Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849438 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #405 on: August 31, 2014, 01:57:38 pm »

I can't seem to find this issue on the bug tracker, but all historical figures blink blue in Adventure mode when graphics are turned on. This is not only distracting, but could confuse new players. Are there any plans to fix this blinking?

2278? If it's on the tracker, it'll probably get fixed.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 31, 2014, 04:45:05 pm »

I can't seem to find this issue on the bug tracker, but all historical figures blink blue in Adventure mode when graphics are turned on. This is not only distracting, but could confuse new players. Are there any plans to fix this blinking?

2278? If it's on the tracker, it'll probably get fixed.

Thank you kindly.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 31, 2014, 04:59:23 pm »

Oh, okay, legendaries and other blinkers, I thought you meant all historical figures. That'd be bad. Historical figures include all of your fortress members and basically anyone who has a name at all.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 31, 2014, 05:42:45 pm »

Oh, okay, legendaries and other blinkers, I thought you meant all historical figures. That'd be bad. Historical figures include all of your fortress members and basically anyone who has a name at all.

Should have phrased it better, but I still think it's pretty bad. It includes your own character, for example, and I personally find it very annoying. At any rate, I hadn't noticed that bug in the bug tracker.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #409 on: August 31, 2014, 08:09:00 pm »

Thanks to thvaz, Knight Otu, Footkerchief, Talvieno, King Mir, Untelligent, Eric Blank, Trif, Inarius, Rockphed and anybody I missed for helping to answer questions.  If your question does not appear below, it was most likely addressed by one of the people listed above shortly after you asked, so please check!

Quote from: Dame de la Licorne
Do you have an idea as to how much you still need to implement before being able to tackle various fort mode start scenarios?

As in, being able to do a hermit fort scenario without having to kill off six of the starting seven?  Or some sort of last dwarves/generational scenario without having to re-roll fifty thousand times (exaggerated, yes, but the point stands) to get six of the starting seven to be age matches?  And so on.

Note that I'm not asking "when", I'm asking "what still needs to be done before."

Something like a hermit scenario doesn't take much of anything.  Others take more stuff, like having hill dwarves or more mechanics involving religions.  The specific ones you brought up don't require additional features, just an interface that interacts with the breadth of current variables.

Quote from: Quietust
Looking into interaction details revealed two new breath attack types: TRAILING_ITEM_FLOW and UNDIRECTED_ITEM_CLOUD. How exactly are they used? Do they work with both CDI and IT_MATERIAL?

(I'm guessing "no" for IT_MATERIAL, since it's only used with weather effects, and there's no WEATHER_CREEPING_ITEM or WEATHER_FALLING_ITEM, as amusing as it would be to have it rain fish or have a cloud of locusts drift by)

Knight Otu put up a CDI example, and I think that's how they work, since they operate through creatures.  The regional reactions are reasonably malnourished in terms of the attention they've received.

Quote from: Witty
With the current model of morale, do diffrent creatures exude diffrent levels of horror? IE is a dragon more horrifying to a militia dwarf than say an alligator or a gazelle?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They mostly judge by size and special attacks, in terms of morale during a fight.  They don't have a pure horror reaction to the big monsters though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Talvieno
Toady, in past versions, adding [GRASSTRAMPLE:50] to a creature would cause it to trample grass flat almost immediately, but in the current version (40.08) it appears to do nothing. Was this removed intentionally? If so, I'm curious as to why, and if it is coming back in the future.

I don't recall changing anything intentionally, and the combination of adding trees and the attack/move split stuff could very well have messed it up, if it's a new problem for this set of releases.

Quote from: Vattic
(Made invaders not come back as ghosts)

Are there plans to bring this back and make it functional? Haunted battlefields seem like a missed opportunity.

We have some notes regarding both old battlefields and various hauntings/ghosty stuff, so it's quite possible it'll happen on the long journey.  I'm not sure I'd call it a missed opportunity, since there's a lot of work to do to make it worthwhile.

Quote from: smjjames
(Items disappear after getting pushed by flowing water, burning in magma, or encased in ice)

Just out of curiosity (and to actually make a question for the green text), what was causing that bug to happen?

The items were removed from the ground when pushed, and then there was a section that had the item sometimes be redirected 45 degrees off so that the pushing of piles wouldn't be 100% orderly.  Finally, the item was placed back on the ground at its new location.  The problem was that if the redirection failed because an obstacle was detected, it bailed early and never replaced the item properly on the ground.  That's why tight hallways made it happen more often.  A lot of the item's information was retained overall, hence its appearance on certain lists and so on.

Quote from: Dirst
do the new map layout options imply some kind of edge-wrapping behavior?

Nope.  That's a time-consuming change that isn't likely to make it in any time soon...  probably almost as annoying to add as whole other planes of existence in the end.

Quote from: Farmerbob
I really would like to know how projectile firing speeds became broken due to fixing wagons.

There was an old flag from before the attack/move split that stopped people from moving too often, and it was messing up wagon speed.  But projectile firing delays were also being governed by that flag (as that was one of the actions that didn't get updated to the new system).  So there was still a delay, but it ticked off many times faster than it was supposed to.

Quote from: Cobbler89
(Made attacker always look at target upon initiating attack)

Well, actually, in all seriousness, if you don't mind my asking: How did this make a difference? I thought vision mostly mattered for sneaking, and you can't attack someone you don't already see, so I'm having a hard time guessing what the impact of that bug was.

I was having a problem where, after doing a sneak attack, the target would correctly initiate an attack on me (since they now know where you are briefly), but their vision cone would remain pointing the wrong way for a long while.  It looked weird.  So just a technical change more or less.

Quote from: BenLubar
How much data about historical figures is stored after that figure dies? Is, for example, the hair color of that person retained after they're killed?

Yeah, it maintains the unit definition where that is stored on disk without cleaning it out and can load it from there as necessary (for a body, for example).  There are a few pieces that are deleted for historical figures that die in world generation, and a lot of information is never generated for them.  There's a spot for the historical troll lair victims for instance where it creates the physical description on the spot for the first time so it can make the bodies correctly, if I remember.  Same thing for historical zombies and mummies.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 01, 2014, 06:13:48 am »

Thanks Toady!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 01, 2014, 07:11:34 am »

Thanks for the answers!
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 01, 2014, 07:13:27 am »

Thanks!
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 01, 2014, 08:43:40 am »

Thanks Toady !
Long live the cause !

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 01, 2014, 05:24:33 pm »

Here's a question, though I don't know if anyone else asked it or if it's been answered: I was under the impression that we'd be able to interact with Hill Dwarves to some degree in Fortress mode in this release, but I haven't seen anything about it. What needs to be done before that comes available? I'm just talking about little things like being able to send people out to help them, nothing major like sending out campaign forces en-mass to attack others.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 01, 2014, 05:30:44 pm »

Here's a question, though I don't know if anyone else asked it or if it's been answered: I was under the impression that we'd be able to interact with Hill Dwarves to some degree in Fortress mode in this release, but I haven't seen anything about it. What needs to be done before that comes available? I'm just talking about little things like being able to send people out to help them, nothing major like sending out campaign forces en-mass to attack others.
Those two things, probably would use very similar feature or use the same underlying features.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 01, 2014, 07:45:45 pm »

Quote from: Dirst
do the new map layout options imply some kind of edge-wrapping behavior?

Nope.  That's a time-consuming change that isn't likely to make it in any time soon...  probably almost as annoying to add as whole other planes of existence in the end.

Thanks for all of your hard work.  I might humbly suggest map-wrapping (or at least some notion of non-flat maps) before moving on to planes of existence.  Hacking in non-Euclidian geometry on one world is hard enough, hacking it into a multiverse simultaneously might prove... difficult.

On a completely different topic, the current tantrum and insanity systems are "placeholders" but do you have a broad-strokes idea of what needs to be done before this part of the AI (artificial insanity) engine is fleshed out?  I would love to see someone actually appoint a yak to a noble position and mean it!  This would be a legitimate loyalty cascade between loyalty to the noble and loyalty to the country.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 01, 2014, 10:12:13 pm »

And animals being given official appointments, weren't unheard of for medieval Europe.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 02, 2014, 03:19:06 am »

And animals being given official appointments, weren't unheard of for medieval Europe.

heh Medieval Europe; They still do stuff like that. 
(In 1986, the ferret was named the official mascot of the Massachusetts Colonial Navy, and Pokey the ferret [the first ferret that held the Navy's mascot title] spawned one of the first-ever lines of stuffed ferret toys.)

While I'm in this thread I might as well ask a question:  Could [Give/Take] profile options be added to the Depot? If a hauling route were linked and it's endpoints included in pathing for getting items from the deep to trade it could save a lot of steps if the Dwarves could count a cart as closer than dragging stuff the full way.

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 02, 2014, 12:06:23 pm »

here's an interesting question, or perhaps just a suggestion:

would we be able to send dwarves from our fort into the hill dwarf communities for any purpose? my though is that useless dwarves could be instructed to join the hill dwarves to help them in some way or another.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 306