Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834238 times)

tahu16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2130 on: June 19, 2015, 06:59:18 am »

What is your plan regarding the rest of the literature? Will we ever see novels, epics and other "entertaining" books?

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: June 19, 2015, 08:33:40 am »

What is your plan regarding the rest of the literature? Will we ever see novels, epics and other "entertaining" books?
Your last post implies there are different research subjects from people like naturalists.  How many more research fields are we going to see and are they going to be of any use? Are we going to see people like chemists, geologists, material scientists, and physicists making books too? An earlier post also implied stories can be told.  Will books be a medium for storytelling?
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: June 22, 2015, 12:00:44 am »

From the latest devlog it seems like villages may have more of a Star Wars Cantina vibe due to all the animal men.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: June 22, 2015, 04:43:52 am »

The massive prevalence of animal men seems like the sort of thing that will be interesting for a few versions and then eventually get dialed way back when the novelty wears off.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: June 22, 2015, 05:10:26 am »

Or maybe, just maybe, as a little theory, the two animal men just stood out of the mostly-unmentioned mass of dwarves, humans, and elves that surrounded them.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: June 22, 2015, 05:22:40 am »

Or maybe, just maybe, as a little theory, the two animal men just stood out of the mostly-unmentioned mass of dwarves, humans, and elves that surrounded them.
That's a distinct possibility to be sure; the latest devlog does take on a bit of a lackadaisical meander and the devlogs go for what's interesting regardless, though usually as a contrast to the new (or intended) norm. At any rate, I'd say that even two animal men in a village should be the exception rather than the norm, for the sake of keeping them interesting.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: June 22, 2015, 05:40:40 am »

From the devlog, it was a large (or at least largish) town, though, and Toady mentioned somewhere that the animal people are all historical people rather than entity populations right now, so it doesn't particularly surprise me that they could be found in positions that are filled by historical people. It's a bit too early to call cantina conditions with two animal people out of what could be 300 or more inhabitants. It could point to animal people settlers being too common, but right now, it doesn't seem like that to me.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #2137 on: June 22, 2015, 07:53:47 am »

How do the taverns work for Elves or Goblins? Dwarves and humans seem like they'd be pretty standard 'put walls around a tap and some chairs' affair. Do Elves and Goblins have taverns? Do they even have a cultural equivalent, or are you thinking that Elves/Goblins do something radically different as a passtime?

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: June 22, 2015, 09:19:59 am »

How do the taverns work for Elves or Goblins? Dwarves and humans seem like they'd be pretty standard 'put walls around a tap and some chairs' affair. Do Elves and Goblins have taverns? Do they even have a cultural equivalent, or are you thinking that Elves/Goblins do something radically different as a passtime?

Elves/Goblins do something radically different as a passtime?

I feel like I should pull Snoop Mango out from the Blind drunk thread again...

EDIT: Here you go.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:26:12 am by Alfrodo »
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: June 22, 2015, 10:09:27 am »

Elf civs have, I think, drinking trees?  Basically, it's a tree where they ferment stuff and get tipsy while standing on narrow tree branches.  What could possibly go wrong? (Besides, of course, a few elves NOT falling off...)

Goblin civs, meanwhile, don't need to drink anything, but they also have a social "order" based mostly upon "might makes right" and extreme libertarianism/anarchy.  As such, they probably drink alcohol for the giggles frequently between rounds of snorting lines of other mind-altering substances off of kidnapped children and social inferior torture parties. 

As for the animalpeople, there are a huge variety of them, but they also seem to be rather rare, at least, outside of them being absorbed into a "real" civ.  Naturally having a shell or claws are no match for an organized military, and they are rather short-lived.  Given what was in "Root", one would expect them to be most heavily aligned with elf civs, although maybe more peaceful members of subterranean races will be common in dwarf civs.  I look forward to finding out that I have the bat man in one of my immigrant waves.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:14:02 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: June 25, 2015, 09:18:26 pm »

Visitors are drawn from historical figures rather than randomly generated, right? Is it possible to follow around mercenaries, dance troupes and such in adventure mode and see them visit and settle in fortresses? Or to be a visitor yourself and petition for citizenship in one of your own retired forts?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: June 27, 2015, 01:25:22 am »

I assume the latest devlog points to the game recognizing the influence of the seasons on daylight. Do you have any ideas about how this would be expanded, if it ever is- day-night cycles in fort mode, or eternal summer days in polar regions?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2142 on: June 27, 2015, 04:05:18 am »

(that last bit was just about the current northwest US heat wave)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #2143 on: June 27, 2015, 04:10:33 am »

I assume the latest devlog points to the game recognizing the influence of the seasons on daylight. Do you have any ideas about how this would be expanded, if it ever is- day-night cycles in fort mode, or eternal summer days in polar regions?

I'm not sure how day and night cycles could be properly represented in fort mode, but I also don't think that's what he meant.

Edit: Doh! ;]
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: June 27, 2015, 08:54:32 am »

Will I be able to recreate the Casablanca moment where the goblin occupation forces sing their songs in the Inn, and as I start to sing the anthem of oppressed folk other join me outvoicing the hated goblins? :)
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 306