Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842254 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2014, 10:32:07 pm »

It seemed like my misunderstanding was thinking that concubinage was more consensual that it appears to be. Shows you what you get for thinking in the abstract sometimes :) (my working definition was just "institutionalized affairs for the powerful", without any of the typical context).

Hmm, for some cultures, the English word concubine (as it would be translated) actually denotes a highly respected position for someone who would otherwise be low status. I think in some Asian cultures these women were supposed to help bear heirs for the king, and they lived very well compared to their non-concubine peers. Probably not strictly consensual, but monarchy is often a situation where 'everyone' was basically a slave to the monarch, no matter who you were.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2014, 10:40:10 pm »

iirc, the concubines in MWDF were designated as "Pets", which was alarmingly implying of slavery.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2014, 11:36:16 pm »

Thank you for the quick reply! :-)
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2014, 01:55:15 am »

Thank you for the answers Toady!

The werecreatures would be fun if after a rampage you had to discover the responsible by tracking it back to his home, in case you weren't present at the moment.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2014, 02:10:20 am »

The elves should definitely be changed now.  It would be funny if they singled out specific old trees or parts of the map.

That would be neat, I can see an elf diplomat adopting a tree, giving it a name like the ones in their sites, and holding your fort responsible if it gets felled.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2014, 06:06:50 am »

It seemed like my misunderstanding was thinking that concubinage was more consensual that it appears to be. Shows you what you get for thinking in the abstract sometimes :) (my working definition was just "institutionalized affairs for the powerful", without any of the typical context).

Hmm, for some cultures, the English word concubine (as it would be translated) actually denotes a highly respected position for someone who would otherwise be low status. I think in some Asian cultures these women were supposed to help bear heirs for the king, and they lived very well compared to their non-concubine peers. Probably not strictly consensual, but monarchy is often a situation where 'everyone' was basically a slave to the monarch, no matter who you were.

It's the broader term in general, which is why I picked it over "mistress" originally despite the usual negative connotations (like how "witch" is usually negative... except when it's not). Then again, I also mentioned blood brothers as another ancient relationship status, and somehow we're not talking about that. So I don't understand my own derail and... yeah, I should probably shut up and go to work, heh heh. 8^)

[ETA:] Actually, I have an on-topic question! Is it a bug that kobolds steal from vaults, or are they really that badass?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:20:41 am by Cobbler89 »
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2014, 07:18:06 am »

The elves should definitely be changed now.  It would be funny if they singled out specific old trees or parts of the map.

That would be neat, I can see an elf diplomat adopting a tree, giving it a name like the ones in their sites, and holding your fort responsible if it gets felled.
I've seen some named trees in 0.40.01 so I think that it may partially be implemented already, but don't quote me on that.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2014, 07:22:36 am »

If, when break-ups and so on are added to the relationship code, DF ends up like a reality show, that could be for the best.
Day 10 in the Big Brother Fortress. Urist is in the magma forge.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2014, 11:33:31 am »

Quote from: Puzzlemaker
Do migrating armies show up in fortress mode?  Is it possible to create a fortress that intercepts any armies heading towards your civilization?
What if you make a natural blockade, and the only way through is through your fort?  I set up a map like that, I haven't gotten around to testing it though.  (map)  There is a spot you can build that's a landbridge between the goblin and dwarf civilizations, the only way through.  Would the game just crash, or would they just magically phase through?

If I remember, they phase.  It was easier to handle the pathing/connectivity AI that way.  Ideally, you'd be fully a part of the world.  The only real problems I recall with that is the game-related one of early difficult attacks, and having the AI consider your intervening existence (they don't think much about intervening sites now because there are no battles).  Maybe people should just have to eat those attacks now.  The armies do lose time entering your fort's time warp, but that's not a huge deal if they are just crossing the space and exiting the other side.
I am perfectly ALL for having to deal with armies crossing your fortress site early on. It's realistic and it means you really, really don't want to pick a road or major highway as a site for your fortress, unless you think you can bunker down quickly. It also means that safer areas will be near the mountainhome - just build near there, and you'll often get dwarves that pass through on happenstance that can help save your fortress.

Thanks for the answers, Toady! :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2014, 12:01:49 pm »

I'm kinda hoping that's a scenario that will pop up when we get starting scenarios; "Build a fort at Tarwin's Gap; there's no strategic resources or anything of note, it's just the route the goblins use when they come to siege us. Be in their way."

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2014, 12:30:56 pm »

I'm kinda hoping that's a scenario that will pop up when we get starting scenarios; "Build a fort at Tarwin's Gap; there's no strategic resources or anything of note, it's just the route the goblins use when they come to siege us. Be in their way."
And instead of pathing into your fort, they try to go past it while you intercept them!
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2014, 06:42:30 pm »

will a race (like goblins for example) be utterly terrified of you if you were to kill hundreds/thousands of them? and would they be scared of a weapon used to kill many of there kind?
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2014, 06:47:46 pm »

will a race (like goblins for example) be utterly terrified of you if you were to kill hundreds/thousands of them?
I believe that ties in with reputation and kills - you can boast about your kills, so I think it's safe to say there's eventually going to be a good reason to do so.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2014, 07:10:00 pm »

I am perfectly ALL for having to deal with armies crossing your fortress site early on. It's realistic and it means you really, really don't want to pick a road or major highway as a site for your fortress, unless you think you can bunker down quickly. It also means that safer areas will be near the mountainhome - just build near there, and you'll often get dwarves that pass through on happenstance that can help save your fortress.

Which actually reminds me,

Would embarking in, say, the same joyous forest that an elven civ has settled in, eventually be considered a breach of territorial claims and trigger hostility, and therefore a Very Bad Idea? What if the settlement is fairly far from the nearest forest retreat, hamlet etc.? How would territories and boundaries of civs in general work, while balancing out the gameplay? (since people might not examine every civ in legends mode and see which region is safe to colonise)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2014, 09:03:42 pm »

Would embarking in, say, the same joyous forest that an elven civ has settled in, eventually be considered a breach of territorial claims and trigger hostility, and therefore a Very Bad Idea? What if the settlement is fairly far from the nearest forest retreat, hamlet etc.? How would territories and boundaries of civs in general work, while balancing out the gameplay? (since people might not examine every civ in legends mode and see which region is safe to colonise)

When civilizations get recognizable borders, how will we recognize them?  Will we be prevented from embarking in anyone else's territory, or at least anyone we're not at war with?  I suspect national borders will be something more nuanced that claiming entire biomes.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 306