Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834239 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2014, 02:48:44 pm »

Do migrating armies show up in fortress mode?  Is it possible to create a fortress that intercepts any armies heading towards your civilization?

Fort Mode only gets targeted invasions for now, but you'll get passers-by later.

What if you make a natural blockade, and the only way through is through your fort?  I set up a map like that, I haven't gotten around to testing it though.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8934

There is a spot you can build that's a landbridge between the goblin and dwarf civilizations, the only way through.  Would the game just crash, or would they just magically phase through?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2014, 04:26:54 pm »

Is the following observation a intentional or unintentional change: In Fortress mode the speed in which the calendar time passes seemed to have slowed down. In addition to this, the rate at which dwarves learn their skills seemed to have increased greatly.

To make a comparison, in .34.11 I was able to make 15 bedrooms (bed and a door 2x2), a small dining room, a workshop area, a farm and be able to produce about 1k value in good before the first Liaison+Traders came in fall (from what I remember). My dwarves would be able to reach about adept-expert in certain skills.

In 40.03, I have made 50 bedrooms (bed and a door 2x2), a large dining room, fully built workshop area, a fully connected kitchen area, farm and proper ramp accesses, and was able to make 5.5k in good for trades. My dwarves have already reached Master and High Master in certain area's.

I do agree that this change was in the right direction, however I do feel that I am progressing too quickly now.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2014, 04:32:47 pm »

Is the following observation a intentional or unintentional change: In Fortress mode the speed in which the calendar time passes seemed to have slowed down. In addition to this, the rate at which dwarves learn their skills seemed to have increased greatly.

To make a comparison, in .34.11 I was able to make 15 bedrooms (bed and a door 2x2), a small dining room, a workshop area, a farm and be able to produce about 1k value in good before the first Liaison+Traders came in fall (from what I remember). My dwarves would be able to reach about adept-expert in certain skills.

In 40.03, I have made 50 bedrooms (bed and a door 2x2), a large dining room, fully built workshop area, a fully connected kitchen area, farm and proper ramp accesses, and was able to make 5.5k in good for trades. My dwarves have already reached Master and High Master in certain area's.

I do agree that this change was in the right direction, however I do feel that I am progressing too quickly now.

Related bug report here.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 05:01:43 pm »

Are there plans to add concubinage? And are dwarves ever going to become blood brothers or things like that? I am pretty sure these would both be more historically fitting to the pseudo-historical fantasy setting than the (to my knowledge) largely modern thing of having homosexual relationships that are treated as basically the same as heterosexual relationships. I am also pretty sure they would contribute more to the gameplay than simply causing there to be some sterile couples, and would contribute more to the forums than simply causing the denizens to argue over homophobia.

Mind you, I'm not saying "homosexuality shouldn't be in the game," (although, honestly, I like the fact that I can play Dwarf Fortress without usually being reminded of current cultural conflicts). I'm just saying things in the game should be interesting beyond satisfying some people's need to see their notion of equality championed in game design and should not be jarringly modern considering the supposed, fuzzy cultural cutoff date. And, by extension, there are things that could be a lot more directly and immediately interesting that are almost impossible to do in a way that doesn't fit the cultural setting. Things that shaped the plot of The Iliad and the Norse Sagas. Such as concubines and ye olde ritual blood brotherhood.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 05:16:20 pm »

Are there plans to add concubinage? And are dwarves ever going to become blood brothers or things like that? I am pretty sure these would both be more historically fitting to the pseudo-historical fantasy setting than the (to my knowledge) largely modern thing of having homosexual relationships that are treated as basically the same as heterosexual relationships. I am also pretty sure they would contribute more to the gameplay than simply causing there to be some sterile couples, and would contribute more to the forums than simply causing the denizens to argue over homophobia.

Mind you, I'm not saying "homosexuality shouldn't be in the game," (although, honestly, I like the fact that I can play Dwarf Fortress without usually being reminded of current cultural conflicts). I'm just saying things in the game should be interesting beyond satisfying some people's need to see their notion of equality championed in game design and should not be jarringly modern considering the supposed, fuzzy cultural cutoff date. And, by extension, there are things that could be a lot more directly and immediately interesting that are almost impossible to do in a way that doesn't fit the cultural setting. Things that shaped the plot of The Iliad and the Norse Sagas. Such as concubines and ye olde ritual blood brotherhood.

Suggestions belong in the Suggestions forum, where there are already a number of related threads.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:35:41 pm by Footkerchief »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2014, 05:31:03 pm »

Are there plans to add concubinage?
Masterwork mod had concubines, but cut later on Toady's request, so I think it's highly unlikely they'll ever be added.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2014, 05:34:36 pm »

PTW

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 05:48:35 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't thinking of it as a suggestion when I wrote it but in hindsight it did come out rather that way...
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 06:00:36 pm »

Hopefully this isn't too suggestion-y:

Will minecarts ever be viable as a method of transit?
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2014, 06:03:20 pm »

Hopefully this isn't too suggestion-y:

Will minecarts ever be viable as a method of transit?
Probably planned, though I can't find anything in the DFtalks.   

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2014, 06:03:28 pm »

Masterwork mod had concubines, but cut later on Toady's request, so I think it's highly unlikely they'll ever be added.

Really? Seems weird that Toady would interfere with a mod, so [citation needed], if you could.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2014, 06:03:44 pm »

On a related question about plants: Are there plans to go through and give the various aboveground plants more realistic seasons and growth durations, as well as reasonable harvest seasons for things like fruit?

Right now they're all pretty much set for any season with short growth durations that allow you to get a crop every season (or more), while the underground plants all have seasons, which doesn't make much sense.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2014, 06:07:11 pm »

Really? Seems weird that Toady would interfere with a mod, so [citation needed], if you could.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125672.msg4230754#msg4230754

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2014, 06:24:56 pm »

Maybe Toady plays Masterwork? Oh great Toady, which mods do you use when you're just playing for fun?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2014, 06:45:35 pm »

He doesn't last I heard and the actual reason is in the post I just linked.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 306