Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1839622 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2014, 09:12:20 pm »

You can already filter the dialogue list: each question has a couple of keywords, and if you type those in at any moment during perusing the dialogue list, you can filter the list.
Problem is, you can't filter by creature type. for example, if you forget the name of a titan, you can't filter by "titan" and find it out.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2014, 09:47:37 pm »

You can already filter the dialogue list: each question has a couple of keywords, and if you type those in at any moment during perusing the dialogue list, you can filter the list.
Problem is, you can't filter by creature type. for example, if you forget the name of a titan, you can't filter by "titan" and find it out.

Also can't filter the conflict summaries by the names of anyone involved.  There's lots of deficiences, but I think they'll get sorted out soon enough.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2014, 01:37:57 am »

Also can't filter the conflict summaries by the names of anyone involved.  There's lots of deficiences, but I think they'll get sorted out soon enough.

Yes, the filter isn't working. And every animal you see generate an event as if it was attacking you (even if it doesn't), so finding the relevant event is really difficult.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2014, 02:53:59 pm »

Saw this in the old thread:
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Valtam
Toady, is it possible to bring a dead body (say, from the wilderness) inside a fortress and memorialize it? Or does it need to be part of the fortress history to do so?

So like, bringing a dead body from faraway, dropping it in a fort, retiring, and then assuming control of the fort with the body there?  Hmmm...  I have no idea.  I don't remember what comes along for the ride to maintain the identity of the body, and if that's the same stuff used in the memorial list (or if the memorial list relise on the unit-in-play list).
I tried something like that in 34.07 and it didn't work:
I had 3 types of corpses at an embark site, a dwarf adventurer who had starved on site, some dwarfs he had killed elsewhere and some dwarf corpses found in lairs (from worldgen). None of them showed up in the unit list, I couldn't memorialize them or assign tombs to them. The dwarfs would not bury them, and they actually put the corpses and body parts in the refuse pile, not the corpse pile.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2014, 04:19:16 pm »

And every animal you see generate an event as if it was attacking you (even if it doesn't), so finding the relevant event is really difficult.
You can however simulate being complete mad by standing in the town square and shouting about the raven that attacked you last week :D
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2014, 10:10:54 am »

Just out of curiosity, what does this error set in the errorlog mean?
Code: [Select]
go baby!
 usz: 0
post baby
post clean

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2014, 10:31:45 am »

go baby!
post baby
post clean

I believe it was some leftover test code related to this bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6571.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2014, 10:32:11 am »

go baby!
post baby
post clean

He he he, yeah, I left some baby test code in by accident.  go baby! = enter the scheduled birth function, post baby = after babies are born, post clean = after it puts them away in their historical spots.  the usz is the number of units in play at the time.  We want the first number and the last number to be the same, except perhaps in weird edge cases.  I'll try to remember to take it out for next time...

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2014, 04:23:26 pm »

Sorry if you already answered this;

I like the new possibility to grab/block/paarry enemy attack while they're attacking. However, if somebody tries a punch, a scratch or a kick, I can't know which hand/foot they're using.
I really like to grab somebody's hand mid-punch, twist it and break it (I managed to do it one or two times), but it's always a blind guess, because in the attack screen it only says "attacks with punch" or similar. There's the risk of trying to block a right punch grabbing the left hand and looking like an idiot...
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2014, 04:48:31 pm »

(if you increase your situational awareness, it gives more information)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2014, 04:52:30 pm »

Wait, is it situational awareness (the mental attribute), observer (the skill) or some odd combination of both?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2014, 04:59:58 pm »

Ah, hmmm...  this is the problem with having the constants in the code have different names from those displayed.  The skill Observer.  I don't the situational awareness attribute -- the relevant attributes are Spatial Sense, Focus and Intuition.

edit: from a code search, "SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS" in the raws always maps to the observer skill (and OBSERVER/OBSERVATION don't map to anything).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:01:44 pm by Toady One »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2014, 05:01:38 pm »

To be fair, I was confused too--SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS is actually the name of the observer skill in the raws and not a mental attribute.

EDIT: ninja'd

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2014, 05:03:18 pm »

Your post was 6 seconds before my edit.  I think I was ninja'd.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2014, 05:18:35 pm »

Let's just say that this was all some confusion on at least two levels, ha.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 306