Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834359 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Future of the Fortress
« on: July 13, 2014, 07:34:43 pm »

Development log
Development page

The purpose of the thread is to discuss current developments.  Specific bugs should be reported on the bug tracker, and specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.  Questions and comments about the development page or DF development somewhat more broadly work here, though any contentious topics that lead to derails are discouraged -- there are threads for those too.

If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them all, although it is difficult to respond to everything when it is busy.  I'll lean toward questions that involve current developments to avoid pulling the entire suggestion forum in here.  In the past, we've all found the practice of making questions limegreen works pretty well.  You do that like this:
Code: [Select]
[color=limegreen]making questions limegreen[/color]

Here is the last reply from the last thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100851.msg5470695#msg5470695

The current plan is to continue on with bug-fixing for the next long while.  We're still deciding exactly how we'll proceed after that (the link just above has some discussion of job priorities in the first response).  We'll update the dev page when more is settled.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 07:37:36 pm »

PTW

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 07:54:33 pm »

What's the difference between lethal combat and no-quarter combat?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 07:57:11 pm »

Lethal combat means swords have been drawn and the fight can result in serious injury or death, but surrender is an option. No quarter means no surrender.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 08:01:27 pm »

Lethal combat means swords have been drawn and the fight can result in serious injury or death, but surrender is an option. No quarter means no surrender.

Strangely, I've still gotten people to yield during no-quarter combat.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 08:03:44 pm »

Yeah, that's a bug, I guess -- no quarter is for when an AI critter finally realizes that you still attack people that have already yielded, so they don't fall for your tricks again.  That and animals.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 08:25:48 pm »

is the colapse of trees a feature or that's gonna be fixed too?, i had to cut several roots from the ground in order to carve my current fortress and this has caused several trees to colapse. if this is a feature maybe it could count as choping trees, so wood is generated from the colapsed ones. i dont have all the details. but should be logical.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 08:26:44 pm »

is the colapse of trees a feature or that's gonna be fixed too?, i had to cut several roots from the ground in order to carve my current fortress and this has caused several trees to colapse. if this is a feature maybe it could count as choping trees, so wood is generated from the colapsed ones. i dont have all the details. but should be logical.

Not a feature -- it's on the bug tracker.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 09:56:31 pm »

What determines if someone knows where a site or person is? Does it randomly pick someone from the pot and makes sure they know the spot, or does it keep track of every location that unit knows (i.e.: when you speak to someone if I recall they get realized and stuff is made for them, is this done before hand or only in piecemeal until you've talked to them)? With the rumor mill in full force, would other people learn where a site is from that person given time?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:58:23 pm by Xanmyral »

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 10:29:57 pm »

no quarter is for when an AI critter finally realizes that you still attack people that have already yielded, so they don't fall for your tricks again.  That and animals.
I got an elf to enter no quarter by throwing it out of a tree by the neck. Some goblins too, by stabbing them.  Actually, I've hardly ever seen merely nonlethal or lethal combat,  it's all just no quarter.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 10:34:00 pm »

no quarter is for when an AI critter finally realizes that you still attack people that have already yielded, so they don't fall for your tricks again.  That and animals.
I got an elf to enter no quarter by throwing it out of a tree by the neck. Some goblins too, by stabbing them.  Actually, I've hardly ever seen merely nonlethal or lethal combat,  it's all just no quarter.
No quarter happens all the time. I think it's bugged.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 10:54:14 pm »

I have a 0.40.03 save where my adventurer just stepped into a marketplace and everyone erupts into no-quarter combat.

Is there currently any way to determine why people are fighting?

Should people default to no-quarter, or is that a bug?

Should we expect certain people, as a result of the personality rewrite, to engage in spontaneous violence?

(one of the personality description lines is "is given to rough-and-tumble brawling, even to the point of starting fights for no reason")

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 10:58:07 pm »

Can you confirm what the numbers in the ORIENTATION token mean? Research tells me they're probably female_chance:bisexual_chance:male_chance, but I could be wrong (especially in the middle).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 306