no short term plans.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 29, 2014, 04:19:36 pm »

Whatever happened to these composite footprint images?

I assume they got scrapped because it would have been too much work to research and integrate footprints for every creature, but is that still planned to be added in the far future?
I'd say that's great opportunity for the community to collect some data and transform it in a meaningful format.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 29, 2014, 07:58:51 pm »

Thanks for bringing the footprints, CLA. I was pretty sure I saw them somewhere through the development cycle, also a bit sad to realize they didn't make the cut.

Reading about them I noticed something else I was going to ask anyway, and it is, how are living encampments and search posses going to be implemented in the current frame? Right now tents are just fancy backdrops for either unjustified murder or meaningless, one-sided interactions, what with their occupants being always asleep.

Haven't commited enough crimes in a single savefile to provoke manhunts against me, but I think they're non-existant by now. I might be wrong.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 29, 2014, 09:49:39 pm »

Thanks for bringing the footprints, CLA. I was pretty sure I saw them somewhere through the development cycle, also a bit sad to realize they didn't make the cut.

Reading about them I noticed something else I was going to ask anyway, and it is, how are living encampments and search posses going to be implemented in the current frame? Right now tents are just fancy backdrops for either unjustified murder or meaningless, one-sided interactions, what with their occupants being always asleep.

Haven't commited enough crimes in a single savefile to provoke manhunts against me, but I think they're non-existant by now. I might be wrong.

FIFY also bug report link http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6798

Whatever is going on with the camps, even animals are affected. I posted up two odd ones (the second one is even stranger than the first, which looked like some sort of horse thief situation (or llama thief, as it were), or something) which have animals included. Also, the first odd save, which I had met earlier in a hillock, didn't seem to have any real reason to be hostile to me when they woke up. Though understandably, you'd be spooked to suddenly find a stranger in your tent when you wake up.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:56:52 pm by smjjames »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 30, 2014, 03:58:11 am »

Yeah, I even added the tiles that would have been used to the tileset page on the wiki before realizing that they weren't in the game. I guess it's one of those things where DF has to know what it wants. "you see the footprint of a racoon", or displaying an image of a racoon footprint? The former has the obvious advantage that you - as player - don't need to know what a racoon footprint looks like (still have to know what a racoon is though). Whereas I think an image of a footprint would be more fun to play, as the game relies more on your own knowledge; I like that in games. You wouldn't even have to know what animal it is, just using your common sense (it's a big creature. it's a small creature. it has claws, it doesn't) should get you reasonably far. Although I think providing a scale of reference would be nice.
Of course ideally, you could do both, image and text. With text getting more concrete and informative as your character's skill increases. At worst, you see the image of a footprint with text "about as big as your hand, they point north", while a legendary tracker might give you "young brown bear, running north; about a day old"
In either case, images aren't really necessary and just cosmetic/flavor. Not to mention you'd have to do them for every creature you add. I think it could work with procedurally generated creatures, though.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 30, 2014, 10:24:07 am »

I would guess that the footprint images didn't last very long. We only heard about them that once on the devlog, and in the FotF post a few weeks later, it was still a "if we're even doing it" vibe.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 30, 2014, 11:57:38 am »

Heh I started a fortress in a nearly dead world in which the intelligent population consists of 13 kobolds.

What amused me is that the one who was appointed as queen dreamed of ruling the world. she kind of gets her wish. c:
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #532 on: September 30, 2014, 09:37:49 pm »

Thanks to MrWiggles, Talvieno, Valtam, Eric Blank, Footkerchief, Knight Otu, BenLubar, lethosor, therahedwig, smjjames and anybody I missed for helping to answer questions.  I cut out a few scheduling questions, since I don't really have a schedule.  I also removed a few specific suggestions that didn't relate to anything going on now.  The suggestion forum is the best place for those.

Quote from: Urist McVoyager
I was under the impression that we'd be able to interact with Hill Dwarves to some degree in Fortress mode in this release, but I haven't seen anything about it. What needs to be done before that comes available? I'm just talking about little things like being able to send people out to help them, nothing major like sending out campaign forces en-mass to attack others.
Quote from: Areyar
Do you have a formed idea how hill dwarf<>Fortress trade/transport will be formulated for the player-fort?

We're pretty much ready for hill dwarves, if I remember.  We'd just need to get into some starting scenarios that involve them, and hill dwarf mechanics would be added one by one.

Aside from the timing/sync issues we've been over, there are some issues with equipment in general that are more or less related to your dwarves only needing to eat a few meals a year.  If your fortress gets to a sort of county/duchy/kingdom level, it won't be possible to manage all of the equipment using fortress production.  We also can't have more than a few hundred dwarves at the fort at a time.  So your relationship with off-map dwarves will probably start reasonably intimate and then drop off to a more representative/liaison level with some incidental interactions.  I'm not sure precisely how it'll all work though.  It seems like the sort of thing that'll work itself out once we establish the market/fair setup for your depot and allow you to send out dwarves and have dwarves brought in.

Quote from: Dirst
the current tantrum and insanity systems are "placeholders" but do you have a broad-strokes idea of what needs to be done before this part of the AI (artificial insanity) engine is fleshed out?  I would love to see someone actually appoint a yak to a noble position and mean it!  This would be a legitimate loyalty cascade between loyalty to the noble and loyalty to the country.

I'm not really sure how it should work at this point.  Once we get the new stress/stability system in, it'd probably just be the sort of thing that can be addressed directly.  The easiest way would probably be to assign specific issues to people that have been having trouble for a while, but I have no idea if that's something that should happen.

Quote from: cephalo
I have been messing around with the new options for temperature map settings, and I'm getting a common map rejection called "Placed farming entity without orchard crops". What might have caused that to happen and why is it something that a map should not have?

As far as I can tell, it means it couldn't find local trees with edible growths for them to grow in their orchards, for civs with OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS/INDOOR_ORCHARDS.  As with all the other mechanics, it could have unintended issues.  So if there are edible growth-bearing trees in some forest that would normally get elves (or whatever elf-like race), then something didn't work out.  There's also the larger issue of giving them some kind of "common_domestic" tree to compensate or something.

Quote from: smjjames
What are these two errors? Never seen these before.
Civ Zone Kitchen 5959: Null Unit Assignment (Id 28978)
Civ Zone Captive Room 5960: Null Unit Assignment (Id 28978)

Looks like a night troll lair where it couldn't load a prisoner or one of the trolls.  Could have a variety of causes, but I'm not aware of a specific known culprit at this point.

Quote from: HugoLuman
Do worldgen population limits (MAX_POP_NUMBER, etc.) affect expansion post-worldgen, or can a civ theoretically expand to populate the entire world? If the hard cap is still in effect, what happens to player created units (starting 7 and adventurers) over the entity population cap?

It uses the TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION number to prevent births, across civs, but it doesn't look like it uses MAX_POP_NUMBER to control individual civs.  The global cap is only used for births set up away from the fort, and doesn't affect the starting units.

Quote from: Archereon
While I recall that roads aren't built and megabeast attacks don't occur after world-gen (outside of fortress mode) as well, that doesn't seem to destabilize things nearly as much as the goblin blitzkrieg. If it's not something that will happen for a long, long time (not until the next major version), is there any possibility that a sort of stopgag might be put in so that post-worldgen invasions can have diverse outcomes, even if it's just a population based dice roll?

Knight Otu answered another question about this with a twitter quote where I said even coin flips would be difficult, and it is tricky to do -- the armies already break up into little squads and go to different parts of town and all that when you are in the mid-level zoom, and that sort of thing leads to a variety of hassles with determining the outcome.  I'm not sure what the progression is going to be, but it won't be a quick fix situation.

Quote from: Quietust
Why does Dwarf Fortress stop CMV recording once the file size exceeds 5 million bytes? Was there originally some reason behind that limitation?

It would be a strong statement to say there was a reason for it, even if I could remember it now.  I'm assuming the original ~2005 implemention was just in single buffer that got dumped after the movie was fully recorded, and I set aside 5 million bytes for it.  I have no idea what twisted logic informed the retention of the limit, or if I just didn't think about it.  As for now, I can't think of a reason to keep it.  I'm not sure if the movie upload site is still in use or if it has a movie size limit of its own.

Quote from: Novel Scoops
Will you go on a pub crawl to research the tavern arc? How do you generally research, come to that?

It depends on the subject.  I have lots of books, and there's also the internet.  I don't have a specific process.  For taverns, I have a modest amount of personal experience, and there's lots of other stuff out there online and in a few books I have laying around to round it out.

Quote from: FoiledFencer
With pulping, it seems like there are lots of injuries that are not easily sorted with a splint and some stitches - are there any plans to incorporate amputation of mangled limbs? Thanks for the great work!

I don't have a specific plan, but lots of amputations were bound to happen something or another.

Quote from: Novel Scoops
How do you envision conversation?

There are lots of things to improve about the current system, but now that it has been pulled out of its own mode and put in with the rest of the actions it seems a little more like we want it to be.  Lots of challenges -- managing the text of lots of people talking at once, giving people distinct "voices" based on culture/personality/mannerisms/etc., having your own voice/tone/registers/etc., managing more and more possible questions you'd want to ask without it being impossible to find the options, etc.  I don't have clear solutions to all of those problems, just thoughts and ideas and so on.

Quote from: Zarathustra30
What are the 119 emotions?

People have a guessing thread now, so we'll have to wait!

Quote from: smjjames
Will we get to peek in on the conversations of our dwarves in fort mode? You know, see Urist McFuturedad on his pregnant wife and future child, see the soldiers comment on the slaying of the FB or be concerned about injured comrades, see our dwarves pay thier respects to the dead, grumble about the shortage of copper, etc.

Edit: Oh, will the 119 emotions also be applied to the other races and be visible in adventure mode?

There's an issue with having many conversations at once and keeping FPS up (since it has to search the world and other such things when they discuss rumors and so on).  So it'd have to generate them when you look at them, and that'd probably cause some temporal problems.  They do have those emotional outbursts, since those aren't FPS heavy, and most other things can probably be brought over.  We were toying around with the idea of having the new "thought paragraph" be a series of utterances, but we ended up going with a more standard format, at least for the time being.

The emotion system actually started in adventure mode and applies to everybody -- a lot of the new circumstances are restricted to dwarf mode for the time being though, just because more is going on there and the thoughts I converted were originally set up with dwarf mode in mind.

Quote from: Fieari
Do each of the emotions have a distinct in game effect, aside from just a note on the dwarf information screen?

Will grief mean more than appreciation of art now?

Will dwarves become acclimated to splendor, and no longer be brought to tears in awe at their masterwork dining room after eating there all their lives?  On the flip side, if they lose said legendary diningroom and then have to deal with lesser quality, will they see it as a major loss, or still as an "okay" diningroom?
Quote from: Urist McDepravity
Does this mean there's no "positive excitement" (like joy of giving birth, which should be neither "stable" nor "stressed") status anymore?

Distinct is certainly a strong word at this early juncture, and there are a few that currently mark a passing up of a potential flip-out that probably shouldn't have a noticeable effect by design (other than something extreme not happening).  There aren't really secondary effects either -- having grouch-prone people causing irritation in irritable people when they talk to them, but only while actually grouchy, would be the sort of thing that's now in reach.  I'd expect these first-pass emotions to be a touch more interesting than the up/down of previous thoughts, meaning that there'll be some new quirks and melt-downs and a great deal more variety in who is experiencing general stress trouble and how much.  They don't perform whole new interesting behaviors for each emotion or anything like that, and aside from the time it takes to add, that sort of thing is tricky since we want dwarves to simply labor a lot of the time.  There's a lot to do just with the secondary dwarf-to-dwarf interactions though and other smaller changes that should be pretty interesting.

The personality change/shifting standards/acclimation question has been sitting on the table for a long while, but I haven't much with it yet -- we did do that thing with dwarves getting tired of specific food/drink types, and a few other individual counters, though having dwarves get tired of craftsdwarfship would be a sad, angsty thing.  General changes in personality have to be approached more carefully, and I'm not sure when we'll try to actually shift a facet.  It happens a lot in real life (just growing up mostly, though kids should start with way more out of whack facets), but facet changes need to occur through a clear process so it isn't mushy and confusing and character-killing, especially since we are using the emotions in part to more clearly establish the dwarves as distinct characters.

The old positive happiness status was just a sum of thought +/- values added to owned possessions, and it didn't do anything aside from indicating that your dwarf wasn't in danger of throwing a tantrum or worse.  In that way, all of the new positive emotions indicate this sort of "positive state" with more clarity and with some diversity respecting the dwarf, and as secondary effects are added, it'll fully justify the change.

Quote from: Robsoie
Is this going to work in Adventure mode too so we can finally get something else than "it was inevitable" in answer to incredible adventure feats ?

What I'm doing is only marginally related to that -- "it was inevitable" doesn't come from the emotion system, but rather a "rational" response to information/opinion/rumor you are passing along that they don't have a reply for.  Some of the converted thoughts will probably show up in adventure mode (I'm not sure which ones), but I haven't yet broadened my scope beyond the dwarf thought update I've been doing.

Quote from: Sizik
How many of the emotions are ones that have long German names that have no equivalent in English?

He he he, I think they are all more or less regular English words.  I was considering how I might handle that language/culture specific situation back when I was thinking about how language generation might work...  it would be cool to have some kind of procedural emotion word creator when we get to languages, say.  Then certain circumstances could make certain civ creatures feel something others wouldn't be able to conceptualize, or something.  The "many words for snow" situation is related as well, and a sort of cliche that should be fully explored for our tacky fantasy generator.  But that's all backburner speculation.

Quote from: CLA
Whatever happened to these composite footprint images?

I assume they got scrapped because it would have been too much work to research and integrate footprints for every creature, but is that still planned to be added in the far future?
I'd say that's great opportunity for the community to collect some data and transform it in a meaningful format.

Yeah, it was partially the time, and partially that we weren't sure about them overall...  for graphics, it's the sort of thing we'd like, since they are fun and educational and stuff, but it makes the bar for modding in creatures higher in a new and different way.  I still have the little program that changes images into ASCII footprint thingies, but I'm not sure I'll be starting up on that any time soon.

Quote from: Valtam
how are living encampments and search posses going to be implemented in the current frame? Right now tents are just fancy backdrops for either unjustified murder or meaningless, one-sided interactions, what with their occupants being always asleep.

Yeah, it ended up poorly -- tents became trouble during development, and I'm still not sure how to have them packed up and so on while armies don't even have equipment.  Many armies just don't stop and hang out during the day -- they only stop and instantly sleep, so it is a weird setup.  There are guards in the camp that wander around at night, so it shouldn't be utterly one-sided.  I'm not sure what's going to happen, but a lot more work needs to be done with army movements and intent and supplies and messengers and all that.

The search posses themselves would be easier to fix.  I've seen posses in towns during testing, but I don't think the camps can do them despite what I had hoped for.  And they are just an army on the map, so it'd be good luck to even notice that a town was hunting you.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 01, 2014, 12:01:08 am »

Thanks, Toady!
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Button

• Bay Watcher
  • Plants Specialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 01, 2014, 12:09:02 am »

Quote from: Zarathustra30
What are the 119 emotions?

People have a guessing thread now, so we'll have to wait!

Please don't keep silent on the guessing thread's account. I'd rather not bear the forum's wrath for delaying the news.
I used to work on Modest Mod and Plant Fixes.

Always assume I'm not seriously back

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 01, 2014, 12:35:30 am »

He did this when we were guessing the version number for 0.40.01, heh. We're going to find out eventually, so no harm done.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 01, 2014, 06:13:40 am »

Quote from: Sizik
How many of the emotions are ones that have long German names that have no equivalent in English?

He he he, I think they are all more or less regular English words.  I was considering how I might handle that language/culture specific situation back when I was thinking about how language generation might work...  it would be cool to have some kind of procedural emotion word creator when we get to languages, say.  Then certain circumstances could make certain civ creatures feel something others wouldn't be able to conceptualize, or something.  The "many words for snow" situation is related as well, and a sort of cliche that should be fully explored for our tacky fantasy generator.  But that's all backburner speculation.

Only Germans experience schadenfreude, zeitgeist or zugzwang! They also have 11 words for philosopher and 8 for psychologist! (someone who knows German back me up please)
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 01, 2014, 07:23:28 am »

Excellent. Thanks for the answers oh great Toady!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 01, 2014, 09:05:27 am »

Thanks, Toady!

Only Germans experience schadenfreude, zeitgeist or zugzwang! They also have 11 words for philosopher and 8 for psychologist! (someone who knows German back me up please)
Philosoph, Denker, Dummquatscher, Dummschwätzer... nope, can't get to 11, and I cheated. :P
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 01, 2014, 09:25:48 am »

Hm, I speak (swiss-)german fluently, but I have just one Word for Philosopher and a few more for Psychogolist, all rather colloquial, though.
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 306