Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1839432 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1890 on: May 14, 2015, 05:44:45 pm »

I believe Toady's said that the main point of running taverns is currently for fun, and people visiting the tavern won't actually be paying for anything. Though, I guess past fun now that adventurers can visit your tavern it could be a source of non-dwarven soldiers which has practical uses.
I can imagine setting up a tavern in the exterior of a fortress in an evil region would be certainly very fun with various undead animals showing up, dead tavern visitor raising regularly into undeath and new visitor to fight, without mentionning some evil clouds moving around the tavern for more husk-ification hilarity.

That lead me to ask
Will visitors decide to never put a foot anymore into a tavern when the death toll start to increase ?

I imagine it must not be very tempting to travel all the way to a backward tavern famous for the myriads of corpses lying around it and your fellow tavern goers murdered horribly by husks and undead giant sperm whales jumping around.

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: May 14, 2015, 06:21:52 pm »

Since visitors will be visiting local "establishments", will minting currency have a greater purpose than just to be used as an export item?

I'm not exactly sure what the exchange rate would be, like 1 golden coin for 10k elven bark currency notes? If this is even how it's going to work.

I can just see a possible expansion of the use of currency in this next update as a likely next step. Money for furniture/weapons/food/beer/bounties and whatnot.
I believe Toady's said that the main point of running taverns is currently for fun, and people visiting the tavern won't actually be paying for anything. Though, I guess past fun now that adventurers can visit your tavern it could be a source of non-dwarven soldiers which has practical uses.

I knew that, I just was wondering what could possibly happen in the future. If I were a tavern keeper, I wouldn't keep serving freeloaders. I know it takes time to implement though.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: May 14, 2015, 07:38:03 pm »

They will pay for it with a poem. Poetry will become the currency of the DF world and everyone will be singing for their supper.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: May 14, 2015, 08:38:17 pm »

We still have the barter system with dorfbucks, couldn't they just use a Trade Depot as if it was a small store?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: May 15, 2015, 07:38:24 am »

Music, a very important part of Dwarf culture.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: May 15, 2015, 06:41:14 pm »

Music, a very important part of Dwarf culture.

It's a real Chillaxe!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: May 15, 2015, 09:44:26 pm »

PTW
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: May 15, 2015, 10:59:17 pm »

Will there be any 'compatability' problems for multispecies forts other than culture?

Will elves and humans get vitamin D deficiency from being underground too long? Will carnivorous animal people get sick from eating only plump helmets?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:01:55 pm by Thursday Postal »

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: May 16, 2015, 01:16:00 am »

Will there be any 'compatability' problems for multispecies forts other than culture?
Todays hint seems that yes, there will be compatability problems for creatures that have ethics different than your own. Probably in a way a dwarf can walk past a creature in a cage, and get a bad/good thought from It.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: May 16, 2015, 02:40:05 am »

Will elves and humans get vitamin D deficiency from being underground too long? Will carnivorous animal people get sick from eating only plump helmets?

While Vitamin D isnt modelled there could always be a thought similar to the one dorfs have for being aboveground, same goes for food. None of these were mentioned/confirmed yet as far as i remember.

Food poisoning and food related effects arent in yet but can be added by modding with syndromes, creating a "carnivore"-critterclass and adding a related syndrome to all plants should do the trick. The syndrome framework was created with these things in mind.

Another problem that i potentially can see is that dwarfs get bad thoughts or develop negative reactions to furries Animalpeople based on their related basespecies. Say a dwarf detastes goats he could also react badly to Goatpeople if they are created with the [CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON] template and the goat raws. Which begs a good question:

Does a dwarfs Preferences/revulsions for a certain animal extend to its variations e.g. Giant-animals and Animalpeople? 
Question answered by Putnam, thank you!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 05:11:15 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: May 16, 2015, 02:47:43 am »

As of right now, no, since giant people and animal people are entirely separate creatures.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: May 16, 2015, 04:24:35 am »

does the changes about ethics mean that adopted humans can now do high boots at our dwarven workshops?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: May 16, 2015, 05:14:37 am »

does the changes about ethics mean that adopted humans can now do high boots at our dwarven workshops?
I don't really see where ethics and high boots connect. Anyway, until the knowledge system expands to more things, it's most likely that the non-dwarf citizens that work for you can only do what your civilization can, even if their birth civ can't. So if your civilization has no ability to craft high boots, you likely won't be able to hire outsiders to do it for you amd/or steal their secret techniques of high boot crafting.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Nibblewerfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: May 16, 2015, 08:40:22 am »

With the ability for jobs like butchering to affect the creature based on its ethics will elves be able to butcher a sentient corpse if given the task if they are a member of your fortress or will they attempt not to offend the dwarves?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: May 16, 2015, 02:05:03 pm »

With the ability for jobs like butchering to affect the creature based on its ethics will elves be able to butcher a sentient corpse if given the task if they are a member of your fortress or will they attempt not to offend the dwarves?
There has been no talk about fortress entities refusing to do labors they have set. So probably not.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 306