Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834273 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 11:01:40 pm »

Oh, yeah, I forgot -- I also put in no quarter for intruders on sites w/ entities w/ required kill ethics.  This was because there's no justice system, so you could just yield to get out of any trouble, making killing you the quick fix.  Since the new cultural groups carry some ethics with them, it's possible that's carrying over to markets in some way, but that's really the most charitable interpretation.  It's probably something more messed up.  If anybody decides to jump in on the side of a fleeing animal, for instance, they'd adopt its no quarter stance, and I know that kind of thing happened in testing (fixed that instance, but who knows).  For example, they'd be like "there's a fight (scared animal)!  animal?  neutral.  but I hate that guy!  let's jump in on the side of the animal!  no quarter?  no problem!"
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 11:32:31 pm »

Quote from: Xanmyral
What determines if someone knows where a site or person is? Does it randomly pick someone from the pot and makes sure they know the spot, or does it keep track of every location that unit knows (i.e.: when you speak to someone if I recall they get realized and stuff is made for them, is this done before hand or only in piecemeal until you've talked to them)? With the rumor mill in full force, would other people learn where a site is from that person given time?

Right now it's pretty simple -- people know areas within ~20 tiles of home, unless they had a traveling position in the past, in which case they can direct you anywhere.  I had some memory concerns with detailed site knowledge for hist figs, and the guide system was sort of unsatisfying, so I'm easing into it.

Quote from: Urist Da Vinci
Is there currently any way to determine why people are fighting?
Should we expect certain people, as a result of the personality rewrite, to engage in spontaneous violence?

(addressed the no quarter question above)  Aside from the occasional aside, it can be impossible to figure out why a fight is happening.  That's a reasonably short-term goal.  Some people will fight people they don't like if they are properly unbalanced personality-wise, but they don't quite get to the point where they pick fights for fun.  I might jump all-in on that trait when it's easier to understand what's going on.

Quote from: Putnam
Can you confirm what the numbers in the ORIENTATION token mean? Research tells me they're probably female_chance:bisexual_chance:male_chance, but I could be wrong (especially in the middle).

It's a by-caste tag, so you'd use it twice for each caste if you want to set all the numbers.  <male/female>:<disinterested chance>:<lover-possible chance>:<commitment-possible chance>  It uses the chances to put an individual critter into any of the 9 possible configurations.  Defaults are, if I remember, 75:20:5 for the same gender, and 5:20:75 for the opposite.  That leads to a 3x3 grid, with numbers in it.  I'm not invested in the current ones if there are better ideas, but it's probably not all that easy to make a good selection when the categorization is ad hoc anyway.  I would have used caste instead of gender to allow more interesting outcomes for many-casted critters, but the optimizations would be a nightmare (already had to jump from 2 to 6 relationship pools...).  Of course, all relationships are still eternal, so the lover thing is kind of broken now (sometimes it won't advance beyond lover because one of the parties is not interested in committing, but still neither ever breaks it off, ever...  not unrealistic in individual cases, but strange overall).

Oddly enough, we thought retired adventurers would start forming relationships with 0.40.01+, so we wanted to have a better spectrum available, but then we didn't get around to the gen/pre-retirement specification menu, so all adventurers are still tagged with the special "undetermined" flag...

edit: corrected typo 25->20
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:05:29 am by Toady One »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 12:22:48 am »

Oh, yeah, I forgot -- I also put in no quarter for intruders on sites w/ entities w/ required kill ethics.  This was because there's no justice system, so you could just yield to get out of any trouble, making killing you the quick fix.  Since the new cultural groups carry some ethics with them, it's possible that's carrying over to markets in some way, but that's really the most charitable interpretation.  It's probably something more messed up.  If anybody decides to jump in on the side of a fleeing animal, for instance, they'd adopt its no quarter stance, and I know that kind of thing happened in testing (fixed that instance, but who knows).  For example, they'd be like "there's a fight (scared animal)!  animal?  neutral.  but I hate that guy!  let's jump in on the side of the animal!  no quarter?  no problem!"

I generated a world where those entities had ACCEPTABLE rather than REQUIRED, and that appears to have stopped the market massacres, at least in the one market I have been to so far.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 12:41:57 am »

I suppose a culture adjusting to a new site where they are nominally welcome should at least soften that part of their stance, he he he...  I wonder if that is all it is.

It does raise the question of who the intruder is, because I think it has happened for people in their starting town.  But there are guests sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:43:31 am by Toady One »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 12:52:24 am »

So what's in the development plans for the nearest future as far as "bigger" features go (after taverns and job priorities and any other fun tidbits)?

With the fundamentals put by 0.40, kingdom "mode" is not that far away (though I still want my fort mode skills in adventure mode, especially since all the workshops in dwarven forts are a thing)...Though I guess army battles should happen beforehand...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 01:17:13 am »

So what's in the development plans for the nearest future as far as "bigger" features go (after taverns and job priorities and any other fun tidbits)?

With the fundamentals put by 0.40, kingdom "mode" is not that far away (though I still want my fort mode skills in adventure mode, especially since all the workshops in dwarven forts are a thing)...Though I guess army battles should happen beforehand...

There are many big-ticket features on the dev page.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 01:23:43 am »

Firstly I want to say that yay! Thanks for this new version :D Its finally gotten to the stage I personally was waiting for!

I mean, I started playing DF around 2011 and once I learned to play it there were few bugs that were personally annoying me... Like I discovered from wiki that you can tame exotic animals, including megabeasts, which wasn't really major thing but I considered that to be so awesome feature that I was bugged by being unable to do it.

So later that eventually got fixed, though in meanwhile I was bothered by kobolds getting wiped out by starvation bug, but in my countless fortresses I never managed to capture a megabeast because for some reason only forbidden beasts ever attacked me. And the long play time brought attention to me that world really stopped being alive after world generation. Even adventure mode wasn't that interesting since elf/goblin/dwarf sites didn't no longer exist.

So whats my point? The fact that this version bought back adventure mode sites and that world is now activated has made it so that game has finally gotten to the point where I'm personally completely happy with it and don't feel rush for new versions with other awesome cool features any longer :)

Anyway, I do have some actual questions that I'm sure someone has probably asked before so anybody can please fill me in, I haven't checked forums since 34.'s final update.

Are tamed megabeasts eventually going to be able to breed?

Currently in worlds with long history, bronze colossi tend to get wiped out due to fact they don't breed and in world gen they aren't stronger than other megabeasts. When they are eventually randomized as well and more magic happens, is there going to be new way of getting more of them? Like crazy mages creating new ones or something?

Are eventually civilizations and megabeasts going to have a more priority on what sites they invade? I know that civilizations make war because of torture and treatment of plants and such, but they do seem to be rather harsh on kobolds. Currently kobolds seem to get wiped out since they don't breed much and one army or megabeast is enough to wipe out all of them out. I'd imagine that civilizations and megabeasts wouldn't really bother kobolds much due to fact kobolds aren't much of a threat(well, I guess dragon might want to kill them if they steal from dragon, but yeah otherwise they get wiped out to extinction before year 200 so I never get to see them on medium history on fortress mode), but yeah. Kobolds are about same amount of threat and as bandit camps and I don't think bandit camps get wiped out by civilizations or megabeasts. Or at least they keep popping up more often than kobolds. Even besides improving kobolds' survival chances, I'd imagine young megabeasts would be more careful than adult size ones.

(BTW, really funny that kobolds sometime steal divine metal treasures from vaults :') They have become master thieves)

Vaults' residents make me wonder if demons are eventually going to have multiple randomized types as well(I guess they might already have since all goblin civilization demons seem to be humanoid)? I heard 2d version had three types of demons with one being weak, one being lusty tentacle monster and one being boss type, do demons have that type thing going on or are they going to eventually?

EDIT: Umm, how to make those questions glow same green as you guys do? <_<; Thanks in advance Edit: Nevermind figured it out

In adventure mode sometimes when I start a game there is "Bandit led by (x) are harassing people on the street!" thing going on, but after killing all bandits and even after going to their leader and killing him, they are still saying that. Is there currently a way to resolve that "quest" so that people on the site stop saying they are being harassed?

Is future versions going to have bandit leaders with combat abilities again? Currently they seem to be lords and masters without armor and only a knife. Also, why do some demon masters run at sight of adventurer and others one shot kill me?

Are we eventually going to be able to search in legend mode by species/race?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:21:56 am by MaskedMiner »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 01:48:59 am »

What happened to the [POWER] token?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 02:22:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 02:24:29 am »

Firstly, Toady, thanks very much for your hard work on the new version - it's great and the conversation system makes the game a lot richer and Fun.

Right - brown-nosing out of the way, now for the questions (with apologies for the suggestion-lite bits after):

Are there plans to do more with yielded opponents, such as taking them prisoner?

I'd love to march into the bandit camp that's been harassing a town, dispatch the henchmen and then drag the leader back to the lord and see him put in the dungeons while I receive my rewards.

Will an equivalent of the old quest markers ever make a comeback, or do we have to keep track of destinations by ourselves now?

Maybe a system where certain topics in the Q screen could be 'marked' by the player, and then the relevant sites could be highlighted in the nearby sites list.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 02:43:48 am »

Are conversation system improvements on the short-term todo list? (could really use some sort of filtering/sorting options) I would apply this same question to the Log system as well, it can start to contain A LOT of stuff. Would be nice to be able to flag items or selectively suppress certain items, etc.

Do you think the current conversations between NPC's can often be a bit too spammy, any plans to tone it down at all?

Is the current "rumor" system working as intended? I ask because it seems like NPC's have a tendency to not care much when you inform them of completed tasks. Not sure if the rumor system is broken or if the NPC reactions to the things are just very subtle now.

Any chance we'll get any significant new features or functionality in the short-term, perhaps appended to the end of the bug fix cycle?

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 02:58:11 am »

When can we expect the features from fruit and fruit bearing plants to be fully implemented? At present gathering fruit bearing plants only gathers the plants which are essentially useless on their own. From looking over the RAWs one can deduce that there's something else that needs to be done with these plants to make their fruits usable. In the short term modders can simply go through and adjust the tags on these plants to let you gather their fruit like any other kind of plant, but I'd still be interested in knowing what the ultimate goals of this feature are.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 03:02:34 am »

There seems to be an overabundance of wood even in savannas and deserts with cacti.  Should this be balanced, in your opinion, or is it intended to make wood an easier accessed resource? As of now, it doesn't go with the elven diplomat dialogue, since part of the challenge of a tree fell quota is not getting a hundred elven bowmen at your doorstep, and the new trees kind of nullify that.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 03:07:39 am »

There seems to be an overabundance of wood even in savannas and deserts with cacti.  Should this be balanced, in your opinion, or is it intended to make wood an easier accessed resource? As of now, it doesn't go with the elven diplomat dialogue, since part of the challenge of a tree fell quota is not getting a hundred elven bowmen at your doorstep, and the new trees kind of nullify that.

I could still see that happening if someone made an above ground fort out of wood. Personally I like the larger quantities. It's more realistic and it's nice to see something that makes the game easier instead of harder for a change.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 03:32:26 am »

PTW
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 306