Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834211 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1980 on: May 28, 2015, 11:01:14 pm »

Gold rings like with Sonic the Hedgehog?

Most "Will there ever" DF questions can be loosely answered with a "Yes" except where it conflicts with Toady's thematic scheme or is judged too gamey. Of course, continued and persuasive argument can change anyone's mind.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: May 28, 2015, 11:05:19 pm »

Will there ever be a way in adventure mode to cheat death? Not like vampires or undead, I'm talking something more like the bottled fairies from zelda or transfering your spirit to other people or things like in yugioh, you know what I'm saying?

You are a few versions to late for this. Bodysurfing (transfering your mind to a new body) was in after toady seperated the Mind frrom the body, you had to sleep in the right spot in adv. to activate that but then you could end up in cavern creatures and somesuch. Good times but it was a Bug and since fixed. That being said with the current Body/mind separation and association systems in place you it is possible in the future.

Iirc. in the forum for stories there was one guy/gal that used DF hack to summon the minds of Gods down into peasants so it cant be to far of coding vise. As always though no timetable.

Instaheals are possible with Modding. People noticed that wounds arent carried over in transformations and used that for Instaheals. In essence you would need a potion that transforms you into a fluffy wambler (and back) for 1 Tick which gives you a fully healed body.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: May 28, 2015, 11:38:54 pm »

You are a few versions to late for this. Bodysurfing (transfering your mind to a new body) was in after toady seperated the Mind frrom the body, you had to sleep in the right spot in adv. to activate that but then you could end up in cavern creatures and somesuch. Good times but it was a Bug and since fixed. That being said with the current Body/mind separation and association systems in place you it is possible in the future.

Iirc. in the forum for stories there was one guy/gal that used DF hack to summon the minds of Gods down into peasants so it cant be to far of coding vise. As always though no timetable.

Instaheals are possible with Modding. People noticed that wounds arent carried over in transformations and used that for Instaheals. In essence you would need a potion that transforms you into a fluffy wambler (and back) for 1 Tick which gives you a fully healed body.

I know it's possible, what I'm asking is if there's ever going to be an actual mechanic in-game that allows us to cheat death, like gaining the favor of a god or a trinket that rewinds time, it doesn't matter since I'm not asking for specifics anyway. I'm asking if it's something Toady plans to or wants to add to the game in some way or another.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: May 29, 2015, 10:02:03 am »

I don't think so. Well, perhaps if you become favoured by some god, or something. Or if you are a dirty, lowly tree-huger hippie, or goblin scum.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TBCoW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: May 30, 2015, 10:52:43 am »

One thing came to my mind when i was reading changelog about assimilating:

When a creature joins your fort and isn't assimilated yet and then happens to get a mood, does it create an artifact a dwarf would make or does it make an artifact related to items of former civilization this creature belonged to?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: May 30, 2015, 02:42:08 pm »

When a creature joins your fort and isn't assimilated yet and then happens to get a mood, does it create an artifact a dwarf would make or does it make an artifact related to items of former civilization this creature belonged to?
More likely the would simply be ineligible for moods.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: May 30, 2015, 07:04:14 pm »

More likely the would simply be ineligible for moods.
Strange moods can make an item of any type, regardless of whether the civilization can make it. Bowyers might make a completely useless artifact blowgun, or a weaponsmith could make a maul which dwarves can't even wield. Some mods have even added in weapons that no civilizations have access to as special secret artifact weapons. I think they might be more likely to make an item they can normally make, as I can't recall seeing any non-dwarf weapons in vanilla, but I haven't had many artifact weapons either.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: May 30, 2015, 07:07:21 pm »

Hm.

Are special dwarven martial arts done by secret dwarven monks in secret underground lairs going to be a thing?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: May 30, 2015, 10:35:41 pm »

Strange moods can make an item of any type, regardless of whether the civilization can make it. Bowyers might make a completely useless artifact blowgun, or a weaponsmith could make a maul which dwarves can't even wield. Some mods have even added in weapons that no civilizations have access to as special secret artifact weapons. I think they might be more likely to make an item they can normally make, as I can't recall seeing any non-dwarf weapons in vanilla, but I haven't had many artifact weapons either.
They just aren't eligible at all, I've done a lot of research on artifacts and such, the usual methods for forcing a mood just don't work on races outside the current fort race (i.e. if you are playing as humans they are the ones eligible, not dorfs who might live there) and npc's during adventurer mode just don't seem to respond at all, though I've tried all sorts of stuff to make one run off and make an artifact it hasn't happened yet. Though I did have limited success doing it with advfort and recently got an artifake script working successfully so I suppose I'm something of an expert on the subject now.

I also really hope Kisat Dur will be able to be made into a formal thing.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: May 30, 2015, 11:52:48 pm »

They just aren't eligible at all, I've done a lot of research on artifacts and such, the usual methods for forcing a mood just don't work on races outside the current fort race (i.e. if you are playing as humans they are the ones eligible, not dorfs who might live there) and npc's during adventurer mode just don't seem to respond at all, though I've tried all sorts of stuff to make one run off and make an artifact it hasn't happened yet. Though I did have limited success doing it with advfort and recently got an artifake script working successfully so I suppose I'm something of an expert on the subject now.

I also really hope Kisat Dur will be able to be made into a formal thing.
Well they might not be able to have strange moods now, but they also aren't able to do pretty much anything right now. So I wouldn't make any assumptions about multi-racial forts based off of current ones.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: May 31, 2015, 02:16:30 am »

Yeah, though he might be waiting to roll that into the artifact update.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: May 31, 2015, 08:22:34 am »

The devlog about parchment making mentioned "the new ability to place improvements on products". What does this mean, exactly? Is the decoration/improvement system being extended? Overhauled?

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: May 31, 2015, 10:04:26 am »

Toady, what are your personal feelings towards the "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" situation that currently exists with regards to adventure mode personality?  By which I mean, you are possessing an individual who has their own personality (even if we now get to choose what that may be) and can only watch as you use their body to do whatever, leaving them the freedom only to weep uncontrollably at the death and murder you cause.

Do you feel like this is a bug, to be removed in the future if possible, or is it a feature (that could maybe be communicated to the player better, like being able to talk to the person you are possessing)?

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: May 31, 2015, 10:12:26 am »

The devlog about parchment making mentioned "the new ability to place improvements on products". What does this mean, exactly? Is the decoration/improvement system being extended? Overhauled?
It's something he devlogged about on the 5 Feb when he coded for generated musical instruments ["components made of various materials (though they work like item improvements on the final product)"].  My interpretation: When a new item is generated from component items, it uses an existing 'improvements' property to store the material of each component used (e.g. a scroll made from a pine roller and a cedar roller with a lambskin sheet).  And it sounds like this can be generically specified in the raws (a scroll is created from two rollers and a sheet, add an improvement: 'a scroll made from a %1% roller and a %2% roller and a %3% sheet' (or maybe 3 separate improvement entries)).  I'm surprised he didn't just link back to the original component items, but then he'd have to code a dynamic/meta OO system that I'd imagine is quite hard to code/debug.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: May 31, 2015, 07:45:34 pm »

It means that you don't have to make another reaction to add IMPROVEMENTs to PRODUCTs, instead just allowing IMPROVEMENTs to be attached to PRODUCTs as they're made.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 306