Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842340 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #915 on: December 11, 2014, 06:35:02 pm »

I'm surprised that vein mining is getting implemented before multi-Z-level deposits -- seems like it'll necessitate a rewrite.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: December 11, 2014, 09:33:18 pm »

I'm surprised that vein mining is getting implemented before multi-Z-level deposits -- seems like it'll necessitate a rewrite.

Toady is probably going to do a geology rewrite in the future; he probably wants it to be more robust for when he starts doing ravines, canyons, steeper mountains, and other geological features that he talked about a lot in recent DF Talks, but that's a very deep rabbit hole. Assuming he made these tiered designations work in the third dimension, he (probably) won't need to rewrite it when he gets to the better mineral veins in the near future.

GavJ has these really cool pictures of better three-dimensional geology...
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 12, 2014, 12:45:08 am »

Actually, it could just be something like the DFhack designation tool where you can designate a whole vein for mining. Granted it designates the WHOLE thing, even parts you don't see. So, it could just be a designation that says 'mine out this vein'.

If anything, the only rewrite would have to do with the pathing and digging out accross z levels.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: December 12, 2014, 07:34:52 am »

Actually, it could just be something like the DFhack designation tool where you can designate a whole vein for mining. Granted it designates the WHOLE thing, even parts you don't see. So, it could just be a designation that says 'mine out this vein'.

If anything, the only rewrite would have to do with the pathing and digging out accross z levels.

I think Fookercheif is talking about having veins go across multiple z levels.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: December 12, 2014, 01:51:53 pm »

Why is there a 2x2 minimum embark size limit?

I know I heard mention of this before in DFTalk or one of these threads, but searching has failed me.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: December 12, 2014, 03:17:56 pm »

Why is there a 2x2 minimum embark size limit?

I know I heard mention of this before in DFTalk or one of these threads, but searching has failed me.

I am very interested in this too!
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: December 12, 2014, 03:49:51 pm »

It could also be as simple as "dig out this tile and designate any adjacent tiles of the same material with this same include-adjacent style of designation."

Just be careful with layer stones!
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: December 12, 2014, 11:46:46 pm »

It could also be as simple as "dig out this tile and designate any adjacent tiles of the same material with this same include-adjacent style of designation."

Just be careful with layer stones!

I can see it now: "Dig out this chunk of diorite." "The entire cavern has collapsed!"
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: December 14, 2014, 11:40:41 am »

I'm so excited for the new job system.  Been playing my fort with about 70 dwarves once or twice a week and I keep forgetting what labors are set up properly and which are temporary and it is a horrible mess.  Well I guess my forts have always been that way, but the way the new system sounds like it's going to work seems like the way I've always wanted/expected it to work.  So, excited.   :D
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: December 14, 2014, 12:58:11 pm »

Eee. I really want to start up the first fort for 40.xx, but with new stuff keep coming, I just feel like waiting more, lol. Dangit, XD

Maybe I'll just have to force myself to get into it, I dunno, lol.

Or maybe I'm just waiting for this job priority rewrite.

No pressure on you though Toady One.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:23:41 pm by smjjames »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: December 15, 2014, 02:25:12 am »

Heh yeah I eventually just buckled and had to play.  Would be cool if the Scamps code could have been cleaned up to make it in.

When adding new features/screens to the game, control wise do you have a scheme you are following that will be consistent with the future rewrite, or are the controls decided upon without an eye to the future because you know the UI rewrite is coming?

Maybe this was asked before or maybe it's not clear... It's just that even after playing for years the other night I hit a wall with the stocks kitchen screen and it took me a minute to work out to tab between screens.  I guess that's consistent with the civ screen, and I was tired and inebriated, but it raised that Q in my mind.  edit - would like to add that playing DF at speed is, currently, a pretty good form of mental gymnastics... I'm constantly aware of having to switch control schemes for different menus and mentally traverse esoteric hotkey menus, and I hope that in the future when everything is consistent someone recreates the old-school control scheme so it'll still be possible to experience that feeling.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:45:07 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: December 15, 2014, 06:17:32 am »

How many questions am I allowed to ask Toady at once? I have a lot of somewhat interrelated questions mostly pertaining to culture and the way in which it's generated.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: December 15, 2014, 06:24:03 am »

Go for it. You probably have a fair number of questions that the community can answer. And the community will probably catch those, and ToadyOne will devote less time to those questions.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: December 15, 2014, 11:26:29 am »

What was Scamps code?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:30 am »

I was about to ask it, too. I suppose he didn't make too much syntax error :)
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 306