Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834416 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #870 on: December 07, 2014, 08:04:02 pm »

problem with legends is so much to sift through and not being able to use in while playing.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: December 08, 2014, 04:43:14 pm »

will it be possible to create a civ or town/fortress with a adventurer in the future? say urist mc human gets a band of people and go's out far into the wilderness and him and his band of followers make a small hamlet that becomes a large town that is the capital of the new human civ with urist mc human as king

also when will kings and queens children become the king/queen and not a random dwarf/human/elf?
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: December 08, 2014, 06:57:51 pm »

will it be possible to create a civ or town/fortress with a adventurer in the future? say urist mc human gets a band of people and go's out far into the wilderness and him and his band of followers make a small hamlet that becomes a large town that is the capital of the new human civ with urist mc human as king

also when will kings and queens children become the king/queen and not a random dwarf/human/elf?

That would be a LONG ways off.

As for the kings and queens children becoming the next ruler, it's supposed to happen now. Although DF has no concept of a royal family, and so, it only looks at the next generation, not the grandchildren or whatever. Though in the case of the ruler not having any children or they're all dead, it goes to some random NPC.

The concept of royal family and better succession will be fleshed out.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: December 08, 2014, 08:13:14 pm »

problem with legends is so much to sift through and not being able to use in while playing.

You can do either 2 things:

1. Familiarize yourself with Legends Mode, use filtering and stick to writing stuff down, studying your preferred civ's history and that of your neighbors. Right now (40.19) it's advisable to spawn tiny worlds, and as you play more and more with that world, you begin to relate with names and regions, however random they might appear at first. In these primary stages of development, a lot of DF systems harken back to a pen-and-paper era, and that (in my opinion) creates a special bond with that world.

2. Use Legends Viewer and congratulate its developers.

Amended that second point. Thanks, smjjames.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:29:16 pm by Valtam »
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: December 08, 2014, 08:21:30 pm »

You can do either 2 things:

1. Familiarize yourself with Legends Mode, use filtering and stick to writing stuff down, studying your preferred civ's history and that of your neighbors. Right now (40.19) it's advisable to spawn tiny worlds, and as you play more and more with that world, you begin to relate with names and regions, however random they might appear at first. In these primary stages of development, a lot of DF systems harken back to a pen-and-paper era, and that (in my opinion) creates a special bond with that world.

2. Wait for Legends Viewer to get updated.

Uh, Legends Viewer works with 40.19....... If you're encountering problems, then report on that thread.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: December 09, 2014, 07:50:31 am »

I suspect that the 'I'm on an important mission' is a placeholder. Sure there will be a couple times when they don't want to tell you, but it's used way too often IMO.
Getting software to explain why it is doing something is a surprisingly difficult problem in AI.  When an NPC is engaged in a subtask, it may not be aware of its overall goal until it pops the subtask off of the stack.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: December 09, 2014, 10:43:36 am »

Yes, there's a lot of stuff related to this on the dev page:
Basic Adventure Mode Skills

Some survival skills
        Ability to butcher corpses with an appropriate tool
        Ability to make clothing and some other objects from hides
        Ability to obtain a sharp (or at least non-smooth) edge on a rock
        Extend adv mode starvation/dehydration times to appropriate number of days
    Wood use
        Ground debris/sticks/underbrush
        Ability to chop down tree using appropriate tool
        Ability to make simple wooden weapons and ammunition
        Ability to use logs to make constructions
        Site recognition for saving adventurer-made sites (will require entity pops first, see below)
        Ability to name site
    Digging and stone constructions
        Ability to dig out soil tiles
        Buried boulders in some soils
        Ability to pull up surface boulders
        Ability to make rough stone constructions
[...]
    Entity populations
        Track larger entity populations during world generation
        Update site storage to account for a variety of sprawl
    Growing crops
        Ability to till tile (faster with tool)
        Ability to plant seeds
        Ability to pass time quickly (unlike current sleep command)
        Ability to harvest plants
        Ability to make a quern from a boulder
        Ability to grind grindable plants (designating any proper container for products)
        Ability to cook and appropriate tools for this
    Raising livestock
        Farms associated to entity population sprawl
        Ability to buy a livestock animal and lead it around
        Keep track of your animals as with hunted animals so they are not easily and permanently lost
        Ability to build fences (more than one fence tile per tree used, as opposed to wall)
        Ability to perform decisive attacks on unsuspecting or heavily injured opponent (a cow being slaughtered, for instance)
        Tracking livestock breeding/pregnancy information
        Grazing and drinking for livestock
        Eggs, chickens and associated objects

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: December 09, 2014, 12:56:51 pm »

We'll be able to set the prices of drinks and rooms, but what use will we have for all the worthless coins(?) we collect from our guests?

they could be used to pay the dwarves that work there, cleaning up and serving visitors, purchasing foodstuffs and supplies from the fortress or traveling merchants, they will pay a tax towards the fortress, and the rest is profit that goes to the owning entity, either it's the fortress or a dwarf that claimed it like any other room ( i would love to see that, shop and inns and stuff that are claimed by a dwarf, that dwarf becomes the keeper, and only takes jobs related to that place).
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 09, 2014, 08:23:19 pm »

No updates for 4 days! Hopefully we'll hear something interesting on the next one.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #879 on: December 09, 2014, 09:02:10 pm »

Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: December 09, 2014, 09:04:05 pm »

Isn't poor decision making somewhat of a hallmark of dwarves? I mean, just look at last year's Hobbit movie.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: December 09, 2014, 09:43:58 pm »

Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...

You should post some of the funny stuff that you see. :)

Also, while you're at this whole thing, maybe look into http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6185 ? Then again, you're doing a total (or near total) priority rewrite.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:45:24 pm by smjjames »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: December 09, 2014, 09:48:51 pm »

james is right. you need to post the stuff thay do.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: December 09, 2014, 11:30:57 pm »

But it is probably all dull things like "dwarves seem to prefer going back to sleep to eating.  3 dwarves died of starvation before I figured it out."

Actually, that sounds amusing.  *Adopts plaintive gesture* "Oh Great Toad, grace us with knowledge of the poor decisions made by thine dwarves!"
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: December 09, 2014, 11:50:37 pm »

I'm sure theres some amusing stuff in there, or amusing moments of fail even.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 306