Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834119 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1140 on: January 19, 2015, 12:26:11 am »

There was also the concept of making executions as torturous as humanly possible.

Crucifixion is just about the perfect execution in terms of prolonged death. With those who die of it tending to die of suffication. I could go into the science involved but suffice it to say... it was pretty bad.

Hammering is gruesome, but since the first blow of a hammer to the head should be instant death, it is not really torturous

Assuming that the goal is to strike the head.

Though to be fair if Hammering was a REAL execution method it is likely favored for being a flexible system.

Someone sentenced to two hammerings? Well you could hit their head and pretty much guarantee their death...

Or you could crush their legs... or their hands... intentionally and spare them at a high cost... One could also give people who had TONS of hammerings basically a torturous excruciating death... or just one to their head to kill them instantly.

As well surviving hammering as a justification for allowing you to live is also something that likely would be built right into the system... a trial by fire sort of deal.

It could be as cruel or as kind as the dwarves need it to be... and frankly I don't believe Dwarves are super humane... They just dislike concepts they believe are "underhanded" or "Needlessly cruel". The idea of fair play is bred into them.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 19, 2015, 12:37:45 am »

Being Broken at the wheel may be the closest  historical equivalent to a cruel hammering :/
hamster cheese supplies are low

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 19, 2015, 03:45:15 am »

Being Broken at the wheel may be the closest  historical equivalent to a cruel hammering :/

Well that and... Shattering people's knees with a blunt instrument... was also something that was done.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 19, 2015, 05:41:44 am »

Knee capping is still done and was practiced by the IRA during the Irish Troubles of the late 1900s, along with any number of criminal gangs around the world today.

How does dwarven hammering work? I never use the hammerer, since I prefer to execute tantrum risks and useless nobles by magma, but it seems a more protracted procedure than I thought. I thought that the hammerer just smashed the victim on the head until it exploded into gore, usually only once if physics make any sense.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:43:48 am by Urist Tilaturist »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 19, 2015, 07:44:48 am »

You are derailing, friends. Let's go back to the subject !

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 19, 2015, 08:18:37 am »

How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 19, 2015, 09:12:47 am »

How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

you can't play df without becoming an evil overlord half-way through the game because: realistic and gory health systems + freedom to do everything you want + a bunch of lunatic players = Evil !!SCIENTIFIC!! Experiments.
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 19, 2015, 10:30:41 am »

Yes, getting hammered at a tavern does sound much more pleasant.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 19, 2015, 11:34:16 am »

Sigged

What were Toady's views on torture?  I know that he didn't want dwarves doing it, but is he willing to implement it at all, or does he think that torture will also make DF "that game"?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 19, 2015, 12:58:40 pm »

you can't play df without becoming an evil overlord half-way through the game because: realistic and gory health systems + freedom to do everything you want + a bunch of lunatic players = Evil !!SCIENTIFIC!! Experiments.

The health system is not realistic. When was the last time you saw a punched hand explode into gore through a gauntlet?

Torture already exists in DF adventure mode, at the hands of the player (I have read stories of players snapping all an enemy's fingers before finally putting them out of their misery days later). Fortress dwarves have also been observed doing it, even on their own kind (dwarven child care and forgotten beast poison experiments). Legal systems where confession and torture play a major part would be a good addition for some civilisations, though Toady may not want dwarves doing it; it is far easier for a lazy lawman to tear out his suspect's teeth until he confesses the crime than to do a proper investigation to be sure of getting the right culprit, and such systems were (and in some places still are) thus very popular.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: January 19, 2015, 01:27:13 pm »

Certainly, the damage physics need a lot of refinement, but this is by far the most elaborate and accurate ( in a damage specific sort of way) damage and health model in a game. bar none.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: January 19, 2015, 02:25:19 pm »

There are some threads on the modding sub forum about fixing combat, but a lot of it is sadly out of the reach of modders right now.

For old times' sake.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: January 19, 2015, 04:26:48 pm »

The health system is not realistic. When was the last time you saw a punched hand explode into gore through a gauntlet?

Torture already exists in DF adventure mode, at the hands of the player (I have read stories of players snapping all an enemy's fingers before finally putting them out of their misery days later). Fortress dwarves have also been observed doing it, even on their own kind (dwarven child care and forgotten beast poison experiments). Legal systems where confession and torture play a major part would be a good addition for some civilisations, though Toady may not want dwarves doing it; it is far easier for a lazy lawman to tear out his suspect's teeth until he confesses the crime than to do a proper investigation to be sure of getting the right culprit, and such systems were (and in some places still are) thus very popular.

Player stuff doesn't count at all.

What were Toady's views on torture?  I know that he didn't want dwarves doing it, but is he willing to implement it at all, or does he think that torture will also make DF "that game"?

Goblins certainly do some awful stuff.

MrLupenTails

• Bay Watcher
  • MrLupenTails admires Gnolls for their bloodlust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: January 19, 2015, 04:30:00 pm »

Can we create our own custom deities through a noble or by using the temple? Will dwarves be able to change religion? Can we enforce punishment on heresy or blasphemy? Will some religions be more violent? Will some religions be more peaceful?

Edit: When I asked the last two questions, I was referring to world generation scenarios. It would suck if all religions seemed the same for each race.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:32:32 pm by MrLupenTails »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: January 19, 2015, 04:32:14 pm »

Well, obviously a religion based on a god of war and violence is going to be more violent than a religion based on a god of peace and the sky or something, but I'm not sure if that'll actually show up in-game.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 306