Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834166 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1410 on: February 18, 2015, 12:27:26 pm »

Is poetry and music going to stay within te current modern western paradigm? Or might we have things like freestyle, forms that blend poetry and music (like rap) or forms of oppositional poetry like flyting and rap battles?

I know that as an initial release, it's likely to be at its most fundamental, but I'm also interested in the future, and oppositional poetry (or music, like rock-offs or the dixie style of dueling banjos and whatnot) seems like really great fodder for interesting stories.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: February 18, 2015, 04:12:31 pm »

-snip-
( music, like rock-offs or the dixie style of dueling banjos and whatnot) seems like really great fodder for interesting stories.

I must agree, especially considering how frequent musical challenges are in some mythologies.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: February 18, 2015, 04:44:35 pm »

-snip-
( music, like rock-offs or the dixie style of dueling banjos and whatnot) seems like really great fodder for interesting stories.

I must agree, especially considering how frequent musical challenges are in some mythologies.
The demon went down to Bur-Cabor the Trees of Pitch, he was looking for a soul to steal.
He was in a bind 'cos he was way behind and he was willin' to make a deal.
When he came across this young man sawin' on a fiddle and playin' it hot.
And the demon jumped upon a hickory stump and said: "Boy let me tell you what:
"I guess you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
"And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.
"Now you play a pretty good fiddle, boy, but give this demon his due:
"I bet a fiddle of gold against your soul, 'cos I think I'm better than you."
The boy said: "My name's Urist and it might be a sin,
"But I'll take your bet, your gonna regret, 'cos I'm the best that's ever been."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: February 18, 2015, 08:47:55 pm »

12000 verses into the song, the boy then died of exhaustion and the Devil won. It was inevitable.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: February 18, 2015, 09:44:18 pm »

This is a crap poem written by some shmuck dying of thirst on a glacier because he was too stupid to try warming ice beside a campfire.

It is full of spelling errors and any rhymes are completely accidental. It has been written in a circular form due to a misunderstanding involving the accidental inclusion of the number pi in the verse number from a popular type of epic in the southern lands.

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust the plump helmet! ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: February 20, 2015, 11:42:22 pm »

Currently there are many materials, reactions and nearly all workshops hardcoded. The glass industry might be a good example. Are there any plans to un-hardcode some of those? Also any plans to enable multi-level workshops for modding? I mean by that to be able to mod in a workship with a multi-level-structure similar to the metalsmith forge, where you first select a material (Iron, Steel, ...), then a category (weapon, armour, ...) and finally a product (short sword, axe, ...).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: February 21, 2015, 12:17:51 am »

Currently there are many materials, reactions and nearly all workshops hardcoded. The glass industry might be a good example. Are there any plans to un-hardcode some of those? Also any plans to enable multi-level workshops for modding? I mean by that to be able to mod in a workship with a multi-level-structure similar to the metalsmith forge, where you first select a material (Iron, Steel, ...), then a category (weapon, armour, ...) and finally a product (short sword, axe, ...).

reactions can now be categorized within shop menus and they can provide information during job selection to stop it all from being overwhelming.

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust the plump helmet! ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: February 21, 2015, 12:53:00 am »

Sounds like it might be already possible within the next update. Cool.  :)

edit: And will this allow to e.g. just define categories like Material X, Material Y, Material Z and Product A, B, C, D, E. And then each of the 5 products will be automatically assigned to each of the 3 categories without having to create fifteen individual reactions?

Was there some statement regarding un-hardcode certain stuff or extend the various stockpile tokens like wood, stone, no-stone-stockpile, etc. too?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:16:00 am by Urist McGoombaBrother »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: February 21, 2015, 02:03:47 am »

You can already do that with GET_ITEM_DATA_FROM_REAGENT and GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: February 22, 2015, 10:26:31 am »

Will banquets be an aspect of the new entertainment system? When agriculture is given a new look, will there be a harvest feast? What about religious banquets?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: February 22, 2015, 10:58:59 am »

Will banquets be an aspect of the new entertainment system? When agriculture is given a new look, will there be a harvest feast? What about religious banquets?
So far we've heard nothing that says that feasts and banquets are part of the tavern updates, but the old dev page mentioned them for the better parties bloat, so if they aren't part of the tavern updates, they should come into play some time:
Bloat92, BETTER PARTIES, (Future): Official and commemorative parties. If it is a party for a unit, they can invite friends and family. If it is an official party, it can start from the top nobles and go down. There can be organized feasts and so on.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: February 22, 2015, 11:37:30 pm »

Man has it been ages since I bothered to log in :(

Anyway I came with purpose:
Is there any intent at this point to integrate elements of the poetic form generator with the music generator for lyrical styles when voice is called for in the song format?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: February 23, 2015, 05:44:17 am »

Man has it been ages since I bothered to log in :(

Anyway I came with purpose:
Is there any intent at this point to integrate elements of the poetic form generator with the music generator for lyrical styles when voice is called for in the song format?

I think this quote answers your question:

Quote from: smjjames
Will they also sing along to the music? You know, like drinking songs, or just folksy songs, or even bard songs.

Yeah, singing.  It's going to be tied to the poetic forms as well.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: February 23, 2015, 09:40:38 am »

DF Data structure question: Could you list what the 16 historical figure flags refer to?  Based on work from the DFHack team we know that bit 3 flags a deity, 4 a force, and 8 a ghost.  The rest are unknown but I've been doing some digging and I know that all the other bits are in use (except possibly 1, 2, and 5)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:44:25 am by Mason11987 »

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: February 24, 2015, 02:50:36 am »

Are there any plans for a music audio synthesizer, so we can press a button and hear a generated song in-game? Or be able to see the individual notes of the song? Or are songs not that in-depth?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:33:00 am by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 306