Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834230 times)

Souleater17

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGEL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1905 on: May 16, 2015, 03:00:41 pm »

Will visitors be able to pursue romantic relationships with other visitors and the permanent residents of your fortress?

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: May 16, 2015, 04:01:25 pm »

With the ability for jobs like butchering to affect the creature based on its ethics will elves be able to butcher a sentient corpse if given the task if they are a member of your fortress or will they attempt not to offend the dwarves?
Questions are supposed to be in green.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: May 16, 2015, 08:48:21 pm »

With the ability for jobs like butchering to affect the creature based on its ethics will elves be able to butcher a sentient corpse if given the task if they are a member of your fortress or will they attempt not to offend the dwarves?

There has been no talk about fortress entities refusing to do labors they have set. So probably not.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: May 16, 2015, 11:19:52 pm »

There has been no talk about fortress entities refusing to do labors they have set. So probably not.
You just answered this a second time and the question still isn't anything to do with refusing labors... 

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: May 17, 2015, 01:29:27 am »

the magic 8-ball points to yes, as they keep their ethics. If you slap [CIV_PLAYABLE] under the elf civ and start a fort with them they have no problem butchering sentients right? The code is there already.

Toady mentioned that just because a human can forge iron high boots, your fort can't just start teaching the secrets of high boot production. But i think the difference for this case is that [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE] is a core ethic where forging with specific reagents is it's own system, with it's own separate tags. 

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:47:31 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: May 17, 2015, 03:04:09 am »

Wouldn't it follow the same principle as as high boots? I don't know anything about the inner workings of DF except what Toady's posted in the Dev log, but it seems to me that a butcher shop in a Dwarf civ's fortress won't ever put out a call to butcher a sentient creature and so there won't be a job for the Elf to do.

Mind you butchering seems to work in a different order to other workshop jobs, so perhaps I'm mistaken.
Looking forward to "Horrified at being served a Goblin roast. x20"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:06:54 am by Shonai_Dweller »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: May 17, 2015, 03:12:09 am »

According to the devlog, it is just the work satisfaction thought that is affected at the moment. So elves may be depressed or angered by chopping trees, for example.

Though if non-dwarven residents can still use their original ethics, then it may be possible for them to butcher, though I wouldn't know for certain. It may rely on the base-civilization's ethics, which may prevent the butchering of sapients entirely.

It's something to look forward to discovering, at the least.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: May 17, 2015, 10:57:18 am »

According to the devlog, it is just the work satisfaction thought that is affected at the moment. So elves may be depressed or angered by chopping trees, for example.

Though if non-dwarven residents can still use their original ethics, then it may be possible for them to butcher, though I wouldn't know for certain. It may rely on the base-civilization's ethics, which may prevent the butchering of sapients entirely.

It's something to look forward to discovering, at the least.

I imagine that civ-playable elven retreats will have horrified dwarven butchers butchering dwarven invader corpses rather than dwarven fortresses being inundated with goblin meat butchered by their elven immigrants.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: May 17, 2015, 11:22:53 am »

Quote from: Toady
We trust you'll respect this new situation in your labor settings.
Yeah.. yeah, sure, yeah... sure.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: May 17, 2015, 11:49:42 am »

So the question is, will things that are forbidden to dwarves due to their ethics be allowed by immigrants, like an elf butcher or cook making sentient creature products? Or did I misunderstand again?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: May 17, 2015, 11:54:07 am »

Forget elven butchers and wood cutters.

Put them in your military, give them metal gear, and watch the goblin guts fly.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: May 17, 2015, 01:10:07 pm »

SNAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: May 18, 2015, 02:59:55 am »

I wonder if this stuff also plays out in Adventure mode when Human civs get random/procedural ethics. Would be damn funny if a Butcher from a Civ A that cant butcher pigs or somesuch works for Civ B, has enough of this shit and start throwing slicing knives. More diverse ethics would be cool for such cases and/or religion relate ethics.

SNAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!

*cant resist* Badger badger badger ...
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: May 18, 2015, 09:04:52 am »

I wonder if this stuff also plays out in Adventure mode when Human civs get random/procedural ethics. Would be damn funny if a Butcher from a Civ A that cant butcher pigs or somesuch works for Civ B, has enough of this shit and start throwing slicing knives. More diverse ethics would be cool for such cases and/or religion relate ethics.

procedural/random ethics? I hope civ ethics can be turned static or variable on a per ethic level in the raws, I usually like to modify my games so no matter how different the cultures of DF are, they can all agree on one thing: baby-snatching and slavery are A-OK.

(It's a great way to get multi-racial factions in world-gen don't judge me)   
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:07:27 am by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: May 18, 2015, 12:49:52 pm »

There is literally no way the random ethics can work except having it in the raws, since humans are the only ones who actually get the randomness.

Also, baby snatching ain't an ethic.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 306