Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834478 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1425 on: February 24, 2015, 11:47:51 am »

Are there any plans for a music audio synthesizer, so we can press a button and hear a generated song in-game? Or be able to see the individual notes of the song? Or are songs not that in-depth?
Just like poems, songs are not going to be that in-depth. It'd be even harder to get them right.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: February 25, 2015, 08:23:37 pm »

Are there any plans for a music audio synthesizer, so we can press a button and hear a generated song in-game? Or be able to see the individual notes of the song? Or are songs not that in-depth?
Just like poems, songs are not going to be that in-depth. It'd be even harder to get them right.
Yeah, in hindsight that did seem kind of a ridiculous expectation.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: February 26, 2015, 07:05:45 am »

I guess eventually we'll have actual words on the poems and music on the songs (so far only descriptions of them). By eventually I mean in a few years or decades. It would be really, really interesting however.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: February 26, 2015, 02:29:05 pm »

And there is still the manual option of breaking out the ol' acoustic guitar and letting out some chords to generate the song being outlined as well. Honestly that sounds like a fun meta-game in itself to me. :)   
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: February 26, 2015, 03:56:31 pm »

And there is still the manual option of breaking out the ol' acoustic guitar and letting out some chords to generate the song being outlined as well. Honestly that sounds like a fun meta-game in itself to me. :)   

I look forward to hearing people's take on the various songs!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: February 26, 2015, 04:22:05 pm »

I look forward to hearing people's take on the various songs!

5 internets for the first to post a song played on the correct Dwarven instrument.
This is a granite 9-string, it menaces with spikes of alpaca wool...   

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: February 26, 2015, 08:20:24 pm »

Well there are some autocomposing (List on wikipedia) programs out there (maybe even libraries?) so if we can export the descriptions and a bit of context one could maybe use a 3rd party program to generate the songs and then reimport them to soundsense.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: February 26, 2015, 11:34:46 pm »

Well there are some autocomposing (List on wikipedia) programs out there (maybe even libraries?) so if we can export the descriptions and a bit of context one could maybe use a 3rd party program to generate the songs and then reimport them to soundsense.
Oh, so that's what pouring magma onto kittens sounds like!
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: February 26, 2015, 11:46:04 pm »

And here are some of the musical forms from a medium world

Whoa. Worth the wait.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 27, 2015, 12:53:16 am »

I have a feeling that I need to brush up on some terminology if I want to make songs in these. I'm actually pretty glad Toady didn't stick to western influences for the music, but on the other hand, aahhhhhhhh.

There will be some challenges ahead.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1435 on: February 27, 2015, 02:50:55 am »

I really hate to say this - I mean, I really feel bad about it - but what relevance does the assonance/dissonance and beat pattern of these music styles have for events in-game? I can't imagine being told I need to find a celebratory song played on sitar with a faint introduction and a high-tempo conclusion with a beat pattern of x x - x |  - x | in order to save the king or something.

Please tell me I'm wrong and this will be a somewhat useful part of the game.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: February 27, 2015, 02:58:58 am »

somewhat useful part of the game.

Well, does the name of the necromancer books or the region you visit, or the color, length of hair and scratching nose and name of the dwarves is important ?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1437 on: February 27, 2015, 03:07:46 am »

somewhat useful part of the game.

Well, does the name of the necromancer books or the region you visit, or the color, length of hair and scratching nose and name of the dwarves is important ?

Names of items and places are essential to identify what NPCs are talking about, and point taken about biographical details... but still, if you're telling a story about a game, you might pause to tell your audience that the dwarf who was swinging around that masterwork sock had long blond hair, but you probably aren't going to mention the musical stylings of a fort nearly as frequently.

I suppose it's subjective. For me, song detail beyond "it's an upbeat song played on stone bongos" is more fine-grained than I can imagine using.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: February 27, 2015, 03:36:29 am »

...Since when was music playing not an extremely important part of tavern work? Taverns without music is like dwarves without booze. Sure, it's not the forefront of dwarven culture, but it's important.

Also, since when was

save the king or something.

ever what the game was about? It's a fantasy world simulator. It generates cultures. Music styles are a ludicrously, ridiculously, incredibly important part of culture. I cannot emphasize this enough. I am not sure if there's a single culture on the planet Earth that does not have music as a part of its culture.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: February 27, 2015, 03:38:28 am »

Also, imagine a procedurally generated bardic magic system...

But mostly, I'm looking forwards to seeing fans attempting to create instances of their fortress's music.  The poetry that's come out so far has already been superb.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 306