Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1839394 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1920 on: May 18, 2015, 01:01:07 pm »

I'd like to note that it's the values that'll be randomized for humans in the next release. Those are distinct from the ethics. (And I don't think we know for sure if it's one tag for randomizing all values, or a per-value tag that allows mixing fixed and random values) .

Also, the standard migration from LIKES_SITE/TOLERATES_SITE is already doing a lot for creating multi-racial sites in world gen without need for slavery and kidnapping.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: May 18, 2015, 01:05:07 pm »

There is literally no way the random ethics can work except having it in the raws, since humans are the only ones who actually get the randomness.

Also, baby snatching ain't an ethic.

This is what I mean:

I hope it can be set like

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:VARIABLE]
((ect))

Instead of an all encompassing tag like [ETHICS_VARIABLE] or something
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: May 18, 2015, 06:00:16 pm »

Well, setting the tag to variable, if set to be variable, each time it's read would mean that the ethic could change every time the game is started, or any time the variable is read. It's unlikely that keeping the variable... on variable would work, because that means that the entity will have what I can call "severe mood swings" based on their ethics. May be a good thing, but probably not.

Each entity would need to be able to store a separate post randomized variable, which now that I think about it isn't that hard, you'd just need to add a whole extra line (or more) of code to tell the game to keep the set variable.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: May 18, 2015, 06:47:42 pm »

I'd like to note that it's the values that'll be randomized for humans in the next release. Those are distinct from the ethics. (And I don't think we know for sure if it's one tag for randomizing all values, or a per-value tag that allows mixing fixed and random values) .

Also, the standard migration from LIKES_SITE/TOLERATES_SITE is already doing a lot for creating multi-racial sites in world gen without need for slavery and kidnapping.
Yup, simply removing likes site from dark fortresses for gobs gives the dual effect that the populations don't spike into the 10k range, making them far more pleasant to explore as an adventurer, and it encourages them to integrate more widely into the world, leading to lots of interesting multi-racial communities.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: May 18, 2015, 06:53:11 pm »

Each entity totally is able to store separate post randomized variables, since [VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] is already thing.

Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: May 18, 2015, 08:41:50 pm »

There is literally no way the random ethics can work except having it in the raws, since humans are the only ones who actually get the randomness.

Also, baby snatching ain't an ethic.

This is what I mean:

I hope it can be set like

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:VARIABLE]
((ect))

Instead of an all encompassing tag like [ETHICS_VARIABLE] or something
[ETHIC:OATHBREAKING:PUNISH_REPRIMAND-ISH]
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: May 18, 2015, 09:52:56 pm »

[ETHIC:NAUGHTINESS:PUNISH_SPANKING]

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: May 18, 2015, 10:13:39 pm »

So, scholars and scribes. How does it all fit together on a worldwide scale? Is there a system for passing knowledge around from one fort to another or between friendly civilizations?
Scribes will make copies of your codices, then...take the copies off to other fortresses, returning with new ones next Spring? Sell them to merchants? While scholars will stay put and study the works? Or go find new ones to study? Or pay adventurers to visit the local tower library and bring back a rare copy of The Dwarf -  My Biggest Mistake...?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:16:56 am by Shonai_Dweller »

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: May 18, 2015, 11:37:47 pm »

Does the new scholar occupation system mean that the old Philosopher Noble position is returning?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: May 19, 2015, 12:34:25 am »

What's the the mechanic of tree growing?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:27:35 am by jason0320 »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: May 19, 2015, 11:00:18 am »

Well, setting the tag to variable, if set to be variable, each time it's read would mean that the ethic could change every time the game is started, or any time the variable is read. It's unlikely that keeping the variable... on variable would work, because that means that the entity will have what I can call "severe mood swings" based on their ethics. May be a good thing, but probably not.

Each entity would need to be able to store a separate post randomized variable, which now that I think about it isn't that hard, you'd just need to add a whole extra line (or more) of code to tell the game to keep the set variable.
Civilization ethics currently can't be changed in an ongoing game so setting them to variable would randomize it for the one time that it's supposed to be randomized, then any further randomization would be ignored because the civilization already exists and ignores any changes to the entity raws. Or Toady could just code it to randomize once at the generation of each civilization to make sure nothing crazy happens, which would probably be quite easy.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: May 19, 2015, 09:30:15 pm »

I wonder if this means that dwarves will nurse their drinks if they're in a tavern. There's no point using a mug if you just down it in a single gulp anyway.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: May 20, 2015, 02:59:01 am »

Since visitors will be visiting local "establishments", will minting currency have a greater purpose than just to be used as an export item?

I'm not exactly sure what the exchange rate would be, like 1 golden coin for 10k elven bark currency notes? If this is even how it's going to work.

I can just see a possible expansion of the use of currency in this next update as a likely next step. Money for furniture/weapons/food/beer/bounties and whatnot.

What's the the mechanic of tree growing?
Coloured for legibility
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: May 20, 2015, 11:47:37 am »

Does the new scholar occupation system mean that the old Philosopher Noble position is returning?
No, it reconfirms that the noble position is deader than dodos, to be replaced by occupations of a philosophical bent like the scholar. A singular noble named Philosopher per civilization won't happen. Maybe a court philosopher or the like.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: May 20, 2015, 12:00:16 pm »

Would adventurers be able to fill their mugs with drinks from barrels?

Or better yet, the blood of their enemies?
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 306