Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1841588 times)

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #630 on: October 27, 2014, 07:33:45 pm »

•Made weather init option clear up weather properly instead of just turning off the global simulation
Does this mean I can no longer play Dwarves in Washington State? 8^(

True story: I once tried to turn an entire 2x2 embark into a giant rain funnel. Only having so many murky pools at the top to make the rain turn into actual water kinda made it anticlimactic. I'd love to try again if/when sufficiently torrential downpours could put a bit of water on any surface, and see what happens.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 27, 2014, 08:06:55 pm »

•Made weather init option clear up weather properly instead of just turning off the global simulation

True story: I once tried to turn an entire 2x2 embark into a giant rain funnel. Only having so many murky pools at the top to make the rain turn into actual water kinda made it anticlimactic. I'd love to try again if/when sufficiently torrential downpours could put a bit of water on any surface, and see what happens.

Surely there are some embarks that are rainy all the time, right? I don't know how the global weather simulation works...
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 27, 2014, 08:32:15 pm »

i don't get this joke

i live in washington state

it's almost a desert here, excepting the occasional basement-flooding downpour

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 27, 2014, 08:36:28 pm »

So, the eastern half?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 27, 2014, 09:14:33 pm »

more like 3/4, heh

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 28, 2014, 12:11:21 am »

Isn't it more the Seattle area that is very rainy?

Not to do a shameless plug, but could you check out the repeatable town crashes* and the midmap error crash? For the midmap error one, it crashes so reliably for me that I try to generate worlds which don't have civilization sites on the right edge so that I can avoid it.

*Theres several different example saves in there, no idea if they all have the same cause and the third one is wierd in that the inhabitants react as if I'm hostile, or it's a goblin site, unrelated to the crash though.

If being a shameless plug like that is frowned upon for this thread, I'll remove the post.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:22:12 am by smjjames »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 28, 2014, 08:13:57 am »

Oh great Toady, maker of the universe! When do you plan to separate the loading time for ranged attacks, as for example crossbows firing slower than bows, and lend us the values for modding, like for example a repeating crossbow and such? It's in the plans?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 28, 2014, 09:23:16 am »

LordBaal, we have a Suggestions forum for that kind of thing.  Toady does read it.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 28, 2014, 09:42:13 am »

I know, but he already touched that for this release and said he'll come back latter, I was asking about it and if he's thinking about that for the next release.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 30, 2014, 05:12:10 pm »

What is the significance of the colors on the new thought screen? For example, arousal from talking to spouses, and fondness from talking to friends are cyan, while satisfaction from work and bliss from sleep are both green. What's similar about the cyan emotions? What's different between the green emotions and the cyan emotions?

Also is there any difference, in terms of dwarf happiness or behavior, between the many different positive emotions? Will dwarves who are aroused by there spouses behave differently from dwarves who are feeling fond of their friends? What about dwarves who are "interested" by fine furniture rather than feeling pleasure from it?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 30, 2014, 06:15:53 pm »

Just marked fixed on the tracker: 0006854: Pulped body parts don't get severed arteries or functional impairment

Probably means a lot more lethality for blunt weapons.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 30, 2014, 10:55:58 pm »

What is the significance of the colors on the new thought screen? For example, arousal from talking to spouses, and fondness from talking to friends are cyan, while satisfaction from work and bliss from sleep are both green. What's similar about the cyan emotions? What's different between the green emotions and the cyan emotions?

Also is there any difference, in terms of dwarf happiness or behavior, between the many different positive emotions? Will dwarves who are aroused by there spouses behave differently from dwarves who are feeling fond of their friends? What about dwarves who are "interested" by fine furniture rather than feeling pleasure from it?

In a similar line of questions, what emotion is behind the 'stumbles around obliviously' (which happens to be a fast blinking light cyan exclaimation mark)? I thought maybe it was like the 'thousand mile stare' or something, but I'm probably wrong.

Also, might be helpful for companions to state why they were feeling depressed or 'stumbling around obliviously' and I've had insane/melancholy companions state they were fine when obviously they aren't.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 31, 2014, 09:36:10 am »

In a similar line of questions, what emotion is behind the 'stumbles around obliviously' (which happens to be a fast blinking light cyan exclaimation mark)? I thought maybe it was like the 'thousand mile stare' or something, but I'm probably wrong.

Also, might be helpful for companions to state why they were feeling depressed or 'stumbling around obliviously' and I've had insane/melancholy companions state they were fine when obviously they aren't.
You've never had someone visibly upset just say they are "fine"?

This leaves an opening for social skills to reveal the person's actual emotional state.

Urist McLonely: "I am fine." But his expression betrays that he is sad.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 31, 2014, 06:11:19 pm »

Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

Best Halloween bugfix ever
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 01, 2014, 10:48:52 am »

Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

Best Halloween bugfix ever

Heh yeah that's a good one that goes on the pile of hilarious bugs I never even encountered or heard about before.   :)

Quote from: Bug eating Toad
Increased default embark points to compensate for more default equipment (stepladder etc.)

I can understand this from a reasonable-game POV but I never really understood the notion of adding crutches and whatnot to the standard embark.  Do the dwarves seriously expect to get crippled before the carpenter's workshop is up and running?  (Could be craftsdwarfs wkshop, am inebriated)  In the same vein, do they really need to get those high-hanging mangoes a few weeks earlier?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 306