Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1841501 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2115 on: June 17, 2015, 12:21:40 am »

Yeah, it's a tricky one. Could work like a mood though.
Bitten fisherdwarf is diagnosed with weretortoise infection, none of the medicine in the cupboard will do the job, so the doctor (or herbalist or someone) starts running around collecting all the ingredients in a race against time.

Herbalist screams 'I must have unicorn tears!!'.
Caravan is fresh out.
Herbalist goes insane, and kills half the inn.
Weretortoise takes out the rest.

Sounds pretty Fun to me. :)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: June 17, 2015, 01:46:47 am »

Nah, see, that's where scholars come in. You can read through your accumulated library, and see if there's any books about were-creature cures.

Just hope they're more accurate than mideval vampire cures.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: June 17, 2015, 01:48:59 am »

Right now Dwarves are diagnosed by a doctor and the medical team use the resources to hand to fix the problem. There's no need for the player to do anything but keep the hospital stocked up. The only thing extra needed in this case is a medicine cabinet and some chemists to keep it stocked up. Doesn't sound too complicated.

Doing specific things like hunting unicorns and mixing up potions step at a time seems more appropriate for adventure mode.

If you're talking about procedurally selected cures to procedurally generated syndromes and diseases, however, "keeping your hospital stocked" may involve tossing in every random extract and excretion of every plant and creature to ever exist.  You'd need some method of throttling or else candy stitches are going to be the least of your hospital-controlling concerns. 

Beyond that, you, at some point, need the capacity to actually gather said unicorn tears in the first place, and then designate them for stocking your hospital. 
Well, you can solve this with either the "stock the hospital with everything!" approach, or adding a "rumors" tab to the Z screen, allowing diplomats to bring tales of supposed cures and other news, and store Liason stuff under the Rumors tab, so that you can know in advance what the cure might be and stock the hospital with those things.

Nah, see, that's where scholars come in. You can read through your accumulated library, and see if there's any books about were-creature cures.

Or this. This would work too.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: June 17, 2015, 02:10:47 am »

How about, now that we have inns and taverns, you get to hire adventurers to bring the special ingredients you need for a cure if you don't have them?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: June 17, 2015, 02:16:23 am »

How about, now that we have inns and taverns, you get to hire adventurers to bring the special ingredients you need for a cure if you don't have them?
Chances are they don't have time to leave the map and come back before the patient dies.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: June 17, 2015, 05:22:36 am »

Yeah, the unicorn tears line was just an extrapolation of my pie in the sky dreams for a future DF. These days I mostly play DF in my head while I wait for Today to catch up.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: June 17, 2015, 05:46:22 am »

Excellent!
Injured Fisherdwarf is diagnosed with weretortoise infection
Doctor rushes off to library and demands a cure
Urist McAmateur the new scholar scribbles down a recipe
Urist McHerbalist rushes around in a mood gathering ingredients
Recipe is made by Urist McChemist and given to the patient just in time
Recipe is found to be useless due to Urist's poor knowledge
Weretortoise wipes out half the fortress
Library is burned down by lynch mob

The age of Dwarven cooperation is upon us!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: June 17, 2015, 07:10:55 am »

Urist didn't want to let on that he had no idea how to cure the weretortoise disease, so he made something up.  "We need diorite and polar bear liver and... and faint yellow diamonds, yeah that's the ticket."

Unfortunately for Urist's reputation, the next couple caravans were very well-stocked...
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: June 17, 2015, 07:26:35 am »

If we're talking far-far-future of the fortress (and why not? It's fun) I think you guys are forgetting that the gods are real. It would make more sense to petition the gods for knowledge of the cure or an intermediary like a priest or a sage. DF gods seem to be fickle and petty in a way similar to Greek and Roman gods. Just because the deity was the source of a curse doesn't mean they'd withhold knowledge of the cure when asked. Or you could get the answer from an different/opposing god or other power. In stories the quest for knowledge of a cure is often just as much a part of the plot as the quest for the cure once it's known. I'd only bother with something as slow as scientific experimentation if the gods come up blank first. Gods existing also impacts on the "tech trees" Toady is implementing I think, but I'll wait and see before forming an opinion that might become a suggestion.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: June 17, 2015, 04:35:35 pm »

This would have to be a system if you have certain required animal parts.

I mean, if you require giant red panda back toenails or ice wolf nervous tissue for a cure, and it's not on the map, you pretty much would have to commission the animal to be found.  (Or retire and set off as an adventurer, yourself...)

All things considered, unless the preferences screen has an overhaul, this sort of thing would be preferable, anyway, as it's kind of ridiculous that dwarves from tropical climates all prefer ice wolf milk or something. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: June 18, 2015, 10:39:56 am »

Soo.... can we have zombie virus now?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: June 18, 2015, 11:34:48 am »

Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: June 18, 2015, 12:16:40 pm »

If we port over a save from 0.40 to the new version, will we get visitors?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: June 18, 2015, 02:15:14 pm »

If we port over a save from 0.40 to the new version, will we get visitors?
Assuming the saves do stay compatible (last we heard, they were, but that could change still), visitors would be one of the few features available to old saves in the new version, since some classes of potential visitors already exist in those worlds - mercenaries, beast hunters, and such.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: June 18, 2015, 02:16:41 pm »

Sweet!
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 306