Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1841168 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #855 on: December 02, 2014, 01:39:55 pm »

Quote from: smjjames
Is the 'empty announcement 130' in relation to the sleeping army an intentional one for now because they section is incomplete?

Regarding the 'empty announcement 205', sure I can make a bug report for the empty announcement errors if that's what you mean. Can't supply a save because it's uncommon and unlike the 130 one, theres no consistent place that it happens. I have a suspicion though.

These are likely newish bugs related to the announcement rewrite -- just having the number is enough to fix the error.  They can be intermittent or otherwise hard to pin down, but that usually all comes from a simple typo around where the announcement is posted and hopefully I can just eyeball them all.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 02, 2014, 01:47:19 pm »

Quote from: smjjames
Is the 'empty announcement 130' in relation to the sleeping army an intentional one for now because they section is incomplete?

Regarding the 'empty announcement 205', sure I can make a bug report for the empty announcement errors if that's what you mean. Can't supply a save because it's uncommon and unlike the 130 one, theres no consistent place that it happens. I have a suspicion though.

These are likely newish bugs related to the announcement rewrite -- just having the number is enough to fix the error.  They can be intermittent or otherwise hard to pin down, but that usually all comes from a simple typo around where the announcement is posted and hopefully I can just eyeball them all.

Okay then. Edit: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8596

@smeeprocket: Beached whale probably, and the fisherdwarf just happened to get tasked to haul it.

Anyways, a sort of errorlog related query for you guys, I'm noticing that this save I have is generating lots of (20+) 'succession traveller out of bounds' errors while in the calendar screen. I haven't seen it do that before, and I'm thinking of making a bug report. However, that's the only thing to the bug, so I'm not sure if it's worthy of a bug report, then again, it could be indicative of some other problem. This is after my adventurer died, so it's not a fresh new game.

Not to mention that it's rather vague, like a 'theres this odd thing happening', and I have no idea how useful it would be to Toady One. It also happens when starting a new fort.

Edit: I think I'll just keep an eye on the save.

Just an update on this one. Apparently it's a symptom of this bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8582 . I can't continue that game because it always crashes.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:56:07 pm by smjjames »

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 03, 2014, 05:39:22 pm »

Quote from: Ispil

How much do we have to donate to have you do a guitar piece per season?

It's hard to set aside enough time to feel like I can do a decent job with any of that these days.

.. Did Toady personally play the guitar piece thats packaged with the game? :O If so, amazing!! Also, sorry about my mangled use of the quote function..

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: December 03, 2014, 05:48:17 pm »

Yeah, both of 'em.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 06, 2014, 09:39:39 pm »

If I read the update right, here's hoping we get a lot more useful dwarves in migrant waves via job and resource info passed on through the liaison, especially during the early years when miners and masons are way more appreciated than say, glassmakers, cheesemakers, or strand extractors...

crapabear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: December 06, 2014, 11:02:38 pm »

Do you think the tavern/inn release is going to end up requiring a full-scale resurrection of fortress economy? We'll be able to set the prices of drinks and rooms, but what use will we have for all the worthless coins(?) we collect from our guests?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: December 06, 2014, 11:05:50 pm »

Do you think the tavern/inn release is going to end up requiring a full-scale resurrection of fortress economy? We'll be able to set the prices of drinks and rooms, but what use will we have for all the worthless coins(?) we collect from our guests?

Threetoe:   So the next question is from Matthew, and he asks, "Is there any chance of seeing a return of the dwarven economy any time soon?"
Toady:   The things that we're working on with the start scenarios, as we may have mentioned before, are linked in to adding information about property and laws. That should get us positioned to really put that stuff back in. We had problems with not having the armies moving around made it impossible to do caravans properly. And we didn't really have any good information on who owned what and that kind of thing. So we've been working on it framework-wise all this time, and hopefully, once the start scenarios are complete, we'll be in a good position to make decisions about where we are with that. Whether it's going to be working straight in on trading stuff or continuing to come at it obliquely.
Threetoe:   Like the thief arc, say?
Toady:   Yeah, that kind of thing.

Toady: So you're going to have the ability in your fortress to lay out several rooms. Rooms for people to sleep, meeting-hall-type places, some storerooms, that make up an inn or tavern, for people to come. They'll come at first just because they can. Your guests will be people like merchants, diplomats, adventurers, mercenaries, other travelers, and your dwarves will also be able to go. And the thing that you'll be able to do there... You'll be able to serve them drinks, for instance, you can sell them... We're not going for... We don't have the economy stuff yet, so we're not going for sort of full tycoon mode with spreadsheets...
Threetoe:   Yeah it wouldn't exactly make any financial sense to do this, but it's just for fun.
Toady:   Yeah, and it'll make more sense later, based on start scenarios and later when we do the economic work. Right now, we're just messing around. One of the big things that'll come out of this is... Remember back... When was that meetup? Was it like 2007/8?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: December 06, 2014, 11:55:34 pm »

but what use will we have for all the worthless coins(?) we collect from our guests?

Melt them down maybe?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: December 07, 2014, 02:20:18 am »

Hire mercenaries, perhaps?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: December 07, 2014, 03:06:18 pm »

Hire mercenaries, perhaps?

I suspect that when quest givers in adventure mode start being able to give monetary rewards, adventurers and fortresses will be able to hire mercenaries.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: December 07, 2014, 03:18:15 pm »

I would like to know what sites belong to what civ in adventure mode. sometimes it seems like no one knows whats going on

you find some guys in a tent, assume there in an army.

they wont tell you who sent them, there civ, there group, there target, there reason. all they say is "im on an important mission" I want to claim a site for my civ and then eradicate the other civ, I want to know who sent that guy to my site(who failed to do much of anything) I want to interrogate him instead of talking to him before he gets to scare and stops yielding to run. ect,ect.

but I still want magic the most, magic, then  inns and taverns,(and all related things like music and toys and multi-racial forts, we already have them in world gen we need them in player) I want to be able to enslave invaders (after moding the ethics to allow that and of course the !!fun!! from the uprisings)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: December 07, 2014, 05:14:08 pm »

I suspect that the 'I'm on an important mission' is a placeholder. Sure there will be a couple times when they don't want to tell you, but it's used way too often IMO.

As for knowing which sites belong to who, you can just ask about the local ruler. You can get more info from legends viewer though.

I feel the same way about there not being enough information oftentimes and it's difficult to get info as to whats going on. Plus theres lots of things I'd like to ask but can't.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: December 07, 2014, 07:47:31 pm »

asking who the local ruler is wont tell you who the overall ruler is.

assume I am part of a civ called
the gates of distruction

and we have 3 towns

town one has a site government by the name of fatefulwealth

town two has silentgleam

and my starting town called town 3 has bloodswords

now assume there is another civ called lostbones

there towns are ruled by the following site governments.

watercrushed

the seeds of birth

and

forestgleam

now when starting I have no idea what sites belong to what overall ruler only the local rulers

if i wanted to form a site government and over take the old one in THE OTHER CIV i would have know idea what towns were in my civ and what towns were the other civ, so im likely to attack my own in the in the confusion

THAT DRIVES ME INSANE!
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: December 07, 2014, 07:59:31 pm »

Use legends viewer then, really helps.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 306