Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834274 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1380 on: February 15, 2015, 06:52:48 am »

Can i dare to hope that Dwarf fortress procedurally generates and plays "midi"-files with songs the various cultures have writen?
Surely you're not expecting anything other than a "No" here?

The dwarven "language" isn't, having only a few random words, no grammar, and no words for things that dwarves encounter every day. A whole RAWS system for grammar and more words could be given by modders to Toady and implemented if he cannot be bothered to do it.
"cannot be bothered to do it"? Where did you get that idea? Toady plans to do a large language overhaul, it just isn't happening anytime soon.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #1381 on: February 15, 2015, 07:19:31 am »

I foresee that Dwarven poetry thread suddenly taking a spike in popularity as people attempt to fill in the blanks regarding a Dwarven sonnet concerning tetrahedrite and the hills of vomit, or an Elven villanelle about the joys of cannibalism.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: February 15, 2015, 09:23:52 am »

Toady has stated before that languages are not his speciality and he may want to delegate them to somebody in the community who is better with such things. If this is in the next release, he may want to look to modders to help him with language raws.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: February 15, 2015, 01:07:30 pm »

I hope he will. For once that "we", players, can help him and do something.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that poetry and music in a game (has it already been in any game before?) is really wonderful. Thank you Toady !

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: February 15, 2015, 01:24:55 pm »

He'll listen to our suggestions, of course, but as far as I remember, he nowhere even hinted at anything other than the usual - he and Threetoe working on it together, researching the issues they're not familiar with, and so on. He'd have to vet any fan work anyway to make sure it's up to standards.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: February 15, 2015, 02:04:00 pm »

Can i dare to hope that Dwarf fortress procedurally generates and plays "midi"-files with songs the various cultures have writen?
Surely you're not expecting anything other than a "No" here?

Eh random/procedural poetry sounded like a pipedream before, music is similar but more on the emotional and not in the informational side coupled to cultural experience and such - although with both, language and music, modern computers have theyr problems.
Yet there are certain rules  and patterns that govern it, i would think, after all modern Rock or classic sinfonias cause the same emotions in sourthamerican natives as they do in fat European Westerns. 

Sure that question is on the extreme side but as a whole DF is pretty much on the extreme side :P
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: February 15, 2015, 11:35:51 pm »

A poetic riddle intended to complain about someone recently deceased, originating in The Amber Relic. The poem is two to three couplets. Forms of parallelism are common throughout the poem, in that certain lines often share an underlying meaning and they sometimes have reversed word orders. The ending of every line of the poem rhymes with every other. The second line of each couplet presents a different view of the subject of the first line. The first line has six syllables. The second line has ten syllables.

An entire poetic form about complaining in riddles about the recently dead? Now there's an interesting cultural clue...
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: February 16, 2015, 12:21:46 am »

There are several problems to work out (sometimes it demanded some specific hundreds of thousands of stanzas).

Dwarf Fortress might have the honor of being the first game where a bug briefly caused wagnerian operas to be randomly generated.

When the language overhaul gets done and Toady's old threat to generate the poems themselves becomes feasible, those infinite monkeys trying to rewrite shakespeare are gonna have some competition.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: February 16, 2015, 01:14:37 am »

A poetic riddle intended to complain about someone recently deceased, originating in The Amber Relic. ...

An entire poetic form about complaining in riddles about the recently dead? Now there's an interesting cultural clue...

Perhaps because the dead might actually be listening?  "Yeah, Uncle Urist was always really unstable, seems he'd go berserk at the slightest provocation.  I hated that, and him. ... What do you mean, who is that behind me?  AAAAUGHH!" (Violent Ghost tears off complainer's limb...)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: February 16, 2015, 06:58:22 am »

I like how some of these descriptions feel like poetic logic puzzles. If I was any good at regular poetry I'd take a stab at trying to solve some of these.

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: February 16, 2015, 12:47:41 pm »

Oh man

This whole thing about poetry and music makes me more anxious every day!

But think about it:with the addition of randomly generated poetry,music,art and religion in the next update,it means that Dwarf Fortress will not only create amazing worlds and histories but it will also create unique randomly generated CULTURES as well.

So maybe if we remove all the fantasy stuff,add the economy system back again and hope that the culture stuff is not broken in the next update....maybe we could use DF to simulate real life stuff?Could DF be used to simulate real life worlds?

I know it sounds impossible,but it would be cool if was true.

A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: February 16, 2015, 01:07:14 pm »

Will poetry include profanities, ridicule, and erotic themes?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: February 16, 2015, 01:22:08 pm »

Will poetry include profanities, ridicule, and erotic themes?
There are several forms that are ribald (vulgar, sexual) in nature, a few that satirize or complain about a subject, and one that praises a lover (and also is ribald). It seems that's reasonably well-covered, though I guess there's always the potential to add more.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #1393 on: February 16, 2015, 01:54:33 pm »

These descriptions are awesome. I love the comments on stanza, metre, syllabic counts, and the other technical poetic structure/form detail. It's impressive how varied the styles get. Generator has a surprising love of tercets and assonance. So many speak stanzas in the style the serpent.

"The ending of every line of the poem rhymes with every other." - Does this mean it's using an alternating rhyme scheme or more: ABCBDBEB etc?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: February 16, 2015, 02:01:57 pm »

These descriptions are awesome. I love the comments on stanza, metre, syllabic counts, and the other technical poetic structure/form detail. It's impressive how varied the styles get. Generator has a surprising love of tercets and assonance. So many speak stanzas in the style the serpent.

"The ending of every line of the poem rhymes with every other." - Does this mean it's using an alternating rhyme scheme or more: ABCBDBEB etc?
I read that as AAAAAAAAAAA.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 306