Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834232 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #885 on: December 10, 2014, 12:02:55 am »

It has just been stuff like...  why isn't he mining...  why isn't he mining...  oh there he goes...  why did he leave those two squares?  I have no idea (5 tests and changes later)...  didn't leave any this time...  try one more time...  left two squares...  oh I think I have it...  now he isn't mining again...  why did you mine there instead of there?  Oh < is not >...  okay it looks like it works now...  but the marker designation looks bad...  there now it is better...  it's 3 already?  I should eat...  wait, where did that designation go?  it disappeared...  I have to fix that first...  okay it works now...  let me try to toggle the markers...  why don't they mine...  he isn't mining...  oh, whoops...  okay...  he mined half...  why did he mine half?  oh it was the hauling jobs clearing wrong...  okay he mined out the rooms...  now let's see if smoothing works...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 10, 2014, 12:08:02 am »

Okay then.

I also see lots of potential for bugs elsewhere in the system with other jobs, and maybe some confusion initially.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #887 on: December 10, 2014, 12:11:27 am »

Yeah, adding a gearbox between jobs and dwarves allows all kinds of cool stuff to happen, but it'll have potential to just shoot gears all over the place, especially at first, and sporadically forevermore.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 10, 2014, 12:45:43 am »

Oh Ai stuff is the worst, might help if you could look at a dwarves/the gearbox mind while the stuff is in progress - let it log the state of the variables and its decisions maybe.

I did softwaretesting for a time (even got an ISTQB cert - not that it was worth anything), it might help if you break down the decission path and setup up your testscenario accordingly (i am sure you can set/lock/look up the dwarves mind and states already?) say if a dorf should mine if its hunger < 25 (or whatever) you look what happens if you lock the hunger at the boundary cases (24 & 25). If you combine the decisions the right way even a complex piece of software can (with luck) become maybe a half dozen testcases to cover all decisions.

Back in the day i worked for a big german carcompany (ok they did outsource) and we had some nightmarish software we had to test based on the written description - being for companies dealerships the software was as nightmarish as an complex AI.

edit: sorry if you know/have that stuff already dont want to sound like a jerk, just trying to be helpful
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:49:46 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 10, 2014, 05:39:49 am »

it's 3 already?  I should eat...  wait, ...

Toady, have you been neglecting to eat properly?  Tsk, tsk, tsk.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 10, 2014, 08:51:11 am »

Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...

You should post some of the funny stuff that you see. :)

Sidles over

https://twitter.com/dwarfort_txt
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 10, 2014, 09:15:46 am »

Oh great Toady, binarysmith of wonders! I must ask How hard would it be, or do you think it would be, and/or when do you see (if at all) implementing a better control over stocks in the game trough the manager. That's it, not only making orders but also managing that certain things are always in stock.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 10, 2014, 09:24:45 am »

I think something is wrong with Toady's hunger counters.  This is like the longest strange mood ever, so it probably has lots of untested interactions with other parts of the system.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 10, 2014, 11:02:05 am »

Oh great Toady, binarysmith of wonders! I must ask How hard would it be, or do you think it would be, and/or when do you see (if at all) implementing a better control over stocks in the game trough the manager. That's it, not only making orders but also managing that certain things are always in stock.

This sounds like the "standing production orders" feature that's been widely suggested, and it's on the dev page:
Standing Production Orders

Production triggers for new work orders
    Being able to link work orders and triggers to buildings

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 10, 2014, 11:04:24 am »

In the meantime, there's a DFHack utility that lets you keep a minimum of X amount of items y in your fortress, and people will make more once the amount goes below that number.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 10, 2014, 11:43:59 am »

Yeah, adding a gearbox between jobs and dwarves allows all kinds of cool stuff to happen, but it'll have potential to just shoot gears all over the place, especially at first, and sporadically forevermore.

There's something beautiful about the phrase "sporadically forevermore."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 10, 2014, 11:57:13 am »

In the meantime, there's a DFHack utility that lets you keep a minimum of X amount of items y in your fortress, and people will make more once the amount goes below that number.

It would be cool if that were implemented, would reduce some of the micromanagement and allow you to pay attention to other things more.

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 10, 2014, 01:00:25 pm »

^ this. so very much this!
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 10, 2014, 04:59:18 pm »

Do dwarves (in Fortress mode) ever change their gait?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: December 10, 2014, 04:59:59 pm »

Do dwarves (in Fortress mode) ever change their gait?

Yes. Whenever they flee, they run or sprint. You can tell because they start moving faster than normal.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 306