Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1839147 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #900 on: December 10, 2014, 05:48:16 pm »

12/06/2014Toady One It's all proceeding along. There are lots of special cases that were optimized in this way or that way over the years that I don't want to make any worse in the new system. When I got to rescheduling mining designations, I figured I wouldn't burn time on an additional rewrite, so I'm going to go ahead with the numeric digging prioritization system as well. There'll probably be 7 levels and a marker designation to start.

will this make dwarfs stop mineing pits in such a way they fall in and die? I have never even made an effective pit trap thanks to this little quirk,
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: December 10, 2014, 06:06:49 pm »

12/06/2014Toady One It's all proceeding along. There are lots of special cases that were optimized in this way or that way over the years that I don't want to make any worse in the new system. When I got to rescheduling mining designations, I figured I wouldn't burn time on an additional rewrite, so I'm going to go ahead with the numeric digging prioritization system as well. There'll probably be 7 levels and a marker designation to start.

will this make dwarfs stop mineing pits in such a way they fall in and die? I have never even made an effective pit trap thanks to this little quirk,

That has nothing to do with job priorities though. Might help somewhat.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 10, 2014, 06:23:26 pm »

I though each designated tile was basically its own job.  That way a team of three miners can efficiently mine out half of five different rooms then go on break in unison.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 10, 2014, 06:49:10 pm »

Do dwarves (in Fortress mode) ever change their gait?

Yes. Whenever they flee, they run or sprint. You can tell because they start moving faster than normal.
That combined with agility increase of vampires makes them almost impossible to catch without abusing stealth.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 10, 2014, 07:56:50 pm »

I though each designated tile was basically its own job.  That way a team of three miners can efficiently mine out half of five different rooms then go on break in unison.

We'll just have to see what effect the job priority rewrite has on this. The problem is not that they channel next to each other, it's that they'll stand on a tile that's in the proccess of being channeled.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 10, 2014, 08:04:09 pm »

We'll just have to see what effect the job priority rewrite has on this. The problem is not that they channel next to each other, it's that they'll stand on a tile that's in the proccess of being channeled.
Basically this

but with a beard.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 10, 2014, 08:47:48 pm »

Just a few moments ago my legendary miner, founding member and beloved mayor died a rather shameful death for a miner. While channeling she not only stood on the very same tile being channeled, no, with her there was also a granite boulder that promptly crushed her to legendary miner juice with natural pulp as soon she finished channeling the darn tile.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 07:04:13 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 10, 2014, 10:48:45 pm »

It has just been stuff like...  why isn't he mining...  why isn't he mining...  oh there he goes...  why did he leave those two squares?  I have no idea (5 tests and changes later)...  didn't leave any this time...  try one more time...  left two squares...  oh I think I have it...  now he isn't mining again...  why did you mine there instead of there?  Oh < is not >...  okay it looks like it works now...  but the marker designation looks bad...  there now it is better...  it's 3 already?  I should eat...  wait, where did that designation go?  it disappeared...  I have to fix that first...  okay it works now...  let me try to toggle the markers...  why don't they mine...  he isn't mining...  oh, whoops...  okay...  he mined half...  why did he mine half?  oh it was the hauling jobs clearing wrong...  okay he mined out the rooms...  now let's see if smoothing works...

I have had so many days like this. If you've ever tried to program your own game or application you eventually come across this problem that's so aggravating that you forget to eat and completely lose track of time.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 10, 2014, 11:54:43 pm »

I have had so many days like this. If you've ever tried to program your own game or application you eventually come across this problem that's so aggravating that you forget to eat and completely lose track of time.
It's not just programing. I've had this happen when drawing, when doing physics tests, when doing chemistry puzzles, etc. All the arts and sciences, if they present something challenging/frustrating enough, can cause you to lose time. Er... lose track of time. Even READING can do it.

I... don't eat often when left to my own devices.

But programing is, of course, especially well suited for this kind of situation.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 11, 2014, 02:53:13 am »

That is so true.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: December 11, 2014, 05:06:44 am »

They are, but the issue isn't with job designation or path finding. The issue is the dorfs understanding context, and understanding the future of their actions.

The dorfs right now, cannot foresee that digging away A will mean they'll fall to their doom. And can be a quite a hard problem to solve. I would imagine that dorfs still dig the top left corner (and I think lowest) portion first, after they've respected this new designation system.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: December 11, 2014, 07:13:41 am »

Right now they still do the most northwest tile in the designation and from there they go (unless I have failed to see otherwise).

From what I gather dwarven logic will be the same. It's just that YOU (the player) will be able to assign priorities to the designations so you can control what is done first after moving to the next layer of work and so on. This way if you order channeling trough 3 levels you put the higher priority on the first one, the second most higher to the second one and the third to the third one, so they don't channel the second floor first, then the third and then the first falling two levels. Also it would seem that until ALL work from one priority is done the work on anything of the following priority will be on hold.

In shot, you are in charge of providing the dwarves as safe work environment... poor dwarves.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 11, 2014, 10:58:28 am »

The seven priority levels and this: Somebody asked for the marker designation to be toggle-able and independent of the priority numbers, and that all works now -- so you can plan out several sections and then turn them on as needed. opens up the way for laying down a blueprint at the beginning and then working through it in phases.

Are there plans to integrate smoothing/fortification carving/engraving into this in any way? That is will we now be able to say, "Priority 1 dig this bit, priority 2 smooth this bit, priority 3 carve fortifications here."? That is, designations overlapping in space (but not in phases/time).
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: December 11, 2014, 11:39:19 am »

Um, the next version with the job priorities will be save compatible with 40.19, right?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: December 11, 2014, 11:56:51 am »

Um, the next version with the job priorities will be save compatible with 40.19, right?
I don't see why it wouldn't be. Right now, it seems to me that you'd just need to convert designations into priority 1 designations for compatibility, populate whatever mechanism holds the "help wanted ads" with the unassigned jobs, and let already assigned jobs run their course. I think save breaking stuff will happen in the three other sections, but job priorities will likely be fine.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 306