Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1831565 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1200 on: January 25, 2015, 03:24:34 am »

I dunno, I like the idea of a fortress elf that gives us grown items we can use to trade with other elves.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 25, 2015, 03:58:09 am »

Perhaps that would require a large elf population or elf with the right knowledge. Or perhaps it's something related to elf sites that can't be replicated outside them. Before any of that we need Toady to decide how exactly elfs grow wood. No pun intended.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: January 25, 2015, 05:50:08 am »

Are there plans to expand the current list of musical instruments? It's pretty limited at one percussion, one string, and three wind instruments.
I think the new devlog indirectly answers this question now - Toady mentioned that there would be four instrument skills, versus the three types of instrument already in the game. So presumably, there'll be at least one keyboard instrument. Should be interesting, considering most could count as furniture that has to be built.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1203 on: January 25, 2015, 07:31:10 am »

Are there plans to expand the current list of musical instruments? It's pretty limited at one percussion, one string, and three wind instruments.
I think the new devlog indirectly answers this question now - Toady mentioned that there would be four instrument skills, versus the three types of instrument already in the game. So presumably, there'll be at least one keyboard instrument. Should be interesting, considering most could count as furniture that has to be built.
Dwarven Pipe Organ Mega Projects Go.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 25, 2015, 07:34:33 am »

Not quite, because an elf that is part of a Dwarven entity has Dwarven ethics, and presumably has access to the same technology and techniques. An elf (probably) doesn't know how to grow wood from birth, and even if they did Dwarven culture would likely view this ability as useless outside of a few niche applications.

Not if the elf came in as an adult migrant with existing skills and ethics. These elves might then raise their children as elves as well, leaving possibility for cultural intolerance, racism, inquisition and so on.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: January 25, 2015, 07:55:10 am »

Dwarven Pipe Organ Mega Projects Go.

Yeah. They'l be steam-powered as well - put a boiler room on the bottom of the pipe organ, fill it with water, put a magma man inside it (Or a bin with !!lignite!! inside), enjoy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: January 25, 2015, 08:28:51 am »

Looks like Toady One answered my question about musical instruments with the latest devlog.

Also, bouncing off the current devlog:
Could tavern visitors potentially introduce other forms of poetry/music/dance with x chance of it catching on or someone getting inspired by it?

Also, will the tavern visitors occasionally pick up an instrument (assuming you have the one they want) and start playing or do their own singing or poetry? Would be great to see those from cultures besides that of our dwarves culture.

He also talks about stats and even a generator for the instruments, so yes, that pretty much got answered.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:41:50 am by smjjames »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: January 25, 2015, 09:08:35 am »

He also talks about stats and even a generator for the instruments, so yes, that pretty much got answered.

ChurnDweller the Luxurious Beard of Loathing. This is a monstrous construction twisted into the form of a wind instrument. It menaces with spikes of bituminous coal. Beware it's mournful wail! Now you will know why you fear the nighttime revelry!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: January 25, 2015, 10:28:33 am »

With the new break system, will dwarves make friends/grudges more frequently now?

Will artifact instruments have any unique quality or effect when played?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: January 25, 2015, 11:36:12 am »

Huh. I guess it could be an instrument generator. I took it that the music generator would instead be informed by the instrument stats in the civilization.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Pseudopuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: January 25, 2015, 04:47:49 pm »

Does the new entertainment stuff apply to adventurers? Will I be able to play as a bard soon?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: January 25, 2015, 05:19:47 pm »

Does the new entertainment stuff apply to adventurers? Will I be able to play as a bard soon?
It might not happen in the first release (then again, it might), but if it doesn't, it should happen soon enough thereafter. Toady seems determined to manage the tavern stuff in two or three releases (I had predicted at least four releases), so either way you should get to play a bard relatively soon.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: January 25, 2015, 08:03:31 pm »

Quote from: Toady (devlog)
There will be both knowledge and skill-based components to this -- so you can't compose a poem of a variety you aren't familiar with, no matter how good you are, but once you learn the rules, the quality will depend on your skills/atts.
By what process will knowledge of poetic forms be acquired? Will skill affect how quickly a character picks it up?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: January 25, 2015, 10:20:33 pm »

Will we also be getting combat styles and per-weapon skills/attributes, similar to instruments?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 26, 2015, 12:40:37 am »

Will we also be getting combat styles and per-weapon skills/attributes, similar to instruments?

He literally says that it's something that he and Zach had planned. We'll probably get those in another development session when he is looking into combat stuff, which he isn't atm.

Here's a question that is somewhat less dev related and more fun:
Of the poem varieties/styles/forms that you're adding, what's your favorite?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:49:50 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 306