Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1839634 times)

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1620 on: March 23, 2015, 04:20:05 pm »

Will Kobolds dance in the next update? In the raws they seem to not understand the concept of music but Koblds must have some way to express joy when they successfully steal treasure.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: March 23, 2015, 11:46:14 pm »

Will the new knowledge "tech forest" be accessible in the RAWs?

If I think up a new fantasy philosophy, can I have the philosophers in game discover it?  Or when the history department at my local IRL university thinks up a new historiography method, do we have to wait for it to be hard coded in or can we just add it to the RAWs ourselves?

For that matter, what about ideas that aren't just ambiguously correct, but are clearly wrong?  People wrote books and chased down clearly false ideas plenty of times in history. It's a part of science too, to propose an idea that might not work out.

Seeing a civilization that, for example, firmly believes in the physicality of darkness (and light being the lack of said darkness) would be fascinating.  Or seeing libraries devoted to a false idea that side tracked all their researchers into not being able to develop a particular technology would be amazing.

Two reasons a civilization might not have a technology-- either they aren't studying, or they're studying the wrong things.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:52:22 pm by Fieari »

MrTimms

• Bay Watcher
  • It is terrifying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: March 24, 2015, 12:44:06 am »

If I think up a new fantasy philosophy, can I have the philosophers in game discover it?  Or when the history department at my local IRL university thinks up a new historiography method, do we have to wait for it to be hard coded in or can we just add it to the RAWs ourselves?

Please, based Toady.
The vast majority of the bandits were apparently hiding in the trees because after my first few moves the majority of them fell out of their trees breaking limbs and horribly wounding themselves.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: March 24, 2015, 05:59:01 am »

Have you heard about weighted A* search which introduces a constant factor w (with w > 1) to A*'s admissible heuristic to improve execution time by trading off the optimality of the results to be no worse than w times the optimal solution ?

Suggestions go to the Suggestion Forum. There have many threads about path finding. Necro one or start a new one.

I might just do that but it'll end up being quite long. I'd prefer not to waste his (and my) time by writing too much about things he is already aware off.
In the interest of saving everyone's time I think this is a perfectly valid yes/no-question before writing a long and formal suggestion post. And I've tried my best to keep it simple without sounding like I'm suggesting he should do x or y.

Weighted A* is one of these basic concepts quite a few other things are based on. To my surprise it seems to be rare to encounter it outside of lectures on autonomous robotics/driving but to assume he never heard of them feels like underestimating Toady.

To put a wrap on this: I'm almost entirely sure that Dwarf Fortress already uses weighted A*, at least based on the fact that pathing has various weights that you can adjust in-game, with the default being 2.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: March 24, 2015, 06:15:50 am »

To put a wrap on this: I'm almost entirely sure that Dwarf Fortress already uses weighted A*, at least based on the fact that pathing has various weights that you can adjust in-game, with the default being 2.

He was talking about a particular enhancement which does not produce optimal paths but runs faster than A*. Fun fact: you can actually prove that the only way to make A* faster (explore fewer vertices) without sometimes getting suboptimal paths is by using a better distance heuristic. The proof is on wikipedia if you're interested.

For users: decrease the Normal path cost to 1 in your forts to make A* faster. DF uses the High traffic designation weight in the distance heuristic, so if actual path weights are closer to that, it will explore fewer vertices.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: March 24, 2015, 06:30:18 am »

Looks like tech tree will be partally procedurally generated? At least, if history knowledge is considered, well, "knowledge", it would have to be not only procedural (not created upfront and set in stone), but also dynamic (changing with time).

And about false knowledge... this is pretty hard topic, as you can be mistaken in gazilion ways. In fact, humanity is always mistaken - it just gets less wrong with time. Fortunately, it is enough.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: March 24, 2015, 07:45:38 am »

So will people still write books about other people's books about other people's books about mugs?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: March 24, 2015, 07:50:03 am »

I wouldn't be surprised if we get books about themselves.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: March 24, 2015, 07:58:37 am »

I wouldn't be surprised if we get books about themselves.

This is "on the self" a gold bound book. It menaces with spikes of ruby. The book details the creation of itself, it as often praised by scholars for its tendency to stir self reflection in the reader.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: March 24, 2015, 08:04:46 am »

It's pretty unlikely for this time around. Raws will apparently influence the available topics so we get books like "Anatomy of the Magma Crab" or "Caring for your Plump Helmet farm", but I'd expect that RAWification of innovations will have to wait until (or even until after) the innovations affect what the civ can do.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Urist_McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: March 24, 2015, 11:16:24 am »

that implies some investigators will need to be at least well-read if not skilled in various topics (there aren't currently joint research projects).
Does that mean that, eventually, we will have hunters that have read books about specific critters and know how they usually act in a state of terror? I.e. that we will have hunters that do not run up next to an elephant before it has dealt a lethal blow?

If so; will this be expanded upon to enable hunters/players to aim for lethal points in sentient creatures/critters, if they've read a book about the biology of, say, humans?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: March 24, 2015, 01:03:21 pm »

Will Kobolds dance in the next update? In the raws they seem to not understand the concept of music but Koblds must have some way to express joy when they successfully steal treasure.

They might not be able to sing, but damn can they dance!

Alternatively, their expression of joy may be obnoxious screaming.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: March 24, 2015, 02:22:32 pm »

With the 1400 cut-off date, could we expect world-gen ruins that hint at more advanced things you can't be build by any of the civs?

I mean things at most like hints of how the ancient Romans had a gear-like computer for guessing stars, and ancient Egyptians understood steam power, but wheres just at novelty levels?

Also, for elves and dwarves, I could see either or both knowing a lot about sound like the ancient Maya, who had temples that could turn the sound of clapping into the sound of a bird. The acoustic understanding would fit dwarves living in winding, underground places. Elves, it would fit their nature and such in a  more natural way.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: March 24, 2015, 10:37:28 pm »

How will people discover new knowledge at the beginning of time? Will worldgen just create wisemen who then write books or pass on teachings through teacher/apprentice relationships? Or will gods n' demons grant the knowledge?

I kind of like the idea at the moment where one badass ranger journeys into the depths of the world and tames the giant olms through sheer force of will.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: March 25, 2015, 12:06:29 am »

Will scribes make copies of important books to distribute them, possibly to other libraries across the world?
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 306