Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834152 times)

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1275 on: January 31, 2015, 04:55:26 pm »

I'd like to see something similar to TWBT integrated into the core where graphics can be assigned to item types and materials. Basically, anywhere DF has to look up the color or character for a tile, allow graphics to intercept that. Currently, there's a way to do that for creatures, but no way for me to make an up-down staircase have a different tile than a floodgate or prevent those graphics from being used when the letter X is used in a textual context.

Until then, I'm sticking with either the default CP437 tiles or TWBT if I really want to use a custom tileset.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: January 31, 2015, 06:01:26 pm »

This is not the place for suggestions. Besides, moving to Unicode would require rewriting a large portion of the display code that relies on 8-bit display tiles.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: January 31, 2015, 06:18:55 pm »

This may be a little suggestion-y but I'll toss it in here and people can feel free to shoot it down if it is, but I'm legitimately curious if it's planned to be looked at.  With the look into the multi tile critters and the pathfinding changes that will require, were there any thoughts on tackling other parts of the pathfinding that is a bit lackluster? Like flier pathfinding, or things like one way or grasp_required kinds of pathfinding that came up back when ropes for climbing was mentioned?

And second just in-case that first one does get thrown out.  Will races without alcohol_dependent eventually take offence when visiting your fortress if there is no water whatsoever available, or will they perfectly happy to drink mug after mug like water like our dwarves do?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: January 31, 2015, 08:40:13 pm »

And second just in-case that first one does get thrown out.  Will races without alcohol_dependent eventually take offence when visiting your fortress if there is no water whatsoever available, or will they perfectly happy to drink mug after mug like water like our dwarves do?
Historically, water was unsafe to drink, so booze, possibly watered down, was the norm. Maybe elves wouldn't mind drinking crudely filtered swamp water, but it hardly seems right for them to expect it.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: January 31, 2015, 09:43:41 pm »

Water wasnt unsafe to drink, people drank booze because it tastes good, it was the coke of medieval times. Also the booze argument doesnt hold up if you have to make booze with water because you need some kind of base, so you will have all your heavy metals and stuff in your booze. With the alcohol concentrations of around 3-6% in beers you cant kill many of the natural bacteria that would settle in beer (actually for that effect you should go north of 20%) after its opened, thats why people added hops later (which we still need iirc) because it keeps the beer form spoiling.

here is an good Article on the issue

Another issue would be that many Asians and American Natives cant (generally) hold theyr liquor because they hadnt developed any cooping mechanism for alcohol. Did those people get more sick? Were they dying left and right because of either drunkenness or to much water? I would guess not ;)

edit: as further point, in medieval Germany the right to brew beer was given out by the King (Baron, duke whatever) and most often only big cities or certain wealthy families could get that right. There was even a so called Beerwar between Görlitz ind Zittau in the Lusitanean league. If beer and booze would have been so essential to survival this whole Setup wouldnt have existed but everyone would have been allowed to brew. Instead beer was a lowgrade luxury and trading it sometimes including long distances was profitable. That would have happened if you children and LIfestock would have died left and right.
Speaking of which, lifestock, your fricking cows drank water every day, if the water was so seriously bad then these should die too.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:56:58 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

EternallySlaying

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: February 01, 2015, 01:09:44 am »

Unboiled water is potentially unsafe to drink. The only reason unboiled water from a faucet is usually "safe" to drink today is because chemicals are added (like chlorine), and the pipes are pressurized and cut off from the environment. Alcohol keeps longer than boiled water as well, lowering the amount of fire-starting materials you need to carry or find while traveling. Livestock are now medicated with lots of antibiotics now as well to avoid disease in herds.

With the advent of Taverns, will some people who come in be lone/small groups of merchants? Obviously if they start coming in force as soon as you declare a tavern zone, it would mean a constant supply of things for rock goods; but if they only came with enough export profit, it could balance.

With music and such, will some people sell services for goods. Like paying for a performance(s) with trinkets, or for a traveling weaponsmith to work for roughly 10% of what he makes (or some other agreed upon condition)? On that note, if you have a renowned legendary flute-dwarf, can you sell his services for goods?

I read earlier that music can increase the bravery of dwarves, assuming this is true, Will we be able to assign military music dwarves? So we can march in to the beat of the drum British style, or a flute Spartan style?

edit: had stupid thought petting my cat... COULD WE HAVE CATS BE INSTRUMENTS? A dwarf could pet it to make it purr, and change the rate of petting to change the pitch of the purr. The cat could decide to just leave, causing riots as the music stops, or could scratch attackers when brought to battle. Finally an important way to use cats. Scamps could !!code!! this himself!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:40:52 am by EternallySlaying »
Scamps could !!code!! this himself!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: February 01, 2015, 06:36:17 am »

People did drink water in the past. They also suffered regularly from dysentery, cholera, sweating sickness, and other illnesses caused by drinking dirty water. Running water, and that produced by melting ice or snow, was usually safe, but wells contaminated by dead animals or sewage could easily wipe out most of a village. Deaths by disease and starvation were so common that they were the main reason population did not rise above a certain level.

Livestock, especially then, were not usually very healthy specimens, being full of parasites and weak compared to their modern, selectively bred counterparts. Murrain (disease of cattle and sheep) killed huge numbers of animals throughout the Middle Ages.

While it is easy to exaggerate how dangerous drinking water was, it was only sensible to do so frequently if the source was clean (a spring, or melted snow). Still water could be safe to drink, but if an animal died in the water and was not dragged away or eaten quickly then it could soon become very nasty indeed. Past people and animals were often ill and frequent pestilences kept population down.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: February 01, 2015, 10:35:19 am »

And the above is why a dwarf gets bad thoughts from drinking stagnant water, and cleaning their wounds with stagnant water can cause infections. It's the start of a larger framework of disease and medicine that isn't in yet.
So, bringing it full circle to the original question:
They may or may not be unhappy if there's no water being served in your tavern, but they're definitely going to be unhappy if the only water you've got available is stagnant 'murky pool' water.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: February 01, 2015, 10:40:58 am »

A dwarf would not ask for water in a tavern. ETHIC: ASK_FOR_WATER_IN_TAVERN: UNTHINKABLE.

Humans and elves might want some, in which case the purity might become an issue.

On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: February 01, 2015, 10:43:21 am »

The original question I was answering was about non-dwarven visitors.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: February 01, 2015, 10:44:39 am »

Cleaning wounds with booze should also be an option, and non fruit based alcohol should require water to brew.

For old times' sake.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: February 01, 2015, 10:47:00 am »

Cleaning wounds with booze should also be an option, and non fruit based alcohol should require water to brew.
These are suggestions that have been around for years.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: February 01, 2015, 02:27:51 pm »

Then that is all the more reason for them to be added at last. They are fairly well supported.

For old times' sake.

eternaleye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: February 01, 2015, 05:04:19 pm »

One thing regarding Unicode is that there's a good bit of variation in what that can mean:

1.) Direct mapped to single codepoints
In this case, Toady'd be using it the same way he currently uses ASCII - one cell is one character; you just have a bigger menu to choose from. This might allow, say, ☭ for elves if Toady decided it. However, it could at least give us mechanisms as ⚙, the various arrows for minecart route designations (maybe ➿ for rollers?),  coffins as ⚰, a proper pick character in ⛏, chains ⛓...

2.) Indirect mapped from IDs to codepoints
Toady gives IDs to things that can occupy a graphical cell, and those are then mapped (likely in a moddable way) to Unicode codepoints, which are then displayed. With this, users could individually decide that elves should show up as ☭ (I so would).

3.) Indirect mapped from IDs to graphemes
Toady creates IDs for things that can occupy a graphical cell, and then the mapping is to graphemes - single visual units that may be made of multiple codepoints, generally as base + list of combining characters. This would allow you to have, say, Forgotten Beasts be represented as their base character with a strange combining character (or several) - for instance, a cat of ash with an extra eye? Gray c͒

4.) Indirect mapped via display-engine-specific abstraction
Here, each backend (text, SDL, etc) would specify what it can display in a tile; it instantiates the first ID mapping that can support it. This could thus do ASCII on non-unicode terminals, Unicode on uxterm, rendered Unicode or (if configured) a tileset on SDL, etc. Might be implemented using SFINAE, or otherwise.

Also, as far as "needing more tiles", there's a very good set of libraries for rendering text to an in-memory image that support unicode: In particular, Pango + Harfbuzz + Freetype. Arbitrary unicode-based tiles could be rendered from fonts on the fly. (This might make adding custom tilesets _easier_ in some ways; drop in a font.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 05:30:18 pm by eternaleye »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: February 01, 2015, 05:41:30 pm »

Wouldn't as it is right now be the easiest way? I.E, there's a CREATURE_TILE/CASTE_TILE token which is used to assign tiles by number, so that a creature with tile 195 will have ├ as its tile (or with Unicode, Ã (assuming it uses base 10 instead of base 16 as it does now))
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 306