Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1831846 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1170 on: January 21, 2015, 11:39:39 am »

Narrator: "In the year 1066, Urist McSoldier killed a creature composed of ash by bashing it in the foot with a pair of pants, but the creature removed Urist's heart, liver, and guts first."

Actor: *Has impromptu surgery onstage, or imitates it if he has had the procedure already*

And then the narrator drinks the actor's blood until the actor dies.

If the narrator was a vampire, yes.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1171 on: January 22, 2015, 05:59:42 am »

Because the new update does show up on the rss feed, but not on the main site:

22-01-15 01:24
(Toady One) Continuing to go through stuff -- breaks and generic parties are gone, needs are in, and people go to hang out at taverns and temples according to their needs. There are simple activities set up, and the next project is to flesh those out with randomized stuffs so that we can move on to visitors.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: January 22, 2015, 06:02:19 am »

Showed up for me just fine.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: January 22, 2015, 06:35:37 am »

Does the new need system that replaced breaks utilize zoos, statue gardens, and similar ilk at all?  Or will those need to wait for their own new zones and associated needs?   Have you considered modable zones with modable needs?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: January 22, 2015, 08:57:54 am »

Yeah, breaks and parties are gone.

Well, not exactly gone, but replaced by something more interesting.

Also you will be able to make more rooms without random parties and stuff. Which is good.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: January 22, 2015, 09:17:33 am »

As stated previously, I could be wrong but I can easily see Toady making workshops and other things more like zones now after he's done with inns. The general direction I think was to make current "buildings" more natural and zone-like.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: January 22, 2015, 09:34:46 am »

When dwarves go play music in the taverns or temples, will they just play solo or is there the possibility for them to group up in (whether impromptu spur-of-the-moment or not) bands?

Also:
Will (or do) stringed instruments have string that is actually made of, well, string? Whether it's catgut (actually sheepgut, although knowing dwarves, it actually COULD be from cats) or metal string. I'm just wondering this because I find a rock harp to be impossible to play.

Oh and:

Are there plans to expand the current list of musical instruments? It's pretty limited at one percussion, one string, and three wind instruments.Answered in the 1/24 devlog, I think.

ALSO!
Will artifact instruments give really high quality thoughts to other dwarves? I imagine that masterwork quality instruments will give better quality thoughts than fine quality. Though the dwarfs own instrument skill would come into play, after all, a dabbling music player could play an artifact flute badly.

thought branching off of that last one:
Will there be a skill for music playing? Or perhaps a bard skill? lol Answered in 1/24 devlog

EDIT!!!
Will they also sing along to the music? You know, like drinking songs, or just folksy songs, or even bard songs.

Sorry for that string of questions there, I had one thought after another there.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:39:01 am by smjjames »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: January 22, 2015, 10:37:52 am »

Musical instruments are pretty easy to mod in, though making them of multiple materials will need to wait until any non-meal items can be made from multiple materials.  So, what instruments are needed to do justice to Diggy Diggy Hole? :)

I suspect that songs would have a description of style and contents, similar to books.  Instrumental would be a style I suppose.

Having multiple dwarves get up and play together would be awesome, and could be part of a general mechanism on cooperation on big tasks.  There are two ways to improve a task with multiple participants: improve the quality or shorten the time.  Shortening the time to perform a song doesn't make much sense (unless you are Alvin and the Chipmunks), so this is a way to ease into one cooperation metric without complicating the interface.

Given that many elements of the tavern arc seem ripe for re-use elsewhere in the game, how much planning and future-proofing do you attempt when adding new features into the game?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:12:47 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: January 22, 2015, 12:58:54 pm »

Will better musicians/instrument quality reduce breaks or "needs"? (whatever the new break system is)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: January 22, 2015, 06:53:48 pm »

Will better musicians/instrument quality reduce breaks or "needs"? (whatever the new break system is)
I'd imagine it'll give a mood boost at least.

Will badly performed music give a negative mood beyond being woken up by it?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: January 22, 2015, 07:35:21 pm »

I'd imagine it'll give a mood boost at least.Will badly performed music give a negative mood beyond being woken up by it?

Urist was annoyed after being woken up. Urist was enraged by awful music.

Speaking of which, Will dwarves eventually have different tastes in music or other arts?
If an unskilled musician plays a piece, those with more talent might hear all the things wrong with the performance, but a casual observer who doesn't know better might have no problem with it. Maybe a sculptor who really likes making statues of ugly monsters and cockroaches might still offend others with his work even if they're masterfully crafted.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:14:23 pm by golemgunk »

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: January 22, 2015, 07:50:56 pm »

It's not the Near Future of the Fortress thread :)  Toady One has created a fantastic game that sparks a lot of interest, and some people are curious about what he sees as the long-term goals of the project.

The purpose of the thread is to discuss current developments.  Specific bugs should be reported on the bug tracker, and specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forumQuestions and comments about the development page or DF development somewhat more broadly work here, though any contentious topics that lead to derails are discouraged -- there are threads for those too.

If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them all, although it is difficult to respond to everything when it is busy.  I'll lean toward questions that involve current developments to avoid pulling the entire suggestion forum in here.

Emphasis mine. My interpretation of these guidelines is that while forward-looking questions of a "What do you think about X?" or "Will you ever implement Y?" nature are allowed, they are not encouraged. Like Toady writes in the quoted post, answering all those questions takes time and when they aren't related to current development he usually won't have much to tell us. In the past, he has preferred to deal with more speculative matters in DF Talks. I believe that it's better to direct curious people to the thread I just linked than to tell them to "Just ask away about whatever! We all have something we'd like to try and fast-track an answer to by posting it in the wrong thread!".

Edit: To clarify, nobody should post their questions directly in the thread I linked to. The first post in the thread gives instructions for emailing questions to Toady. If you want to know more about what may happen in DF in the distant future, follow those instructions and be patient.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:59:40 pm by Mopsy »

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: January 23, 2015, 04:09:31 pm »

Will we be able to found a tavern-fortress? like a fortress that basically is only a tavern, a massive tavern. with constant parties, booze everywhere!

I think it would be very interesting to just open a pub in fortress mode and sell home-grown/made booze and food

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: January 23, 2015, 04:33:25 pm »

Establishing a roadside inn is one of the starting scenarios Toady is looking at for that section of the dev plans. This would probably involve fewer migrants (you'd likely have employees and people looking for jobs), no sieges, trouble with patrons, especially bandit-y ones, and so on.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: January 23, 2015, 04:41:17 pm »

I don't know, I imagine bandits would be fairly nice as patrons of a tavern. Why do they steal except to live a good life?

Damn am I excited for this, mostly because of the multi-racial fortress thing. I wonder if troll bouncers are possible? Blind cave ogre bouncers? Ettins?
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 306